• This topic has 90 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Running…
  • RichJJ
    Free Member

Started doing a 5k run once a week in the hope that it would improve my CV fitness for the bike. Done a few of these now and each week I’ve run faster that the previous. Now down to just over 22 mins from almost 26 mins 4 runs ago. I dont do any training for this so apart from making a greater effort perhaps, I dont understand why I am now running faster week on week. Does fitness from the bike transfer to running in any way and Vice Versa ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You’re obviously just awesome. Enjoy your awesomeness and try it barefoot.

RichJJ
    Free Member

Thanks DD, that was my initial thought also. 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Of course any kind of exercise will benefit you doing other exercises to some extent. Why wouldn’t it?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

5k once a week, might as well not bother 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Being serious though, even one run a week and you’ll improve a bit each week. 22 mins for 5k is no laughing matter – means you’d probably manage a sub 45 10k easily enough with a bit of training – which is a respectable time. So, put in an extra run here and there and stick your name down for a 10k race – you might enjoy it.

I guess all the cycling probably helps with stamina but some **** exercise and training guru will be along to do the science bit soon enough.

EDIT: Or some know-all to belittle your achievement.

RichJJ
    Free Member

I know that to some extent fitness in one area will assist in another, I was more curious about muscles really. If my legs are stronger from cycling does it follow that I would run faster ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I would run faster

No, there’s no explanation for that other than sheer awesomeness 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If my legs are stronger from cycling does it follow that I would run faster ?

I would have thought that most of the work done in running is CV work rather than leg strength (although that obviously comes into it). So given that, the stronger you are on a bike, the stronger you are running too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just build up slowly. Legs take a proper pounding when running that they won’t be use to from cycling. Things like tendinitis can easily crop up when you start running if you have strong leg muscles from cycling. Can have issues caused by muscle imbalance too.

No more than 5% increase a week seems to be a general rule of thumb, though make sure you listen to any aches and pains.

When I’ve had a long time off running with injury, I find I really have to hold back when running. Fitness due to cycling would allow for a lot more but it’s a quick way to pick up another injury.

As for barefoot running, get a good book on it. You need to go very slowly if you are giving that a try. Most seem to recommend a month just doing walks around the house, then a month building up walking outside, then a month trail walking, then even more time on short runs… you get the idea.

Hope this didn’t sound all doom and gloom, but I love my running and not being able to run due to injury totally sucks. Hope you get on ok.

Oh just remembered I read an article a while back from Chris Carmichael about Lance training for the marathon and the issues of cyclists transitioning to running. Might be able to google it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What I really love about running is that you stick your trainers on and the minute you walk out the door, you’re there.

Remember, when feeling especially enthusiastic, and running from home, remember you always have to do the distance back as well 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

You have to have a good poo first though Mr D, surely? So that’s 15 mins straight away.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Rich JJ… sorry but you’re not that awesome. I hate running, avoid it like the plague… but to piss my lil bro off I ran a 22 min 5k at my second attempt. You see… I am that awesome. HTH

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If it’s raining heavily, sometimes I’ll just do it on the run.

EDIT: Some people just have a problem with self-awareness and modesty.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I just felt there was a gap in the market since that Surf guy left here.

Do you want to know about my car? My wife? My succesful business? My impovrished private school upbringing?

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve recently taken up running again and it’s pretty much essential for me to boost my bike fitness. The better I am at running, the fitter I am on a bike.

To the OP : 22 minutes for 5k is very respectable. Maybe if you can stretch to doing this distance two or three times a week and aim for 8k+ at least once a week then you’ll really notice an increase in fitness.

If it’s bragging rights, then my fastest time for 5k (actually, 5.2k) is 19 minutes and 23 seconds.

molgrips
    Free Member

I might be able to do 5k in.. just under 24m I reckon.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve just googled the WR times for 5k and 10k respectively… 😯

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Post ’em up then… I’ve got a few mins spare later…

cynic-al
    Free Member

1st 4 runs – you are just getting used to it, not fitter.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve just googled the WR times for 5k and 10k respectively…

Scary ain’t they?

Google Mo Farrah’s 2011 Prefontaine Classic run this year to smash the British and Euro records. 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

Blimey…clearly Kenenisa Bekele has had more than his fair share of Shredded Wheat.

WR for 10K: 26:17.53 Kenenisa Bekele (ETH) Brussels August 26, 2005

WR for 5K: 12:37.35 Kenenisa Bekele (ETH) Hengelo May 31, 2004

And Mo Farah’s time for 10K is an only slightly less astonishing 26:46.57

molgrips
    Free Member

Running is about adaptation in the early stages I reckon. Things stretching, things tightening up, getting used to the impact and the repetitive motion. And neurological adaptation too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh…and stretch before and after your run 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Crikey 😯 How people can run like that is an absolute mystery.

I want to do one sub 5 min mile and then forget about running.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I want to do one sub 5 min mile and then forget about running.

Not a chance.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Why do you say that Darcy?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Na, stretch when you are warmed up, about a mile or so into your run, start of gently, don’t pretend you’re Rocky. (Unless loads of people are following you through the streets).

But do somes stretches afterwards. Preferably by a busy road junction.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why do you say that Darcy?

Just because…you haven’t a chance.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Interesting… why don’t I??

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What gets me are these marathon runners – they can run the final 400 metres of a marathon quicker than most mortal people could if they just tried to keep up with them for that 400 metres.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

BTW – I have no idea what my best 5k time is but I have done 4 (quite hilly) miles in just under 30 minutes when I was fit and training for a half marathon. how does that compare?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Interesting… why don’t I??

We could go on all day, I’m just saying I know you can’t. Why, do you think you can?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

7.30 miles m_f…not bad at all.

It’s doing 13 of ’em that got me 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Because I’m not that far off it… I’ve done very little running training and as a warm up for my weights today did 800m at a pace that’d beat it. Add to that I’m carrying a bit of balast.

Most of all though… because I like a challenge 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, you keep that pace up for another 800m and you’re there. But…you won’t.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Thanks for the words of support Darcy… you’re a legend.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s doing 13 of ’em that got me

I really enjoyed it (1hr 47min in the GNR even with the traffic). Couldn’t do it now mind you, but am planning on trying to get a charity place for the London Marathon later this year and going to aim for a <4hr time (I haven’t run in about 3 years so setting myself a reasonable target).

cupra
    Free Member

Go The Southern Yeti!

phil.w
    Free Member

What gets me are these marathon runners – they can run the final 400 metres of a marathon quicker than most mortal people could if they just tried to keep up with them for that 400 metres

Mo Farah did the final 400 of his record 10k in 55 seconds.

I’ve started at a local athletics club and we often do fast sets of around 400-800m efforts. It’s a great way to get faster.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Running…’ is closed to new replies.