Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Availability
  • Cletus

Hi,

I have been looking for a tablet for months. Almost bought a Xoom but it seemed to clunky next to the iPad2.

Samsung 10.1 looks like it could fit the bill (apart from lack of SD card) and is scheduled (apparently) to launch on 4th August but no prices seem to have been announced and nobody is taking pre-orders (apart from Play who have it listed at £899!).

Does anyone know when pricing will be released and who will have stock?

BlobOnAStick

*pulls up chair*

apart from lack of SD card

Does the iPad have one then?

Cougar

Speaking as an Android fan, I’ve yet to see an Android tablet to beat the iPad.

Speaking as a bitter ex-Samsung Galaxy owner, Samsung make some lovely hardware but their support is non-existent.

I’ve not seen the new tablet you’re describing, but for these reasons, I’m oot.

donsimon
    Free Member

I have. 😉 Is the customer service/support still bad?

Cougar

Dunno, in truth. I bought a flagship product that was broken out of the box and quickly abandoned by Samsung. I looked at its replacement and that was bugridden too, at which point I decided that they’d crossed a line.

They might have sorted themselves out by now. I hope they have, because they make great hardware.

donsimon
    Free Member

One of the reasons for the delay of the 10″ is because of changes that have been made. It was due for launch a couple of months ago but it was decided to make it more competitive against the iPad. Worked absolutely fine.
    Customer service/support I have no idea either.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm.. Kies anyone..

Support…?

Took them 6mths to fix the simple interface.. (Yuk)

Fixed now though and working well, Galaxy a fine phone, if the Pads build is similar then I’ll buy one as well..
    Happy(er) customer than a few months ago (re Kies issue)

Cougar

Kies is for the Galaxy S, not the Galaxy. The Galaxy came with “PC Sync” or some such, shame it didn’t actually support the phone it was bundled with, mind.

You’re talking about a different phone there I think.

rs
    Free Member

Speaking as an Android fan, I’ve yet to see an Android tablet to beat the iPad.

Speaking as a bitter ex-Samsung Galaxy owner, Samsung make some lovely hardware but their support is non-existent.

This, I like android and seriously considered all the available tablets, wouldn’t trust samsung again after the fiasco with updates for the galaxy S, motorolla xooms are having the same issue with updates where US are google experience devices and rest of the world are not and are still waiting for updates. Asus and Acer seem to be doing better with pretty much worldwide roll outs of updates and sooner than the big guys, then you get to android and the market place has almost no apps for tablets and they are difficult to find. I bought an iPad 2 a few weeks ago and am very happy with it. the only sites i watch videos on are NSMB and Pinkbike and they all work on iPad so i’m happy 🙂

Cletus

Thanks all,

Comments re. Samsung support are a bit off-putting.

It concerns me that a device that is meant to launch in 3 weeks is so difficult to get pricing information for.

I am not a fan of the cult of Apple but acknowledge that they get a lot of things right from the device update and support side.

donsimon
    Free Member

I think you’ll find the problem with Samsung support is more to do with the third party software writers than Samsung itself. My understanding, for the phones, is that someone like HTC only has a couple of models and it’s easier to update than for someone like Samsung who have lots of models or something like that. This only means that updates can take a little longer to reach your Samsung handset and not that Samsung are crap. The hardware is great IMO, and I’ll be looking for both a Galaxy S2 phone and tablet (8 or 10) when I get to the UK, if I can get a good deal.

Travis

anyone got a Galaxy 10.1? They are being blocked by Apple everywhere, so they must be worth it.

SkillWill
    Free Member

I have a Motorola Xoom and I like it. They have been slow to update to 3.1 compared to, say, Asus Transformer but that’s because Asus wrote a custom upgrade. The Xoom delay was actually caused by Google, Motorola handled the information on the delay poorly though.

As a tablet I like it a lot. I agree the iPad responds very quickly to presses and does seem a bit ‘swisher’ but I’m definitely an Android person and wouldn’t swap. Some of my big beefs with Apple are being fixed soon (no need to plug an iPad into a computer running iTunes when you take it out of the box, OTA software updates etc.) but these are things Android have had for a while which is why I bought the Xoom 3-4 months ago compared to an iPad.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

SkillWill – Member
    I have a Motorola Xoom and I like it. They have been slow to update to 3.1 compared to, say, Asus Transformer but that’s because Asus wrote a custom upgrade. The Xoom delay was actually caused by Google, Motorola handled the information on the delay poorly though.

As a tablet I like it a lot. I agree the iPad responds very quickly to presses and does seem a bit ‘swisher’ but I’m definitely an Android person and wouldn’t swap. Some of my big beefs with Apple are being fixed soon (no need to plus an iPad into a computer running iTunes, software updates etc.) but these are things Android have had for a while which is why I bought the Xoom 3-4 months ago compared to an iPad.

Agreed in full. (Another Xoom user. Had a software update yesterday, as it happens)

afrothunder88

Would be expecting to buy one anytime soon:

Galaxy Tab 10.1 sales blocked in Europe by Apple

Bit of a bad move by Apple, all it says to me is “we think this tablet might actually be better than the iPad so we’re going to try and block sales of it”

Stop being a patent troll and start innovating again Apple, like you originally did.

Travis

Bit of a bad move by Apple, all it says to me is “we think this tablet might actually be better than the iPad so we’re going to try and block sales of it”

My thoughts exactly

vinnyeh

Conversely, they may be saying, ‘guys we’re doing all the work up front, investing the time and money in developing new ideas, and you’re just wheelsucking, come up with your own ideas.’

ericemel
    Free Member

Nah I think Apple are just getting pissed with other companies ripping off their designs. Apple are only applying for it to be blocked on aesthetics not software. Currently, if you you have used a Android Tab you’ll understand there isn’t much to worry about for Apple, things may change though.

Travis

vinnyeh, not much Apple in here

From the Economist

Sorry, this is the iphone, but I wouldn’t expect the ipad to differ too much

ericemel
    Free Member

Travis that nails it on the head actually. Apple pay Samsung for the parts they use physically but Samsung doesn’t pay Apple for intellectual property – hence the law suit!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Availability’ is closed to new replies.