Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • running
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Quick queston, decided on a whim to go for a run last night, in all 3miles ish. This was the first time in maybe 10 years. Now my calves are a little sore. Why? Curious what the cause of the pain is?

tony24
    Free Member

will probably be due to the fact that running is a high impact sport so the muscles are not used to the shocks.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Microtrauma.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You run for three miles (around 24+ minutes) after not running for 10 years and you don’t know why it hurts? :-0

mrmo
    Free Member

I am perfectly expecting it to hurt, just curious what the pain is from, if i cycle i understand the pain i have caused and i know how long it will last. Running is something i don’t do, it is a different pain so curious to know what i have done.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Tears in you muscles, tendons stretched, stuff like that

djglover
    Free Member

muscle tears / tightening. Foam roller will help lots and lots

dmjb4
    Free Member

Running is impact sport so will hurt if you build up miles too quickly. Quite easy to find yourself in a situation where good cardio fitness from the bike means you can run further than your muscles and bones can cope with at first when running.

You are lucky having good core fitness, but take it easy, build up the miles slowly. The soreness is fine, but shin splints, ITBS etc are the next steps if you rush things. It will be frustrating to back off,but better long term.

emac65
    Free Member

Started running again this week as well,did 3.5 miles Monday & my calves were both rather sore the following day.Ran again Thursday & although they were a little tight at first they soon calmed down.The following day this time they felt much better though….Stretching lots afterwards & dipping your legs in a cold bath will help a lot as well

Amos
    Free Member

I’ve heard from several reliable sources that cycling shortens the calf muscle. I started running recently and every thing hurts, Especially my Achilles tendon, just keep stretching as it’ll get worse before it gets better I’m afraid

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

No, no, no, no and erm – no. Pain = injury. Discomfort is acceptable, pain means you’re injured. Dont try and push through it or you will hurt yourself even more. When taking up running or any sport that plaecs similar demands on your body you need to build distance up slowly and listen to what your body is telling you.

PAIN IS BAD M’KAY.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘running’ is closed to new replies.