Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Santa Cruz Tall Boy….
  • yossarian
    Free Member

Getting on a treat with my first 29er despite 'only' being 5ft 11 😉 , and I'm starting to look at full suss big wheelers

Any owners opinions? pics of course please!

willsimmons
    Free Member

I have one, it rocks. No built pics though

colint
    Free Member

Please don't post any pics, my credit card can;t take the strain and I sooooo want one of these

pedalhead
    Free Member

If it rides like the bastard child of my Blur LTc and Pegasus, I'd rather like one!

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Yeah, I'm leaning that way too. Though, what are the full-sus 29 alternatives?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Turner Sultan

MrTall
    Free Member

I have a Salsa Big Mama and love it. All my main bikes are now 29ers.

Full Suss is still a bit niche but the main players are Niner, Gary Fisher, Kona, Salsa, Turner, Specialized (US only), Giant, Rocky Mountain and a few other boutique brands (Lenz etc). I've probably forgotten somebody in that list as well.

There were come very good deals on small and medium Big Mama's a while back – around $600 (frame only) when they retailed in the UK for £1400.

daveells
    Free Member

They are sh1te ,don't waste your money.IMHO 😉

timmys

For 2011 Specialized seem to be listing the 29er Stumpjumper FSR on their UK website.

colint
    Free Member

Spesh will be releasing some in the UK, prices as follows:

There will be an s-works epic 29er (£6599.99), an epic 29er carbon (£2999.99) and a stumpjumper 29er (£2999.99).
    Release dates:
    Epic s-works Dec. 20th
    Epic carbon Dec. 20th
    Stumpjumper Dec. 20th

keavo
    Free Member

alternatives? salsa big mama a poor mans tallboy or so i read somewhere. liking mine now that i have had it a while. the fact it was only $600 is a bonus even though i'm not really poor

willsimmons
    Free Member

Giant aren't bringing in any at the moment, the frames have been recalled. I think people will have a long wait to get hold of one, I predict spring next year.

Bream
    Free Member

🙁

I was really hoping the Giant would be here sooner rather than later!

What do people think about the weight of the Anthem 29er in comparison to the carbon Superfly 100 and Tallboy?

The Tallboy is some 750 USD more than the Anthem and there seems to be no stock of the Superfly frames!

Bream
    Free Member

And does anyone know anything about the Niner RIP 9, seems to be some good deals on the frames only in the US?

willsimmons
    Free Member

ACTUAL weight of my large Tallboy frame with headset cups was 5.5 lbs (2500 g). Giant are claiming the same for their frames but don't know if anyone has actually had one in their hands to weigh yet. 2500 g sounds very good for an Alu frame but Giant do seem to be the masters of Alu. You might expect to the TB to be stiffer though at the same weight, that is just idle speculation on my part though!

Not keen on the Superfly only because you need G2 forks which at shorter travel lengths to suit they SF they are not available in bolt through. IMO bolt through makes quite a difference on a 29er fork with longer legs and well worth getting.

I like my TB but there is no getting away from the fact that it is expensive. I have a few connections and was able to get a very good deal on mine, not sure I'd want to be paying full price for one though.

willsimmons
    Free Member

RIP9 is HEAVY (7+ lbs?), if that sort of thing bothers you. I guess it does from your earlier post.

rOcKeTdOg

There will be an s-works epic 29er (£6599.99)

how F***ing much??? 😯

Bream
    Free Member

I like my TB but there is no getting away from the fact that it is expensive. I have a few connections and was able to get a very good deal on mine, not sure I'd want to be paying full price for one though.

Any chance you could help me get a similar deal 😉 Would be sure to make it worth your while with beer tokens or similar 8) No way I'm paying RRP!

I think the TB maybe what I'm after now moving away from the SF and I can't wait this spring 11 for the anthem!

willsimmons
    Free Member

In short, NO! Several years busting my gut racing and working in the trade have earnt me a few deals here and there. If you want it cheap buy from the US and take the risk that nothing will happen in the miserly 2 year warranty period that comes with them.

Bream
    Free Member

Fair enough, I know how that goes, I have plenty of similar contacts for kit but nothing for SC 🙁

sillyoldman

Re Superfly – you don't NEED G2 forks – that's just how it's intended to be used.

I've got the Niner rigid carbon fork on my Superfly hardtail, and prefer the handling with the 45mm offset compared to the 51mm G2 Fox fork that was on it. I supect however that's partially due to the fact that the rigid fork steers less sloppily….

The aftermarket 29'er forks from Fox/RS are 44mm offset now I think, so a "compatible" bolt-thru fork is available.

The other option would be to swap the lowers on the G2 fork for a bolt-thru version.

I'd loooove a shot on a Tallboy though..

willsimmons
    Free Member

Only if you buy from the US for RS though, Fisher's usefully don't bring them in and hence you have no warranty. If you get them on a bike you are covered.

Bimbler
    Free Member
    glynP
    Free Member

wish they would bring out a small boy 😥

shortcut

I saw the pricing on the Anthem X and nearly spit my tea out all over the computer. Same with the Spesh Epic and Stumpy. Someone is having a laugh.

Would prefer to build my own based around an on-one ti or carbon 29er frame and sacrifice the full suss which I don’t really need on the 29er if I am honest.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Tall Boy….’ is closed to new replies.