Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Saint Rear mech advice
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Before I press the order buttom can someone please confirm I’ve done my sums right.

Looking to run a 22/36 front and 11/34 back giving me a total difference of 37. I’m assuming I need to go for the RD-M810 GS
    longer caged version, rather than the short cage version?

Thanks

fuzzhead
    Free Member

i run the short cage 1×9 with a 36t front and 11-34 cassette if that helps

GSuperstar
    Free Member

I run a 2×9 with 36t and 11-34 and run a Short GS.

tpbiker
    Free Member

gsuperstar…

is yours a 22/36 combo upfront? Assume there were no issues setting it up?

I’m ideally looking for a shortcage, so if I can get away with it then great.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Short cage details =

maximal pinion size: 28/34 teeth
    · total capacity*²: 17/23 teeth

Whatever this means!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Buy the GS, the SS is for single ring use.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Just so we’re clear, in Shimano’s terminology there’s no long cage (SGS) Saint, just a short (S) and a medium (GS).

I run the medium (GS) with 22/36 double up front and an 11/32 rear, and it works very well. I believe Shimano recommend the short (S) for single chainring setups only.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I have run my short cage with a 24/36 up front combined with 11-32 out back. I didn’t die 😉

perthmtb
    Free Member

PS: The new 2013 Saint is 1×10 only, ie. single chainring and short(S) RD only, so pick up a 2×9 speed GS while you still can…

perthmtb
    Free Member

I have run my short cage with a 24/36 up front combined with 11-32 out back. I didn’t die

Now you’ve got me wondering, so I looked up the Shimano tech docs for the specs. They say the short(S) model can handle a max tooth difference of 23T, while the medium(GS) can handle 37T.

Fuzzhead, your 24/36 x 11/32 comes out as 33T difference. The OPs 22/36 x 11/34 comes out as 37T difference. According to Shimano both are clearly a case for the medium(GS) cage, and while I’m not surprised you didn’t die, I am surprised your RD didn’t – or are Shimano’s guidelines way off the mark in this case?!?

fuzzhead
    Free Member

way off IME, I guess Shimano have built in enough fat to avoid warranty claims. Used my 36t x 11-34 combo this morning, no deaths were incurred 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Saint Rear mech advice’ is closed to new replies.