• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • RS Lyrik….should i be worried?
  • alpin
    Free Member

i know there are/were problems with the Lyrik when they first came out….

fork has been on my bike for around 4 weeks. it was new out the box but i’m not sure what year it is – i’m thinking 08 as opposed to 07.

i like my forks to have a fair amount of rebound but, even with it set lower i get a knocking sound, just a ‘dubmt’, when the fork extends. doesn’t happen all the time but does happen when 2-step is ‘on’ and when the lock-out is engaged.

any ideas? anyone experienced something similar to with other RS forks?

cheers

J

auricgoldfinger

Presuming it is a 2 Step Air? If it is 2007 you could be in for some problems, but typically it’ll manifest itself as a problem with the travel adjust. I had one which went back, had new internals and went wrong again and I got a new fork which I promptly sold. I now run a 36 TALAS, which is superior IMO.

alpin
    Free Member

yup, it is a 2-step. it has been said 2009 forks/innards are good/trouble free. what are RS like when it comes to replacing parts? are they quibble free, no fuss? or are they a belligerent bunch and put up a fight….?

have also considered swapping the innards for a coil but i find i quite like the 2-step function.

radoggair
    Free Member

Well, first and foremost i think there great forks, 2009 coil. I originally had 2008 coils which after 4 months developed issues. They were sent back and returned with rebound sorted( my travel went dead ). Then about 1 week before my warranty was gonna run out i sent them back again for stanchion isues. Think seals were buggered and caused wear. They, after some squibbling including 2 phone calls from me to Rockshox HQ got replaced for 09 models which so far, touch wood, have been fine. Now, a few things. I previously had fox which were great but would blow seals constantly. The only good thing was turnaround was 1 week. Rockshox though were trouble to get replaced and turnaround was 8 weeks first time and 6 weeks second time. Rockshox has to sort its service out big time. I would recommend lyrics now they’ve been finely tuned but if they go again may try fox again. Good thing about RS is being able to lower travel and fork height. Coil is plush as well

alpin
    Free Member

ok, fingers x’d i won’t have to get in touch.

i’ve seen some forks with massive damage to the stanchions. not my forks!

don’t want fox due to the service palava and marzochhis are heavy and full of problems….

why can’t any of the big three get it right? they each produce big long travel forks for downhill and they don’t seem to have the same problems?

maybe its the adjustability thing.

yes, i like my forks, a lot, but really hope they don’t go tits up on me.

ash

marzochhis are heavy and full of problems

There were a lot of issues with the ’07 and ’08 55s, but apart from that Marzocchi have excellent reliability IME

If it’s a 07 2-step you’re not going to have a happy time I’m afraid. Seen loads and loads of those fail in the alps last summer and the summer before.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

why can’t any of the big three get it right?

I think you’ll find the vast majority of riders have absolutely no problems with their forks at all, Fox or RS. It’s just that you only ever hear of bad news….

In the fairly large group of riders I know, I only know of one set of worn Foxes, a set of Lyrics that went back under warranty, as did my Rebas. And that’s dozens and dozens of pairs of forks….
    🙂

neil853
    Free Member

good point well made PeterPoddy, i have 07 lyrics and love them. developed slight, and i mean slight wear on the stantions and my local shop (Ride-On) dedcided to send them back, and they immediately warrantied them when they were 10 months old, and all within two weeks.

maybe shouldn’t of happened but at least they dealt with it promptly and efficiently

auricgoldfinger

I think the 2007 Lyrik 2 Step was a significant enough problem that SRAM saw fit to manufacture new ‘innards’ for it, which would suggest to me that, in this case, there was a known issue with the fork.

Regarding the Fox servicing, to be honest, there is no palava involved. I think that if the folk on here who have spent time moaning/posting about it spent it on doing the service they could’ve done it 3 times over!

Regarding the SRAM warranty, in my case the distributor were very good, no quibbles.

MrAgreeable

i’ve seen some forks with massive damage to the stanchions

My Pikes look like that after riding them for two or three years without servicing. So it’s not really “damage” in the sense you mean…

alpin
    Free Member

not nice though re. the stanchions.

hopefully mine don’t develop any probs but it would seem that if they do RS will honour it.

here’s to hoping.

mattster
    Free Member

The stanchion wear has happened to my Lyriks but it also happened to my Shermans. I suspect after speaking to Rob at Bad Ass Bike and Tim Flooks its solely because I very rarely service them and they have dried out. The seals need to kept lubed. Expensive mistakes at the replacement uppers for Lyriks are pushing 300 quid. Robs recommendation was to store them upside down.
    BTW I do think lyriks are awesome and have ordered a new set for my new bike.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

My Coil Lyriks have just come back from TFT. Buttery smooth! At least the bushings are the correct size now.

Ta Timmy!

hora
    Free Member

Rado- YGM

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘RS Lyrik….should i be worried?’ is closed to new replies.