Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • RS fork servicing question
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I serviced my revs a while back, I put loads of oil in the cavity where the foam ring sits (“what harm can it do?” I thought)

The fork’s kind of sticky now – I guess hat’s the harm it can do?…can anyone confirm?

mr_mills
    Free Member

I always take the foam rings out, then soak some new ones in oil before fitting them which I guess is kind of the same thing.

Doesn’t seem to have caused a problem (so far 🙂 )

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Al, nahh, it won’t be oil on the foam rings doing it. Not unless you’ve mixed it with glue…. 😉 RS use grease these days.

I’m assuming you’ve lubed up inside the air cartridge?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Uhm I think so, it’s a while ago and TBH they were mint inside anyway.

Kind of feels like something is binding, maybe it’s the foam seal getting dragged into the seal?.

Guess I’d better have a look before I go on my 2-week tour.

bigjim

You are supposed to soak them in oil and apply oil to them before fitting lowers. They’ve probably gone dry, just do another lower leg lube.

carlos
    Free Member

As bigjim puts it they’re probably a little dry. RS recommend a lower leg service something like every 25 hrs of riding and after a bill for lots of ££££ for a new csu mine get done regular.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Been ridden way less than 25hrs since that service – and I glugged the oil in there!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

From what Al is saying, it sound like they’ve been sticky since he serviced them. And it’s amazing how much abuse RS forks will take….

I’ve been having a think about this and I can’t really think of anything specific it could be. Personally, I’d pull them apart, total strip down, and give them a really good clean inside before putting them back together very carefully. Maybe you’ve nicked a seal or possibly one of the foam rings has deformed and got trapped ‘twixt stanchion and seal, but thats the best I can come up with.

bigjim

But did you put the 15ml of oil in each lower leg? It does leak out if your crush washers or seals are damaged.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

and I glugged the oil in there!

How much did you use?

15ml in each lower leg and the same again split between the upper positive and lower negative air chambers to keep the seals sweet. Have you put too much in? 😉

carlos
    Free Member

You’ve not adjusted the rebound on the bottom of the left leg some how when rebuilding them have you??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘RS fork servicing question’ is closed to new replies.