Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Saddle rails, which are stronger?
  • matthew_h
    Free Member

Does anyone know whether Cromo or ti rails are stronger? I know that cromo are cheaper and heavier but that doesn't always mean that they will be stronger and hence less likely to bend.

GW
    Free Member

cromo by far

mboy
    Free Member

stronger or stiffer?

DO NOT confuse the two!

Northwind

Depends too much on the particular saddle. The cromo rails on my carrera's cheapo saddle were much weaker than the ti rails on my Knife.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Ok, least likely to bend so probably stiffer then.

Anyway, I've bent the rails on my Spoon and now my Knife too. Both of which had ti rails. Just wondered whether the cromo railed versions would be less likely to bend.

creaser
    Free Member

buy sdg i beam, end of problems

matthew_h
    Free Member

The i-beam seatposts are crap though and the heads come off them.

Nah, no thanks.

GW
    Free Member

not confused at all.

I've prob broken 20odd saddles by either bending rails or snapping them. Ti rails snap, cromo don't, when a Ti saddle rail snaps it gives no warning! cromo will still bend, spoon cromo rails are reasonably strong considering their weight. if you keep bending them and it's pissing you off having to replace them you could always try and find a 9mm cromo railed BMX saddle, you won't bend them, they're too heavy for an MTB tho IMO/

GW
    Free Member

I-beam? don't make me laugh!!

broke 2 of them in half

matthew_h
    Free Member

Think I'll give a cromo Spoon a go next then.

br
    Free Member

I've been running I-Beams for a few years now, no problems at all.

Maybe you break saddles 'cos you're fat, or don't lift your weight off it at the right time?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

are you running an inline post with the saddle right back on the rails? maybe get a layback post so the clamp is on the middle of the rails?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Saddle rails, which are stronger?’ is closed to new replies.