Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Santa Barbara (not xmas related)
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Thinking of Honeymooning on the Cal coast, never done California before, . . .

I like the look, positioning of Santa Barbara anyone been or got any other recommendations
    for a near the beach, not too far from LA/San Fran stay?

Anna-B
    Free Member

I stayed in SB for several days a few years ago, and really liked it. I found it a very relaxing place to be, certainly after the polluted freeway jumble that is LA. San Fransisco is a great city and not actually that close to LA. There are some beautiful parts to the coastline that I would go to if I was going back – kind of mini tour – think SB would be a good base if that’s what you need.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Oh yeah, good idea! Santa Barbara, Route 1, Up to Venice beach, Redono, Hermosa, Santa Monica. Hearst Castle! Disney, must do Disney. Also there is a Cape Cod style village along there somewhere. Drive to Vegas if you have time. Great choice

Sven

I lived there for the best part of three years, only returned to the UK last year.

> I like the look, positioning of Santa Barbara anyone been or
    Looks-wise, it’s very nice for American Standards, and it’s nicely positioned with the channel islands not too far away (the least-visited national park in the US, can only get there by ferry). The Santa Ynez Valley is famous for its wine and only 30min away. There is nothing that one has to have seen in Santa Barbara, but nevertheless – or even because of that – it’s a nice place to be, VERY relaxing. Be aware of the prices, Montecito, a part of SB where you are likely to bump into some Holywood ‘stars’, is the most expensive part of the US in terms of property prices, and hotels are not known to be cheap in SB either. Anyway, I would recommend going!
    Sven

JIf
    Free Member

I stayed there a few years ago after driving down from San Francisco, as everyone’s said worth a visit and very relaxing and we wished we’d stayed there for a bit longer.

A good base for driving up the Big Sur Highway which is a must do if you’re in that area.

Rivett
    Free Member

It is very nice. Some good riding to be had from town.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Thanks all . . . , anyone else?

iDave
    Free Member

Laguna Beach is also worth considering, or La Jolla, but it’s way down San Diego way. You should do Santa Cruz when you’re on the way to San Francisco

Pigface
    Free Member

Think about Monterey, Big Sur and Carmel are just round the corner. Closer to San Fran which is a better bet than L.A. as a holiday destination. L.A. is so huge and there is no real center. You could just stay in Santa Monica and do Hollywood etc but San Fran has way more going on.

ourmaninthenorth

LA – grim.

SB – v relaxing. We only over-nighted there a few years back, and I had the most wonderful and memorable breakfast in the Sunday sun on Main Street. Pancakes with fruit and a choice of syrups. Yum..!

Carmel – very nice, but rightly so – it’s well lined round there. Clitn Eastwood was mayor.

Monterey – just up the road from Carmel, bigger, but still good. Cannery area is good for a visit – aquarium is ace.

SF – nice for a big city, and quite different from LA. But not a quick drive away (unless you take the interstate). Mrs North’s fave city.

D28boy
    Free Member

Last year did a Virgin Holiday fly drive package:-

S Fran
    Nappa Valley
    Monterey
    Pismo Beach
    Santa Barbara
    Santa Monica

That’s about 600 miles of driving but it’s very relaxing & Route one is great. Saw some Whales @ Pismo! It is quite expensive eating out though. But would definitely recommend!

woody2000

A few years back my good lady and I drove from LA to San Fran (and beyond), stopping off wherever we felt like it along the way. It’s a great stretch of road (better the other way though, as you’re closer to the ocean). Wherever you go, you won’t be disappointed so just explore. We got the hell out of LA as soon as we could though, just an awful place IMO.

This was Santa Barbara somewhere!

Hearst Castle

Greyhound Rock, Santa Cruz

I shall be returning to the Republic of California 🙂

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

it’s all looking very good . . .

liking the choker Woody!!

woody2000

🙂

I think our rough route was:

LA/Santa Monica/Malibu

Santa Barbara

Pismo

San Luis Obispo

Hearst Castle

Big Sur

Monterey & Pebble Beach

Pescadero

San Francisco

Sonoma (wine!)

Yosemite

Ace 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Santa Barbara (not xmas related)’ is closed to new replies.