Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Scaphoid Fracture Recovery Time?
  • chrispy

Hey all,
    I am having my cast removed in a few days time as I have now had a cast on for 8 weeks. Hopefully it has healed by now!
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience of how long it takes from getting a cast removed to being able to ride properly again.
    Im guessing I won't be able to start climbing again straight away either.

Thanks!

lagerfanny
    Free Member

I had my cast removed 22 years ago & it's never been 100% 😯

chrispy

Yikes!
    They said the fracture was very clear on the xray but it hadn't dissociated. Hoping that means it should heal ok!

Smee
    Free Member

First question – could you ever ride properly? 😉

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Loads of loss of strength when I did mine, 2-3 weeks started to feel more normal but would catch myself out regularly for weeks afterwards.

chrispy

Well, that is debatable. 😉
    Proberly not as I managed to fracture my wrist on the very first ride on my nice new orange 5. Typical 🙁

domino

The advice I was given was to not ride for 6 weeks, in reality I rode after 4 or 5 weeks.

Garry_Lager

Expect the wrist to be sore when the cast comes off – obvious I suppose but I remember being surprised at how tender it felt when they first cut the cast off.
    Get as much advice as you can on physio when you're there – echoing the fatbloke mine can still get sore ten years after (although never had a problem when riding). I've seen a physio in the interim and been told that initial exercises can make all the difference.

munkster
    Free Member

Mine didn't feel totally "right" again for at least a year TBH…

grim168
    Free Member

Its a slow process due to the crap blood supply it gets. I was in plaster for three months and had trouble for about 6 months.

Sorry to say this

It could be a while until you can cope with your bike, vibration and bumps will be very painful. Climbing I was ok with a lot sooner apart from the obvious loss of strength and found it helped with rehabilitaion of my wrist. worse pain ever was driving and hitting my wrist with my other hand when crossing hands while steering

Good luck hope you heal well

darrell
    Free Member

about a year for me to stop noticing it…..but actually about 2 years before it really stopped giving me gip

2hottie
    Free Member

I did this a year and a half ago.

Then broke it three weeks after the cast came off by going over the bars!!! hurts like a mo fo when cold. I mean the bones actually ache!! I know mine will NEVER be the same again as it already cracks and clicks all the time. Best thing is to take it slow. I can ride now but still get aches after a downhill. Follow this guide, http://www.oxfordradcliffe.nhs.uk/forpatients/patientinfoleaflets_updatedOct07/wrist_fracture.pdf

good luck. Ps look at getting a powerball.

BillyBull
    Free Member

Had mine pinned and was back riding unofficially three months later with the support still on. Then moved on to 661 wrist support and now after 6 months went to Inners with nothing on the wrist but aches a bit. Neoprene wrist support going on next time. Even played rugby a month ago lifting in the line out.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

When i broke mine, i rode on the road a lot more. I found it a lot less painful than the continual jarring off road.
    Incidentally, it took about 3/4 months before i could grip properly enough to ride off road without pain

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Squeeze a squash ball between your thumb and forefinger*

*probably won't help but it will remind you to be more careful

😉 Good luck and about 4-6 weeks after the cast comes off before it feels sort of right

chrispy

Blimey, not a hugely positive response :).
    I wonder if peoples fractures have been worst to start with? I have full flexibility in all my fingers and thumb, can carry bags, drive, open doors. etc with the cast on so im hoping it won't be too weak when the cast is removed.
    Is it worth buying one of those 661 wrist supports to start with?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I was turbo training with a cast on and riding a week after it came off. I was a bit of a race head back then, not these days. The physio thought i was mad but even she admitted that me using it helped speed up to a nearly full recovery. There was a bit of pain/discomfort at first but IMHO you should just warm up to it with gentle rides at first and see how it hurts. And then keep pushing it.

It is pinned hence my user name.

Bregante

2hottie, cheers for that link – very informative. I am in the same boat as the OP having fractured my scaphoid 4 weeks ago. I am in my cast until 23rd December, so not expecting to ride until at least February!!!!

Already got a powerball after a similar fracture (other hand) exactly 12 months ago 😳

alanf
    Free Member

Had a triple fracture including schaphoid, ulna and radius which I had surgery on and cast on for 8 weeks also.
    I would suggest using it gently at first but building up gradually so maybe do some fairly smooth rides at first before going full on down hill.
    Like other posters have said though, its not as it was before, hurts when its cold and clicks and makes strange noises but doesn't stop me doing anything I would have before.
    Its good to use it as it will build the bone up again and make it stronger just don't do too much too soon

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Scaphoid Fracture Recovery Time?’ is closed to new replies.