Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Salsa Spearfish
  • rootes1

Anyone got one?

Was looking at getting a XL sized Spearfish frame to replace my Singular Swift frame (will swap as many bits as possible over)

Anyone know of a demo bike in the UK?

Regards
    Si

pedalhead
    Free Member

Got my eye on one of these myself. Red Planet (Swindon) have a 20″ frame just in, 2nd in the country apparently. Hopefully they’re sorting me out a demo ride from the UK Salsa chap soon.

lipseal
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting one too, but im hoping someone around the north west has a demo to try out?

njee20
    Free Member

Gee’s your man for Salsa, he owns roughly half of the UK supply! Think a Spearifsh is on his shopping list, sure he muttered about demo bikes, hopefully he’ll see this…

rootes1

Hiya,

who is Gee? a shop? a bod?

ta
    Si

ton

rootes, are you gonna be selling the swift………and if so is it a xl flavour?

njee20
    Free Member

Gee is a member on here.

rOcKeTdOg

Didn’t you sell a XL swift Ton?

MrTall
    Free Member

Not seen any Spearfishes yet but i have an XL Big Mama which has been faultless so far. Very happy with it indeed. And very happy with Salsa overall as i love my Fargo as well (XXL!).

Testrides will be pretty hard to come by in XL, i had to bite the bullet with my frame & forks and just ordered it from the States (which was sooo much cheaper – worked out i got the Maxle 29er Rebas for free compared to the UK RRP).

ton

RD, i did mate, but am now in a better situation and fancy another.
    wanna sell yours?

lipseal
    Free Member

Who did you use MrTall over in the states to sort your frame out?

keavo
    Free Member

another big mama owner (from bikeman.com), it has won me over after years on hardtails. really fancy a spearfish.

MrTall
    Free Member

I used a little shop called Mountain High Cyclery (they don’t really have a website – i was recommended them by a friend).

Chap called Larry was very helpful and i got my frame and fork for around £1200 delivered inc duty etc. RRp was £1200 for the frame in the UK. There were some very cheap Big Mamas to be had last year (like from Bikeman above) at around $500 but only in S and M if i recall. I chatted to the Salsa chap at Mayhem and he’d tried to buy up all the L and XL stock but there were none to be had.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmm a calc on Bikeman’s prices for a Fargo, using 20% VAT, 8% duty, 0.6125 £ to $ gives £457.

Not really worth it for a frame only.

keavo
    Free Member

mine (big mama) was a cheap one, size medium. spearfish frames are listed @ $999, but hard to find any in stock. i’m not ready to buy one, but the idea is in my head now.

MrTall
    Free Member

Charlie the Bikemonger is showing both the Spearfish and Fargo on his site (£950 & £450).

He is always helpful and has demos of ‘niche’ bikes so he’d be worth a call?

My Fargo was from my LBS and they did me a deal at £390 which was as cheap as importing one from the states.

rootes1

He is always helpful and has demos of ‘niche’ bikes so he’d be worth a call?

good excuse for a nice trip to swanage as well

rOcKeTdOg

ton – Member
    RD, i did mate, but am now in a better situation and fancy another.
    wanna sell yours?

nope, and anyway it’s a L

gee
    Free Member

Hello,

We should have a Spearfish at mayhem as one of our guys has bought one. Me first on having a go on it ;). I think he should have it built by then.

It is a very good buy at £999 for the frame – 5.5lbs for a medium. The Big Mama is loads heavier and suffers with dreadful chainsuck – probably best to look at the Spearfish, which by all reports online is awesome.

Come say hi at Mayhem.

GB

keavo
    Free Member

never had chainsuck on my big mama 🙂 probably just a matter of time ’til i get a spearfish though.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

ton – Member
    RD, i did mate, but am now in a better situation

Good to hear.

charliedontsurf

Good news chaps. We are having a demo day on 25th June near Swanage.
    Very likely to have a spearfish
    Also a small mountain of surly and salsa bikes
    There should be a Ti salsa 29er in there
    Will know what bikes and what sizes on Monday

Location is awesome. A pub garden overlooking a beach. Which will be handy for the pugsley demo.

charliedontsurf

Just to confirm…. Not ideal… but we will have an 18″ demo spearfish at ….

