Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • safe length to cut steerer to fit large frames?
  • guitarhero
    Free Member

About to fit new fork to my blur 4X, but might want to swap to a different (as yet undecided) size large frame (speccy enduro maybe).
    What's a safe length to cut the steerer to ensure future fittage?
    The 4X headtube is quite small for a large.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

205mm

crazyhorse
    Free Member

my XL enduro needs a 215mm steerer and spesh actually fit a 10mm spacer from standard on my fox talas to correct the geometry so 225mm would be a safe length particularly if you are only going to use a large enduro frame. I hope that helps.

slowrider
    Free Member

yeah, about 200mm i reckon. i cut mine on my 4x down to that and it didnt look too stupid!

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

My medium trance x requires a 15mm with 15mm of spacers

juan
    Free Member

how long it is?
    If it's under 250 mm don't bother cutting it, just put some spacers. You'll be amazed how easy it get to sale the fork afterwards it will work just as well too. It will only bother/offend the fashion brigade on here.

toys19
    Free Member

I always leave loads of length and just fill it with spacers, some peeps think this is dangerous, but a recent excursion over the bars leaving me with a broken wrist didn't feature any injuries from long steerer sticky up bits. Looks a bit odd, but if your too busy riding it rather than fantasising about which bits will be inserted into you then I shouldn't think there'll be a problem.

It will only bother/offend the fashion brigade on here.

Seems like a good idea.

juan
    Free Member

LOL @ toys.

juan
    Free Member

LOL @ toys.

IA

240mm steerer needed on my XL trance, which has a headtube visible from space.

scaredypants

+1 for leaving it too long initially – I have 2 forks like that currently, both have a tennis ball shoved onto the top of steerer to make it less scary

IA

I hope you have comedy eyes/nose/mouth drawn on. Ideally with googley eyes.

scaredypants

😯 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘safe length to cut steerer to fit large frames?’ is closed to new replies.