• This topic has 56 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by gee.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Salsa Beargrease carbon fattie ready for winter!!
  • gee
    Free Member

I’ve been umming and ahhing about one of these since the original aluminium Beargrease came out last year… Now I’ve bitten the bullet and gone for one.

It’s at 28lbs as it is, the tyres are going to be tubelessed once I’ve figured out exactly what’s involved and so that should drop another chunk of weight.

The sheer scale of the frame is hilarious – the downtube is the width of a crud catcher. It looks fantastic!

The standard spec is good, but I’ve tweaked with USE carbon bars and seatpost, 1×10 with a RaceFace narrow/wide ring and some bargaintastic Deore discs from Merlin. These must be the bargain of the decade – they are the same as XT (without the adjustment dial that I don’t use anyway) but only £80 the pair.

andymc06
    Free Member

Looks awesome. Enjoy!

Edit – How much btw?

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Nice not sure of the white rims match the decals but don’t know think it would look better with different colour IMO but still nice enjoy!!! 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

who parked that focus?

llama

who parked that focus?

It’s frightened

gee
    Free Member

Haha that’s my neighbour’s car.

The basic bike is £2800, I already had most of the other bits as spares. The super posh XX1 build is 27lbs with pedals, but is £4200. Mine is only 1lb heavier and most of that is in the super-light tyres, chainset and cassette on the XX1. But a £400 cassette on a winter bike??!! No thanks.

There are some pics floating around of one of these where someone fitted the blue wheels from the 2013 aluminium Beargrease, that looked pretty cool.

It also takes 29×3″ wheels as on a Krampus so it’s 2 bikes for the price of one really.

GB

c_klein87

Mega awesome! what size is it? can you race the next Brass Monkey on it please?

onandon
    Free Member

Nice bike. Pretty much what I want to build in the near future.

Would also be awesome if you lob on a set of the on one non fat, fat bike wheels 🙂

gee
    Free Member

Chris – I’m really tempted if the weather is crap. Makes going off line and overtaking backmarkers so much easier! Booooom through the undergrowth.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

It also takes 29×3″ wheels as on a Krampus so it’s 2 bikes for the price of one really.

lalalalalala i didnt read that

Northwind

That is fantastic, love it.

stevious

It looks like a racing bike but it’s a fat bike.

Not sure my mind can handle it.

rOcKeTdOg

How brittle is plastic below 0?? 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Looks great. I may be able to keep up with you now. Ish.

c_klein87

same plastic they make passenger jets from? they get pretty cold

amplebrew

That’s lovely and the downtube looks amazing 😯

That would be great set up with 29+ wheels on a pair of Dually’s or Blunt 35’s.

scotroutes

Looks great and I’d be very tempted if they were a wee bit cheaper.

Surprised at the weight though (yours is the second to come up at 28lbs). My ally 907 is a smidgeon over 30lbs and that’s 2×9.

househusband

Looks lovely, gee – much purtier than my Mukluk. In particular I’ve always thought he head tube to fork area out of proportion – fatter forks would help.

How brittle is plastic below 0?? 😉

I once asked someone who has done a few Iditarod type races on a fatbike and they were advised not to use plastic bottle cages on the bike – for that reason!

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Nice!
    Now go and park on a beach and take some pictures!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/cizderinsport/11500659293/]Untitled[/url] by ciderinsport, on Flickr

Untitled by ciderinsport, on Flickr

gee
    Free Member

Scotroutes – the weight is actual weight on digital scales – is your 30lbs on accurate scales?

The cassette is the only remaining really heavy part. Even an XT would cut off 150g or so.

GB

gee
    Free Member

Anyone tried to make the Dillinger tyres tubeless? I’ve just taped the rims but the tyres seem very, very loose – didn’t bother trying a gas canister as it was so loose. Guitar Ted’s blog seems to say it’s possible but it looks like I need a load more tape!!

singlespeedstu

I’ve not tooblessed a Dillinger but the Hu Du’s work no problem on taped up Rolling D’s.(two layers of Gorilla Tape)
    Use a tube to get it seated then break the bead on one side and remove the tube.
    Fit your valve then lay the wheel down flat with the unseated side facing down and coverd in soap suds.
    Now try inflating it.
    Works a treat for me on Hu Du’s, Nates, Buds, Knards and Larrys.

gee
    Free Member

Stu – did you have to use a compressor?

scotroutes

Yep – and my bike weights seem pretty conservative compared to many I see on here.

The cassette is the only remaining really heavy part. Even an XT would cut off 150g or so.

Could be that. I’m also running 120tpi HuDus with Specialized DH inner tubes. I suspect there’s a decent bit of weight loss there too.

Or – your scales are pessimistic 🙂

gee
    Free Member

Hmm… Must be some more weight hiding in there somewhere… The tyres are 120tpi Dillingers with what felt like very thin tubes. The scales may well be a little pessimistic – I reckon maybe alb over judging by what they think my other bikes weigh…

scotroutes

You need to borrow njee’s scales 😆

njee20
    Free Member

I’ll gladly oblige!

singlespeedstu

I use a compressor because i’m lazy but I have also done them with a track pump* just to see if it’d work.
    *Lezyne dirt drive high volume.

vorlich
    Free Member

Looks lovely. Given the rest of the spec, why Dillingers over HuDus?

gee
    Free Member

It comes standard with Dilingers. They seem to get excellent reviews online – a great all rounder tyre.

GB

bedmaker

Lovely bike. If it had a bit more tyre clearance in the back I’d have had one like a shot. The new geometry looks great. Enjoy.

vorlich
    Free Member

It comes standard with Dilingers. They seem to get excellent reviews online – a great all rounder tyre.

GB

Ah, that would explain it. Can you tell I didn’t even entertain the idea of a carbon Beargrease before purchasing my Mukluk? 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Loving the aero(foil) profile of the down tube… Go fast enough and you’ll start to take off! 😉

Seriously though, nicest looking fat bike I’ve seen so far. Should be lots of fun as it’s not stupidly heavy too!

gee
    Free Member

Yeah they don’t take more in the rear than 4″ tyres on 100mm rims. The forks take 4.8″ tyres.

I guess it’s for racing on so 4″ is probably ok?

richP

looks nice. I’m strangely tempted by a ‘lightweight’ fat bike.
    I think that Chris is right though. You should definitely race the next brass monkeys on it.
    Mind you, that would leave the real possibility of me getting dropped by a man on a fat bike…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Proper fatty but it’s far too clean for its own good… 8)

onandon
    Free Member

If you decide to keep tubes for the moment Schwalbe do a 26 free ride tube at 180 grams. I use these one my 4 inch one one tyres with no problems ( at 10 psi )

Cheap easy weight saving when the one one tubes are over 600 each and the specialized tubes are 400 ish.

takisawa2

Nice.
    Never thought I’d say that of such a behemoth.

Is that the house from Rita, Sue & Bob too opposite yours…?

vorlich
    Free Member

To the folk running lightweight tubes, have you noticed any issues with durability? And how heavy are you?

onandon
    Free Member

No issues and 12.3 stone. If what ever is tough enough to get though a fat bike tyre then it will get though any tube too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Salsa Beargrease carbon fattie ready for winter!!’ is closed to new replies.