Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Russell Howard….
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

Only started watching in the last two weeks, and haven't had any access to TV for the last week (nor any internet access – god that feels strange), but last night watched a show and a year review.

He is very funny. I may be late, but I am converted.

warton
    Free Member

I used to listen to him with John Richardson on BBC6. Thay had a massive falling out, I never found out what about, anyone know?

as an aside John Richardson on BBC6 is now gash

PJ266
    Free Member

I saw his shows on BBC3 last night, made me chuckle! Seems like a nice guy too.

chakaping
    Free Member

He was funnier on the radio, I think I used to listen to him after he took over from Russell Brand.

I don't know if it's me realising he looks like a Simpsons character that makes him less funny, or just that he's better doing his own material than on Mock the Week.

steve-g
    Free Member

Saw him do stand up at upthecreek a couple of years back on a sunday special, well worth the £3 entry fee courtesy of my out-of-date student card.

And when I was too drunk, thought I was funny and started shouting things he was more than a match for me and made me look a tw*t.

Agreed Mock the Week doesn't do him justice

Mister-P
    Free Member

I saw him do stand up in Nottingham in June with a my heavily pregnant GF. He was funny, I was worried she was going to laugh baby out.

simon_g

Does he have any jokes beyond "isn't my west country accent funny?". His TV show is all written by other people and still fails to raise more than a smile.

File under unfunny over-rated rubbish, along with Michael bloody McIntytre.

nicko74

I didn't realise that was why he left 6Music – the two of them used to be absolutely hilarious and the best thing on the station. Shame.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I can't agree with you on Russell simon_g but fully endorse your McIntyre comment. He really is utter dross.

GrahamS

I was too drunk, thought I was funny and started shouting things

I ****' hate it when folk do that. 😐

His TV show is all written by other people and still fails to raise more than a smile.

Well Russell is credited as a writer:
    Russell Howard ... Writer
    Dan Atkinson ... Writer
    Richard Herring ... Writer
    Karl Minns ... Writer
    Phil Kerr ... Writer (Additional Material)

Personally I think it is hilarious. I've got his stand up DVD as well (which was on telly last night) and that's also good. Hardly any jokes about his accent – just good stuff about growing up, sticking marbles up his brother's bum etc.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hmmm…I found him funny for a few shows on MTW but he's worn off very quickly. Can't quite put my finger on it but he just doesn't do it for me any more – a bit shouty and he uses the same facial expressions and voices over and over again.

That said, the BBC3 show he does is a bit of light entertainment…not too bad.

Bimbler
    Free Member

A bit much to ask Russell Howard to write all the material for his Good News shows – there have been 9 thirty minute shows. Personally I think it's a bit meh but raises the odd chuckle

tinker-belle
    Free Member

I think he's funny, but I also have him listed under the guilty crush category

lodious
    Free Member

Warton, you are right about Jon Richardson, what the **** is he doing on 6music with his sycophant moron mate, who roars with fake laughter at everything Richardson says…

…I quite like Russell Howard though 😉

Aristotle
    Free Member

Warton, you are right about Jon Richardson, what the **** is he doing on 6music with his sycophant moron mate, who roars with fake laughter at everything Richardson says…

We've seen him live at Edinburgh.

The wife thought he was hilarious, I just thought that he was a neurotic, mildly amusing and fairly feeble excuse for a bloke.

Jamie
    Free Member

warton – Member
    I used to listen to him with John Richardson on BBC6. Thay had a massive falling out, I never found out what about, anyone know?

as an aside John Richardson on BBC6 is now gash

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

You sure? I believed it was because Russell left to concentrate on TV and touring. Both of which are far more lucrative than hosting a show on BBC6.

Anyways, liked the radio show and like Jon Richardson now, but mostly when he riffs off a good guest like Tim Key.

His mate Fordy can naff off.

Oranj
    Free Member

He blinks too much

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Saw Russell HOward at CIA 2 weekends ago, he was really good!
    Most disappointing comedian I have seen is Frankie Boyle 45 min (really really brief), super rude (to be expected) but most of his jokes he'd used on Mock the Week already! very disappointing.
    However Ed Byrne in NOvember .. now he was a different story!!!

Pook

wiki wiki

From November 2006 to July 2008, Russell co-hosted The Russell Howard Show [8] on BBC 6 Music with fellow comedian Jon Richardson in a Sunday morning slot previously hosted by Russell Brand. The show has since continued to air, without Howard. He has since explained that his main reason for leaving the show was that he finds radio 'really restrictive' and 'I feed off the audience as a performer, but you can't gauge a reaction on the radio.'

warton
    Free Member

Pook, yes but when it actually happened Jon Richardson wouldn't talk about it on air, and he mentioned Russell slagged him to high heaven at quite a few stand up gigs

ourmaninthenorth

Saw Russel Howard a year pr two back in Blackburn on tour. Very funny, but if I see him do that f***ing bin emptying joke again I shall cause damage to the TV.

As with all comedians, though, as they help shape our tastse in comedy, so they necessarily find themselves left behind by their audience, whose taste advances on. That said, Peter Kay still seems to be selling out big tours (he has tickets on sale for October 2011)

DezB
    Free Member

I like him. Makes me laugh and thats good enough for me.

grievoustim
    Free Member

i don't like him very much – because in his act he does that thing where he tells a story about something that clearly did not happen to him – but presents it as fact

I call this the "something funny happened to me on the way to the theater" style

some comedians are masters at getting humour out of real events – this is great

others are able to make it clear that they are spinning a flight of fancy – this is fine too

but the ones who sit in between these two styles I find irritating – not sure why, it just grates with me

alpin
    Free Member

watched two of his shows on the digi box thing that my old man has bought.

thought his comedy was lame. not really very funny. he comes across as though he is trying too hard and relies too much on jumping around the stage in an OTT manner.

shit comedian.

chakaping
    Free Member

He has since explained that his main reason for leaving the show was that he finds radio 'really restrictive' and 'I feed off the audience as a performer, but you can't gauge a reaction on the radio.'

Right, so they didn't pay enough then.

trailmonkey

In terms of funny, he's up there with renewing your car insurance.

GrahamS

From this small survey I have concluded that the folk who don't find the same things funny that I do, generally have a terrible sense of humour. 😮

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Sense of humour is individual.

Saw Russel Howard at the Liverpool Arena last week, filled the venue, and he was funny.

As for writing all his own stuff, does any comedian? Besides, he has been touring and doing the BBC3 show at the same time.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Russell Howard….’ is closed to new replies.