Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • SAWS: Makita, DeWalt or…….
  • qwerty
    Free Member

jig, circular & mitre

eye iz stihl well confused

Stoner
    Free Member

circular=hitachi

mandog

pleased with my dewalt chop saw. it’s the smallest in the range but can be easily carted around.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Budjit?

qwerty
    Free Member

Budjit?

maxin out at 650ish inglish dollars

domestic home use (new home purchase with projects in pipeline), to last a fair while so i can sever my fingers when i’m old ad blind

maccruiskeen

Makita for Jigsaws everytime, this dewalt mitre saw is rock-solid and really easy to set up square and stay square .

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Trade or DIY?

Ie, how much use will they get?

qwerty
    Free Member

add

to sliding mitre or not to sliding mitre

to the Qs

slimraybob
    Free Member

Bosch for jigsaws, all the rest are silly toys
    Dewalt for mitre saws, should be able to pick up a bullet proof dw705 (used) for under a ton
    Hilti or Hitachi for circular saws, but I swear by my dw364 (us import)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Anyhoo…

Circular, any decent make really. I have a hitachi which is great. But a Makita will also be good.

Jigsaw: Makita or Blue Bosch (135 BCE FTW…easy lever for angled cut).

Chopsaw: Sliding every time. The small DeWalt one is great but there’s a Hitachi for around the same money which is catching my eye. It has the advantage of having twin slides rather than one.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Makita sliding

project
    Free Member

The B AND Q own brand are quite good as cross cut saws.makita for drils , avoid Dewalt, theyre over priced, and makita or Bosch for Jigsaws.

Screwfix or Toolstation for cheaper prices and usually instant replacement as opposed to sending it back somewher to get them fixed.

alpin
    Free Member

i’d recommend makita over dewalt…. dewalt chop/mitre saws feel plasticy in comparison to makita. also their batteries, altough ok, aren’t a match on makita’s…

i’ve got a Metabo choppy. a thing of beauty. big bugger though. i paid 450 and that was under trade price. probably a bit pricey though, if you’ve only got 650 notes for the lot.

i had a makita skill saw, but some ***** stole when i was doing a job in Tilbury. nice bit of kit.

as for a jigsaw…. again i’d say makita. at work i have a festtool jigsaw, but again, it’s pricey…

maccruiskeen

The B AND Q own brand are quite good as cross cut saws

The trouble with their own brand stuff is changing all the time – new ‘brands’ and new models appearing and disappearing week in week out. Sometime its a gem – I paid £60 for a little sliding cross-cut saw in a sale (reduced from £120) and its was the best I’ve ever had and lasted me years, but everything of theirs I’ve seen since has been garbage by comparison

add

to sliding mitre or not to sliding mitre
    to the Qs

Only go for sliding if you need it, either because you’ll cut boards that big or because you need to make trenching cuts. You pay much more for quality or get much less quality for your money with a slider. Go somewhere where you can actually get your hands on the machine – drop the blade into the slot and wiggle the handle, with a good saw there should hardly be any movement side to side but I’ve found even with £600 – £700 sliders the blade can slop about all over the place, both moving side to side and twisting. Its kind of the whole point of the machine that it shouldn’t do that. Apart from the little B&Q one above I’ve never laid hands on a sliding mitre saw that I’d be happy to spend my money on.

pitduck
    Free Member

i use to work in plant hire and makita lasted the longest. 🙂

stayhigh

I have a Makita circular saw in excellent barely used condition that is looking for a new home. Mail me for more details if interested.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘SAWS: Makita, DeWalt or…….’ is closed to new replies.