• This topic has 60 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Santa Cruz Nomad – How good?
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Considering that the redesign wasn’t that long ago it’s pretty good going on YT’s part.

Not seen any Nomads crack around the head tube yet, like I haven’t seen any 21 page threads dedicated to cracking Nomad MK3’s. Nor does it seem that Santa Cruz have had to redesign the drop outs of the Nomad, maybe because their engineers are better.

kimbers

engineers better….. because theyve just had more experience with cracked frames 🙂
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cracked-sc-trc-tallboy-carbon-frames

id happily assume that a nomad is less likely to crack than a capra, im just not convinced that a handful of cracked capra frames (all warrantied as i understand) is worth several thousand pounds, when both bikes are otherwise very similar

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I wouldn’t spend the money, Santa Cruz’s are expensive but there are other brands at half decent prices about these days with better UK support. Unless you absolutely have to have your bike shod in BOS suspension.

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

So…how come time and time again I’m reading that the Bronson just isn’t great? As was said earlier in the thread, CG rode one this weekend presumably in preference to the Nomad.

squoglybob
    Free Member

Which other brands at half decent prices are there that will warranty a Frame at 4 years old AND because it cant be replaced with Alu they upgrade you with Carbon?

Then because the old wheel size is now defunct they help out towards a bigger wheel size?

Not only that, you can drive straight to the importers door and tell them how pissed you are with their customer care, i doubt you can beat that, only a fool would want better customer care than face to face with the importer. Mine’s got no BOS suspension on it. But then again i was given it by their shoddy customer care.

As a comparison my mate recieved a yellow swing arm on his specialized that was Silver when it snapped and it never ligned up properly again. another comparison with Spesh at just over 2 years and NO warranty on a cracked frame due to mis use.

You get what you for.

duir
    Free Member

CG rode one this weekend presumably in preference to the Nomad because Santa Cruz told him to, just like they told him to ride and rave about their 29’er a while back.

CG is brilliant advertising for any bike whether he does well on it or not.

squoglybob
    Free Member

Snorkelsucker, CG is paid to ride the brand dont forget that, he has done SC a great service on the NOMAD in the EWS and the BRONSON has kind of took a back seat, they will be trying to shift more units. Maybe.

I’ve found that the NOMAD is pretty long in the wheelbase and sen that Rotorua is tight and switchbacky, maybe he wanted something shorter and flicky. who knows, but of the 8 or 10 people i ride with they all have grat things to say about the BRONSON.

If you are unsure i’d go ride one. You will be best placed to make the call yourself then.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Very happy Bronson owner, been impressed by Santa Cruz quality and robust design.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So…how come time and time again I’m reading that the Bronson just isn’t great? As was said earlier in the thread, CG rode one this weekend presumably in preference to the Nomad.

All the Bronson owners I’ve met have been really happy (some very capable riders)

I’ve found that the NOMAD is pretty long in the wheelbase and sen that Rotorua is tight and switchbacky,

About to look up the EWS footage but from the track names listed I’d say thats not right.

Bike Culture in Roto had 6 Nomad builds on and about another 10 in the pipeline waiting for another delivery of frames last time i was in.

On CG riding what he’s told to I think he seems to just travel with choices, was he not on a tallboy LT at tweedlove?

As with anything just ride it.

stewartc
    Free Member

So…how come time and time again I’m reading that the Bronson just isn’t great?

The handful of owners I know love theirs, and one of them is a regular on the KOM list here with his. The only complaints I have seen is the bottom pivot design seems to be prone to getting smashed up if you ride very rocky trails (had that with my TRc also).

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

their expecting a magic carpet.

If you want to ride fast and hard then its a great bike. In one year mines been to Portugal, Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Italy Apennines, India and UK Enduros and it hasn’t put a foot wrong. Next stop BC Canada Trans Rockies in July then on to another couple weeks in the Rockies. Right wrong bike? Dont know but it suits my current style and ability to hit stuff without being deflected 😉

Demo one, if you like it great go ride, if not move on theirs lots of good bikes out there. Nomad looks a great bike too, havent tried one yet but who knows …..

jam-bo

my LBS has a bronson demo in at the moment that is apparently a world apart from the one they had last year. I rode the previous one and it was a a bit meh. I haven’t ridden this one but it has a completely different shock tune etc and it’s transformed the ride.

squoglybob
    Free Member

Mike, PLEASE wear ear defense whilst watching the footage, the commentators are BAD< think CARS the Movie, the two that commentate on the race………..

I watched a tad, some flicky left handers over roots with riders slowing, stopping, before, mid corner and after the switchy stuff. granted that there probably isn’t a deal of switchy stuff as some looked super fast.

Have you ridden there?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Only about 20 days, want to get back more though

jacksprogis
    Free Member

Wouldn’t change mine for anything

squoglybob
    Free Member

I was thinking Canada August “Maybe” but not sure now i’ve seen this.

Alps in July though as its already bought & paid for.
    That place looks absolutely fantastic though.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Maybe I am being a bit naive / underestimating people’s radness. But for UK riding (including peaks/lakes/Wales) 150mm seems like the perfect useable amount.

Wouldn’t most people be faster on a Bronson than a Nomad?

My perfect SC would be a Brolo ( Solo with a 140mm fork)

squoglybob
    Free Member

I’d rather have 160mm on my only bike than 140mm, Ideally i’d love a NOMAD & BRONSON.

Some people venture further afield than Peaks/Lakes/Wales, if i had to have a bike to take the Alps then i’d might as well buy Chalet there as well so i dont have to pay when i’m out there but as i cant afford a second bike i doubt i’d have a house to keep it in out there.

If i rode UK stuff only i probably have a Heckler.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Absolutely. If you are hitting the Alps/Whislter/BC or and big mountain stuff a Nomad is probably the right bike.

The Heckler is a classic UK bike.

I loved the original Tonka yellow TBLTC too.

squoglybob
    Free Member

Exactly, single pivot bike with a decent pair of forks and adorned with HOPE jewelery 😆

nickc

Most of the negative comments about the Bronson i could find when I did a search were mostly people saying “I’ve heard/ read that it gets bad reviews online” couldnt actually find any bad reviews though!! it’s like one of those self perpetuating myths!

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Nomad – How good?’ is closed to new replies.