• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by P20.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Satmap, Garmin 800, Memorymap 3500 or something else??
  • P20

We’re looking at getting a gps unit. We’d like it to be able to record our rides, plot routes so we can follow them and show our location on at least a 1:50k map. We’re looking at the Garmin 800 (current favourite), satmap and memorymap 3500.
    Currently I use my iPhone with motionx for tracking and memorymap for navigating when walking. I don’t use it when biking as it’s too much hassle taking it in and out of the bag and I don’t want to mount my phone on the bars.

So between the three units above, what’s your thoughts? We have the memory map system for the pc, so presumably we don’t need to buy more maps. I’m not sure however on the all up cost of each system by the time you buy the maps. Does anyone have a rough idea of the all up cost of the unit plus full uk maps on either 1:50 or 1:25?

Cheers for any help

scaredypants

my mate has a satmap – seems fantastic to me

not sure you can use MMaps with it though

Nezbo
    Free Member

I have a Garmin Dakota 20 with 1/50k maps, I use it for following routes, and because it uses AA batteries (easy batteries to get at any shop if they go flat and easy to get multiple rechargeable ones). The screen is not as big as some but it does me fine. I have recently found if I turn the back light right down the batteries will last well over 9 hours (battery indicator still on full)

Great little device.

P20

Nezbo, any idea what the all up costs and which maps you have?
    Forgot to mention that the various training functions on the 800 won’t be necessary

josh1982
    Free Member

I have worked with and used the satmap unit lots over the last few years and agree it is a fantastic piece of kit. Recently I have started working with a Magellan explorist 310 running 1:50 os maps on it. In my opinion it is a mini satmap with more user friendly interface and menus. RRP is about £180 plus £50 for full GB 1:50 OS.

Trailblazer outdoors in Pickering, North Yorks should have stock as soon as its available in the UK which is any day now.

Hope this helps

gusamc
    Free Member

can get satmap inc uk:50 for about 325ish (*if you’re lucky and shop around)

Also MM on computer I upload routes via Satsync (*free download from satmap site), works fine.

Only issue I had with satmap is as map SD card is ‘secure’ it corrupted when I tried to back it up, but they sent a free replacement under warranty.

Nezbo
    Free Member

I got mine off here, but I have seen them for around £250 inc OS Maps, but I can’t remember where. I forgot to mention that the mount is a bit week, but I have got a RAM mount (bit bulky) and it works a treat.

P20

Cheers I’ll have a look at the dakota. We’re on hols at the moment and working with mobile non 3G connections, so browsing is a little tricky!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Satmap, Garmin 800, Memorymap 3500 or something else??’ is closed to new replies.