• This topic has 34 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ianv.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Scateboarding trainers on flat pedals?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I was in TKmaxx today looking for some bargains and came across some skateboarding trainers with nice grippy soles and wondered if they're suitable for flat pedals. I can't really afford to buy the proper thing at the moment but maybe these will do the job almost as well?

highclimber
    Free Member

I use skate board trainers on my wahwahs. perfectly fine. but Im saving for some 5tens

Esme
    Free Member

Some instructors reckon you shouldn't use cycling shoes with flat pedals, as they're too stiff, and you can't "feel" the pedal.

So trainers with grippy soles sound ideal!

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Ok thanks. I'll be getting some wah wah's myself so that's nice to know.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Sure they'll be fine. Personally I use 5.10's on v12's and are a good match indeed, Fox trainers ''stewart'' are a good option also as iirc, they retail for £35.

GiantJaunt – you still need a firm spring for your pikes as I have one for sale at the moment?

wors

I got some cheap skate shoes from wyndsors, grippy as ****.

sambob
    Free Member

vans are nice and grippy 🙂

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

GiantJaunt – you still need a firm spring for your pikes as I have one for sale at the moment?

No but thanks for asking. I eventually got one.

Northwind

Yup, I ride often in an old pair of Vans, I have AM40s (best) and 5 10s (second best) but the Vans do the job very well too. People will bang on about grip on the pedals but any half-sensible shoe will give more than enough grip unless you're really pushing it, provided you have any sense of footwork.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I'm a real tart with trainers and would never risk any of my predominantly limited edition/rare Vans (Era mainly, but some Authentic, Old Skool, Mid Skool too) so I use an old pair of Etnies LoCut.

Wish Duffs hadn't turned their backs on skateboarding, anyone remember the Strombolies? Best skate shoes I ever had.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thanks I'll check out those other brands too. The ones I liked best today in TKMAX were Adio Kenny Anderson for £25. They seemed a bit grippier than the others and were quite bling too. 😛

jahwomble
    Free Member

I wear Vans and Element trainers (which I usually get from TXmaxx) and love 'em.

_tom_
    Free Member

I use Vans and they grip fine. Look shite though – too big and bulky.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

It would be nice to have ones that take less than a week to dry out and provide a bit of feel for the pedals. I use Nike's at the moment which take about 4 days to dry out and you can't feel much.

jahwomble
    Free Member

"I use Vans and they grip fine. Look shite though – too big and bulky. "

The Elements I wear look like vans but are usually made of canvas or hemp, not as bulky and stickier than my vans and dry out in a few hours as well.

juiced
    Free Member

adios should be fine.

onewheelgood

I use etnies on my unicycle with DMR copies. Work really well.

bassspine
    Free Member

skate shoes and flats rule. I have DC WR range shoes – stands for Weather Resistant = pretty much waterprooof. Good value!

rich-6
    Free Member

I ride in Adio Kenny V2s i think 😕 I've had them a year and now are sadly coming to the end of their life but they are fantastic with V8s 🙂

RustyNissanPrairie

old school vans low tops-good enough for eddie fiola & andy ruffle and stop you looking like a 5.10 fashion victim

jam-bo

5:10 and fashion!!!! Now there is a concept…..

stanfree
    Free Member

These look ok and are cheap enough to wreck .

crustygoods
    Free Member

I use Converse All Stars with my DMR V8 pedals, and they work a dream! Plenty of feel and grip, and not too hot either

yunki
    Free Member

vans with a waffle sole here on any flat pedal with a decent pin length.. although in the past I have mostly just used whatever knackered old skate shoe happens to be kicking around at the time..

julianwilson
    Free Member

I use vans.

Alternatively, buy your wah-wahs from superstar components
    for £20-25 less (spot the difference!) and spend the difference on some nicer shoes!

loulouk
    Free Member

Etnies & DMR's here too. I've not come off the pedals yet. Pedals have eaten my legs but that's different. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

I Use Nika Mogans on my v12s. Comfy, grippy and got them in the sale for £27.

….also they are UV reactive which I never realised till the sun came out.

Murray

What about running shoes? Reason I ask is that I'm doing a Questars race next week on flat pedals for the first time and I'm wondering if I can save time by just leaving my runners on. Will they get trashed?

P.S. Runners don't work very well on SPDs as I found out last time when I forgot my bike shoes 🙁

Xylene
    Free Member

I wish I had read this last week when I bought new trainers.

I have old Columbia shoes with naff all grips on the sole now, but they always felt really good and sticky on my V8 copies.

Was in Sports Direct and saw some Karrimore shoes, thought that they would do the job, nice and chunky grips, no more sliding on the mud.
    WRONG – crap they are, feet fly off the pedals at every opportunuty.

Going to buy myself some flat shoes again

martinxyz
    Free Member

mountain biking on old style vans waffle soles can get a bit painful after a while so be aware. i can handle them around a bmx track but continuous riding down stuff on the mtb they just get unbearable. (ok ok, i was thinking of ben nevis descending for over an hour. maybe a bit over the top)
    aim for a stiffer midsole.you will find vans with them.. but you might have to go feel around a bit in the shoe stores if you dont know the construction before you order.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Vans have some BMX specific shoes like the Whip 2 that are well worth a go, Etnies also have some BMX specific designs.

Less emphasis on reinforced uppers (if anyone has worked out how to kickflip a BMX let me know!) with more effort dedicated to bombproof soles.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Alternatively, buy your wah-wahs from superstar components

Nice one. Are they identical pedals other than the logo?

shureimage
    Free Member

Personaly never got on with the adios on the bike or skateboard, vans waffle sole or dc's pill pattern sole always worked for me, get a few dc's in tk max as well.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

as a flat pedal newbie I have lost confidence in foot/pedal contact and prefer flexible Vans with thin soles where I can feel the pedal, to stiffer soled five tens where I couldnt feel the pedal at all. I also couldnt feel any difference in grip between waffle-soled Vans and the five tens. Anything more than "enough" is probably too much.

Like others I relegate everyday shoes to riding shoes when they get old and knackered, and also get Vans and Etnies from TK (rad to the) MAXX.

ianv
    Free Member

The adio Kenny Andersons have a sole that is too thin, I reckon. Look for something a bit more solid.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Scateboarding trainers on flat pedals?’ is closed to new replies.