Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • RS Revelation service issues – sticky damper rod & oil replacement
  • fbk
    Free Member

Taking my '09 Rev U-turns apart for their regular wiper check yesterday and I noticed the damper rod was really sticky moving through it's travel (and oil was leaking out the floodgate dial but that's another, well documented problem 🙂 ).
    I've stripped the leg down (surprisingly easy!), checked the O-rings and all seems fine but when re-assembled it's still really sticky to move.
    Anyone know if this is normal? Could it be the o-rings are knackered, even though they look smooth & in good nick?

Also, I've only got 7.5, 10 and 15wt oil. Will my bike spontaneously combust if I fill the damper leg with 7.5 rather than the recommended 5wt (I'm 90kg and do find the forks dive a bit anyway so it may even help???)

Any comments appreciated.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You'll be fine with the oil I reckon.

It's hard to diagnose 'sticky' damper rods without having a feel, but you might find fresh oil sorts it, and a seal change won't hurt.

fbk
    Free Member

PP – I was hoping you'd be about as the STW resident expert 🙂

I guess I'll try the seal change as that's what it feels like – a lot of stiction to get the rod moving but fine once it's going. Just a bit odd as the fork's only 12 months old and the seals "look" fine. I'm assuming I need a RS official kit or can I just use any O ring kit?

Cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To ba fair, it might just be 'the way it is' and if the fork feels fine in a bounce test or in use, it's probably nothing to worry about.

Thnaks for the compliment, but I think you might be going a bit too far… ! 😉 [head swelling]

LoCo
    Free Member

service kit:
    11.4015.250.000 05-08 Reba/06-09 Recon/06-09 Revelation/05-10 Pike Motion Control Service Kit RRP £16.99
    You could use other o rings but it's a faff sourcing them,
    As Poddy says might just be the way they are, if they ride ok and don't leak.
    Good clean up oil change and a bit of grease may sort it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘RS Revelation service issues – sticky damper rod & oil replacement’ is closed to new replies.