Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Runnerists: New runner and pace.
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Dear Runnerists of STW,

Due to an increasingly rapid approach to 40 I have decided that it’s now or never in terms of achieving some degree of fitness and as such I am trying to do some running as well as doing some actual pedalling.

I’m currently doing a Couch to 5km and im finding it a pretty good scheme as I think if I tried to go out and just run I’d knacker myself out too quickly and give up. However I am finding that my pace is quite quick.

Left to my own devices I will run each run segment too fast. I’ll quite happily run off at ~5:00mins/km or less but wear myself out too quickly.

I’ve been going out with SWMBO however she runs at a pace that is too slow as I am quite tall with a longish stride.

If I concentrate on trying not to run too fast and doing four steps on each breath in and out I average 5:40-5:45mins/km. but I think that might be too fast to sustain as I up the running interval time/distance?

I’ve been trying to use a watch with pace on however even trying really hard to slow down my average pace is 6:00-6:25mins/km however that doesn’t feel as easy to maintain almost.

Any suggestions? Am I better off ruining at my ‘natural’ pace and hoping that my stamina increase as the intervals/ distances increase with the program or will I get to a point that that pace is too much to sustain for any time/distance?

Thanks in advance.

lunge

I found similar when I started running and kind of just went with it. What I found is that as the distances increased my pace dropped naturally towards the end of the run anyway. And I guess is the pace doesn’t drop the you’re well on the way to a fast 5/10k/marathon depending on how far you can hold on.

The more you do, the more pacing becomes important but to begin with, just run, you’ll do no damage if you’re following couch to 5k.

IHN

doing four steps on each breath in and out

One point on this; try to have an odd number of steps per breath cycle, like three steps breathing in, two out, or whatever works for you. Reason is, when you start to breathe out you tend to land harder on the leg you’re using at that point. If you’re on an even breath/step cycle this is always the same leg, which can exacerbate/lead to injuries. If you have an odd number of steps per cycle, this harder landing alternates between both legs, spreading the load.

Sound weird but it works.

Pieface

Stride / pace / breath naturally, just don’t over do it.

Cougar

wear myself out too quickly

In terms of what? Breath, legs, energy?

I’m “training” for a 10k at the weekend (gratuitous plug) and you’re a lot faster than I am. If I’ve gone out too fast and find myself knackered, I’ll slow the pace till I recover, or even walk for a bit. It’s surprising what a difference walking even just for five seconds makes, to me at any rate.

I’m not following any sort of plan or scheme though, just went out and did it. No doubt there’s all manner of things I could do to improve my form, I should look into it really.

surfer
    Free Member

When you say you are running each one to fast? are the subsequent ones slowing? or are you just running them faster than the plan predicts?
    You have to balance your effort and make them consistent but they also need to be taxing or you wont get the full benefit.

oikeith

I’d go for the broken breath rule, you should be able to speak to someone taking pauses for breath occasionally but holding a conversation as you run, this would be your natural/steady pace.

Yes, you could run faster and not speak but this pace is reserved for finishing line sprints or shorter runs.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Been a long time since I was any sort of runnerist, but 5.00/km isn’t that quick imo, if it feels good go with it, your stamina is likely going to increase in line with any distance increases on your plan.

leffeboy

I’d go for the broken breath rule, you should be able to speak to someone taking pauses for breath occasionally but holding a conversation as you run, this would be your natural/steady pace.

That

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

For me, running is all about pacing. I used to sprint off and really struggle for 3k distances when I first started. Then I realised a slower pace overall gave a better and more sustainable times at 5k 10k etc. My running watch as well as displaying pace, lets me set a target time and balances pacing instruction to meet it. I’ve never bothered with targeted breathing any more than I am now sat at a computer.

Pick a slower pace and increase it incrementally until it allows you to do the distance you need. It wont be easy, it shouldn’t be. Running with quicker people definitely helped me re-evaluate my perceived pain and cardio limits.

Flaperon

Just go with what feels comfortable. If you really cock it up then walk home. You’ll learn what your sustainable effort level is pretty quickly and then you just get faster and faster.

mogrim

Don’t overthink it, the pace will come naturally as you get better. Once you reach that point then it’s definitely a good idea to start mixing up your pace – intervals, slow runs, etc. But you need a bit of experience to be able to judge this correctly.

If you’re going to concentrate on anything now, concentrate on form and cadence – arms relaxed and moving more or less parallel to the body, not bending at the waist, higher cadence than perhaps feels natural at first with no overstriding, etc.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Ive a guaranteed way of slowing you down.

It’s super simple no messing about with HR monitors and the like and is effective…. you be able to keep going for ages

Breath through your nose only.

As soon as you start to open your mouth back off

Good luck

surfer
    Free Member

Don’t overthink it

Agreed, whats all this “number of breaths stuff” You will soon be able to gauge at what point you are slowing etc and starting fast (ish) is never a bad thing, as long as you are not slowing dramatically with a long way to go. Your fitness will soon improve.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Agree with the ‘don’t over think it’ opinions. Been at it for 40 + years and never give a thought to paces vs breaths, even when racing in my prime. Maybe that’s why I was never more than a good club standard xc runner……..

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

My cardio is where I struggle i.e physically getting enough air in to my lungs, I find trying to breathe in time with the steps helps me keep going and breathing. The legs while obviously not used to running aren’t the limiting factor as much as the breathing is, although when I do run too quickly I do find the legs struggling a bit but I think that’s as much down to not enough oxygen getting in.

Thanks for all the advise, it does seem to be the case that it’s easier to just run at my natural pace rather than over think it.

Cheers all.

pondo

One point on this; try to have an odd number of steps per breath cycle, like three steps breathing in, two out, or whatever works for you. Reason is, when you start to breathe out you tend to land harder on the leg you’re using at that point. If you’re on an even breath/step cycle this is always the same leg, which can exacerbate/lead to injuries. If you have an odd number of steps per cycle, this harder landing alternates between both legs, spreading the load.

Interesting! Will bear that in mind, ta. 🙂

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Yes, you could run faster and not speak but this pace is reserved for finishing line sprints or shorter runs.

Honestly I would struggle to be able to talk and run at the same time at all! I really struggle with my cardio, I find with pedalling up hill its forcing enough air in to my lungs that’s the issue. I guess that’s what being an ex smoker does for you.

Although having borrow my GF’s peak flow meter, my normal morning capacity is ~450 however post exercise its ~300-350. Surely lung capacity should increase through exercise?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You are worrying way too much about breathing just get out and run!

On a secondary note lung capacity has nothing to do with a Peak Flow meter.

A peak flow meter shows how well you get rid of air in your lungs so someone suffering an asthma attack would blow high on peak flow.

If your peak flow is dropping off during exercise could be a sign of exercise induced asthma, or just that your unfit and don’t blow as hard 🙂

Could be worth exploring asthma with your GP, but first of all stop worrying about breathing rates per step and all that rubbish and just run at a pace you can maintain

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Runnerists: New runner and pace.’ is closed to new replies.