• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jeb.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • runners knee
  • parling
    Free Member

Goo evening, after pedaling up glentress black great fun ive got my runners knee back Iliotibial Band absolutly kills, has any one else had this and any tips to getting it feeling better and preventing it in future.

roundwheels
    Free Member

roam roller.strengthen hip flexer and glutes

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Gottle ‘o geer, gottle ‘o geer,

ahwiles
    Free Member

do you spin easy gears?

or push big gears?

have you checked your saddle height recently?

weirdnumber
    Free Member

I used a foam roller to relieve tension in my IT Band and I do tretches every day. Two of them are in this video and I do a third stretch as well which involves standing with crossed legs and bending sideways. These were recommended to me by my physio.
    I also adjusted my saddle forward as I was extending my leg slightly forward on the downstroke.
    Otherwise rest it, take pressure off it when walking up and down stairs, when standing up etc. Rest it until you can walk up and down stairs without any hint of trouble and then give it another week before heading out on your bike.

nicko74

ITB is a bugger, but it’s fixable.

Foam roller/ rolling pin – lie on it so the painful thigh is on it, and move yourself so you roll up and down it. It’s a good way of massaging the muscle and loosening the knots.

Stretches: face a bed, pull your sore leg up, knee bent. Then lean onto it, so you’re stretching the outside of that thigh.

And strengthening: stand on the sore leg, with your other leg up (ie standing on one leg). Bend the knee you’re standing on, and slowly lower and raise yourself on it.

Do those every evening, regularly, and you should start to see some improvement in a couple of weeks or so.

Dibbs
    Free Member

+1 for saddle height.

parling
    Free Member

Cheers, only ever had it from running last year before, saddle height is a bit difficult to judge as i move it up and down all the time,

Ill try these exercises and get a foam roller. guess its a couple of weeks off bike.

cynic-al
    Free Member

parling – Member
    Cheers, only ever had it from running last year before, saddle height is a bit difficult to judge as i move it up and down all the time,

Sounds top candidate for the problem?

parling
    Free Member

cynic it could have been but never got it from climbing on a bike, saddle has to come down for hills other wise it tries to violate me, then i forget how high it was up. I ride quite a lot so its a tad annoying might move my saddle forward and try that once pains gone down.

jeb

+ 1 Nicko

Here you go

This i what you want to do, it is the magic bullet!

Do the second exercise, where he has the one leg, in front of him, and he bends over towards it.
    It will stretch your big mucsles from the upper leg, it will hurt a bit, but thats a sign, you are doing it right!
    do it 2-3 x times a day, for a couple of minutes
    You can also do the exercise standing leaning over fx a kitchen table.

Cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘runners knee’ is closed to new replies.