Bikemonger’s Summer SURLYstice and Demo Day

charliedontsurf

I got my hands on a spearfish at our demo day yesterday and was really impressed. Climbing was incredible, almost like a Hardtail and it just flies downhill. It was by far the most popular bike at the demo day.

We are keeping hold of salsa’s bike for a bit longer. And also stocking up on complete spearfish bikes. The asking price is looking like £2200 and £2800 or maybe a little less, two spec choices.

So on the salsa spearfish demo bike front we have an 18″ demo this week, and will have 20″ next week ish, plus a 22″ demo option upon request.

bol

So, anyone got one now? Are they as good or as good value as they sound? What’s the lateral stiffness like (says the tall, hefty, frame snapper)?

bol

Bumperty

epicyclo

There’s one being built up in Square Wheels, Strathpeffer. Going to be Steve’s bike.

tang
    Free Member

singlespeed.nl have a medium for cheapness plus the new one and the horsethief
    http://www.singlespeed.nl/catalog/index.php?currency=GBP&osCsid=9e2700e7d4d426cda138ecbf05238431

bol

They look excellent value. There isn’t a lot of info review-wise online, and I’d love to hear how it compares to a jet 9 or Anthem 29 for example before taking a punt. It looks the nuts. Horsethief looks a laugh too, but a lot more bike than I really need.

STATO
    Free Member

Ive got one, very happy with it ride wise. Stiffness is much better than the Yeti ASR i had previously, id go as far to say its as stiff as… well.. a normal bike. What i did find was i now notice the flex in the wheels a lot more, i noticed it a bit on my old Singular but that had more ‘give’. The suspension action is very good, the curve gives a nice solid feel but seems to soak up small bumps nicely, bigger stuff is handled well but i notice its not as good as the Yeti, prob due to the 20mm less travel and the sus curve ramping quite a lot near the end. The rockshox shock is a bit naff tho, hard to feel what the back end is upto, going to get a fox i think.

The one issue i do have is with the new bb standard. The SRAM press-fit bb30 is rubbish, ive nearly finished the 2nd one off in 6-months! Also, and this i my main issue, if you fit a standard 9speed tripple there isnt enough room between the chainstay and the 44t ring for the chain to clear if you get chainsuck, and unlike and on-one i dont think it can be solved with a hammer. So your stuck with running the new Sram/Shimano 10speed doubles, losing the 22t, which kinda sucks.

khani
    Free Member

The one issue i do have is with the new bb standard. The SRAM press-fit bb30 is rubbish, ive nearly finished the 2nd one off in 6-months! Also, and this i my main issue, if you fit a standard 9speed tripple there isnt enough room between the chainstay and the 44t ring for the chain to clear if you get chainsuck, and unlike and on-one i dont think it can be solved with a hammer. So your stuck with running the new Sram/Shimano 10speed doubles, losing the 22t, which kinda sucks.

Bugger! That’s that off the list then 😥 BB30 is shit….an I’m not shelling out for a 10sp double groupset an all, bollAcky twatternobskis….. 😥

STATO
    Free Member

Dont discount it just yet, thats only my experience, and it is a very good bike. If anything tho look at the horsethief, that should be really something!

martinxyz
    Free Member

Steves bike is now built up.Its a medium.Its got pressfit bb30,wheels manu adaptors and an xt triple 10spd set up on it. No problems at all with chains jamming or rings being too close to the stay.

Why are folk running a 44t on the blinkin thing anyways? ;O)

Anyone wrapped a chain around a singlespeed setup and cycled it through its travel yet to see how it erm.. cycles?! :O)

epicyclo

I had a go on it yesterday. Liked it.

Here’s Steve discovering why a fatbike is better though…

nonk
    Free Member

i used to visit steve when i was a rep, proper salt of the earth lovely bloke.

a ‘when i grow up i want to be like him ” sort of a bloke.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Im just glad the bike is getting clarted with virgin puffer snow and not salty slush from the roads! Hope he has oiled it since.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Salsa Spearfish’ is closed to new replies.