Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Sacking the Window cleaner – ettiquette.
  • oliverd1981
    Free Member

So after 5 years of living in the house (it’s about7 years old) we finally had a window cleaner turn up and offer their services

(I once clocked another traditional cleaning “crew” doing a few of the houses on the development but they didn’t have the entrepreneurial skills to knock and ask if I wanted to join their elite customer base).

Having not enjoyed the annual “hanging out of the windows trying to clean them” experience. I decided to take the new window cleaners up on their offer. I think they use telescpoic poles etc but to be honest I’ve not seen them in action.

However –

1. They come monthly – I think that’s too often
    2. Upon close inspection (y’know when the light strikes at just the right angle) the windows are still manky after 2 cleans – in fact I’d say they look worse. It looks almost as if they’ve been using salt water.
    3. They don’t take paypal – I’m seldom in at collection time and even less regularly have any change.

In addition I’m moving out soon – and I don’t want to saddle the buyers (if indeed one ever emerges) with these jokers.

Will I end up with no windows to worry about?

How do I get a traditional ladder and cloth merchant to come and add some transparancy?

simonbowns
    Free Member

It’ll never cease to amaze me what people’ll post about on here!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Tell them that you’re thinking of getting rid of your windows so therefore their services will no longer be required.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Prepare to get kneecapped to death.

unklehomered
    Free Member

go to a higher window and poor a bucket of excrement over them.

scotroutes

Tell them that, due to the bedroom tax, you are bricking up all the windows.

ski
    Free Member

They don’t take paypal

Stone them!

fubar
    Free Member

1. They come monthly – I think that’s too often

Ours insisted that fortnightly was the only option !

rattrap
    Free Member

Turn them inside out after four weeks – that way they will last twice as long between washes!

ski
    Free Member

Go on then, how much do they charge you?

logical
    Free Member

Ask them to sort out your wife signal instead.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Stone Them!

I’m a non paypal user and have sold a few little bits online in the last year or so and when you tell people you don’t have a paypal account they usually react like you’re a leper or something 😕

Would have loved to see the windowcleaners face when offered paypal 😆

avdave2

It’ll never cease to amaze me what people’ll post about on here!

It’s what keeps me coming back.

teasel
    Free Member

How do I get a traditional ladder and cloth merchant to come and add some transparancy?

If you’re near Liphook, give my brother a call. He has the contract for Ozzy’s place in the Chalfonts and if he’s good enough for Sharon…

trail_rat
    Free Member

If i get a window cleaner – once im finished diy …. Im not having inside being shown up by the outside.

Itll be the lad that runs a restored series 2a landies locally cleaning windows

Easy way toget rid of him . Moneys tight cant afford you any more mate going to do it my self

teasel
    Free Member

Im not having inside being shown up by the outside.

My bro does both if the customer requires it.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Would have loved to see the window cleaners face when offered paypal

If they took paypal then they wouldn’t have to send a collection person – I reckon they’ll have been 6 times before they I’m likely to be in the house…

It’s £6, but it seriously dreadful, having had grey skies with white flecks for the past week and a half, today was the first day I noticed that the windows oughtn’t be the same.

barkm
    Free Member

I know it’s complicated but, here’s what I would do:

Tell them to stop.

fwiw, I pay £12 for a clean every 6 weeks.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ask them to sort out your wife signal instead.

Accuse them of having been interfering with the wife signal with their telescopic rods.

piemonster

fwiw, I pay £12 for a clean every 6 weeks.

Blimey, I pay £5.50

barkm
    Free Member

holy shit I’m being ripped off! 😯

#newstwthread

konadad
    Free Member

windows not cleaned for 5 years then you expect them to look like new after 2 cleans?

what’s the etiquette for telling a customer he’s a tool

p.s. cleaners only take papal gift

bloodynora
    Free Member

Fiver a month….. must check if he’s doing the corners hmm

andrewh
    Free Member

[smug] self-cleaning glass in the conservatory. It’s excellent [/smug]

konadad
    Free Member

does it self clean bird poo?

wallop

We had a window cleaner, we used to pay him £7 a clean. Then we set up a direct debit but it started getting complicated (ie we were paying monthly for less frequent cleans). Then I found out one of the guys on our street does it for £3.50, so the first company was sacked.

Just tell him you plan to do it yourself instead.

unovolo
    Free Member

That should give them the idea.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Just tell him you plan to do it yourself instead.

I don’t think he’ll fall for that one.

andrewh
    Free Member

does it self clean bird poo?

Yes. And cat foot-prints off the roof. Clear the solid debris (twigs, leaves etc) off the roof every now again but otherwise nothing.
    Only problem we’ve had with them was when the mower (which usally fires the cuttings sideways out of the blade bit into a collecter) didn’t have the collecter on a sent a golf ball 40 yards accross the garden and through the glass of one pane (only the outer pane broke but still a PITA to remover and replace, but that goes for all windows I suppose)
    My father did the same with his mower, doing the village green and fired a stone through the windscreen of a parked delivery truck!

663sqd
    Free Member

Puff chest out and tell him straight. . In a nice but firm way. .

tymbian
    Free Member

@ Ernie lynch…

Why don’t you think he’ll ‘ fall for that one ‘?….don’t you have any arms?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes two of them, thanks for asking. How about you ?

wallop

I don’t think he’ll fall for that one.

And why does it matter!? It’s your house!

bazwadah
    Free Member

oliverd1981 – I’m a window cleaner and I would say just tell them – If they haven’t done a good job they cant have any complaints if you stop using them. I use a water-fed pole system with filtered water, if your cleaners are leaving watermarks then they may not be using purified water, or not doing the frames which means water running off will leave marks. From my experience there are some window cleaners that are professional ( i.e check all windows afterwards for marks, pay all taxes, don’t trample on flowerbeds, etc.) and then there are some that are just cleaning at the weekend for beer money and possibly not declaring everything they earn. I accept bank transfer – saves the hassle of having forged notes (given by customers) taken off me when I pay in cash at the post office 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s your house!

Well it wasn’t at the start of the thread. How did I end up owning it ? 😕

And TBH I don’t really want it, the problems with windows seem horrendous.

wallop

Well it wasn’t at the start of the thread. How did I end up owning it ?

Haha, sorry – thought you were the OP 😆

hora
    Free Member

Gardeners do every neighbours garden twice a month @ 40quid a month. We said once a month is better. Nope wont do it. **** off then mrshora said 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

mrshora told the neighbours gardeners to “**** off” ?

Were your neighbours alright about that, or did they resent the interfering ?

djglover
    Free Member

Its not about lack of etiquette is it, rather lack of bollocks?

konabunny
    Free Member

3.50 a throw? Blimey.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Sacking the Window cleaner – ettiquette.’ is closed to new replies.