Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • RS coil Pikes – tell me about them
  • Denis99
    Free Member

The frame I'd like to fit them to is a Cotic Soul (2010), but would probably only run them at 100 – 120mm.

Not worried about the weight really, best fork I ever had was Fox Van R coil – can't seem to get on with air shocks.

I like the simplicity of a coil fork, and the reliability – less faff with air pressures and set up etc.

~~

Searched the web and can find new Pikes for ~ £300 ish, currently got 110 -140 Revelations, but can't get them set up for my liking.

The Rebas with the maxle have caught my eye, but its back to air.

Any comments welcome.

Vortexracing

Pike are great, just a bit heavy. Had both air and coil, both are very similar IMHO

GlennG
    Free Member

Got a set of coil (426) Pikes on my new Soul and they are very nice if a bit heavy, change my forks on the Soul depending on where I am riding (Lakes, etc = Pikes and local riding (south east) Fox F120's). Have owned similar forks such as 2009 Revs, Fox float 32 & Vanila 32, Marz AMSL's and the Pikes are spot on, fit and forget if the standard spring rate suits. Second set of coil Pikes I have owned as I stupidly sold a pair to a mate and realised that their replacement wasnt as good.

As you say **** all to set up and go wrong unlike some air forks, IMO a very reliable cheapish fork built to last, a classic.

chakaping
    Free Member

I've got a coil Pike and a maxle Reba.

The Reba (Team, with blackbox damping) is a better-performing fork, is waaaaay lighter and would be a much-better match for the Soul (it is for my Handjob anyway).

But it's quite a bit more pricey. Another option might be to get the base model 2010 U-turn Revelation and get it Pushed later for better performance?

Air Revelations and Rebas have always been set-up-and-forget for me anyway though.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

On one have Rev teams edit, actually they're race iirc for 300 GBP atm, can't recall if they're Uturn though

I have Pike 426s and echo the thoughts above; good, stiff and reliable if heavy. Standard spring is a bit on the light side though, you will want to change it up if you're >80kg or so

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

What don't you like about your current Revs and what year are they? Modern air forks, once properly set up, are so good I find it hard to believe that anyone except a serious downhiller would actually not be able to get on with air

takisawa2

Ran an older Soul with 454 coils for a while. Bike felt "over-forked" if you know what I mean. Very stiff fork, showed up the flex in the frame (nice???). IMO a maxle Reba would be the perfect fork for a Soul. Ran the Pike on a Pace 303 & it was ace. Perfect fork for a that type of HT. Now running it on a Ventana which is super stiff & its a perfect match. I'm no lightweight though, & the weight penalty of the Pike is worth it.

J0N
    Free Member

I'm currently looking to upgrade from a 130mm rev to a 140mm bolt through. I've been considering the Pike for a while but it is heavy. I'd love a new 150mm Rev but I'm loath to pay the ridiculous price and I've also heard of some early teething problems as with the lyrik when it first came out.

So what do the STW massive think of this selection instead of the coil pike?
    Recon solo air 20mm

Marzocchi 55R knocked down to 140mm
    Marzocchi 55 ATA

Or someone sell me a good condition Pike for £200. 😀

Denis99
    Free Member

I can understand the "over forked" comment for the Soul, and I suppose this is what is holding me back.

I really liked the Fox Van fork, but at 140mm, its simply too long. I liked the linearity of the fork, and can't seem to get that plush feel. The Revs have been serviced by Skyline Cycels and given a clean bill of health – so there's nothing wrong there.

Can't seem to find the right pressures, I use the same for the + as the -.

Reba Maxle looks to be the right fork for the Soul though, but afraid to take the gamble if I find out that I don't like them.

Then there's those DT Swiss 130mm forks on CRC – coil negative and air positive. £400 , but fixed 130mm travel – suppose I could tun them a tad soft with a little bit more sag than normal though.

120mm coil would be fine, but need to be plush (whatever that means, but I'm sure you know what I'm after).

Wish I hadn't sold my Pace RC40's now…….

chakaping
    Free Member

Can't seem to find the right pressures, I use the same for the + as the -.

Did you try a bit more – than +?

Made my old Revs much more plush but still not divey.

Vortexracing

Or someone sell me a good condition Pike for £200

what about a freshly serviced, (November) 'Pushed' set of 454 air-u turn pikes with a 200mm steerer for £250 posted?

nina
    Free Member

i have coil pike 409s for sale, just serviced £200 ono.

ddmonkey

I've got a set of 454's and I'm really impressed, feel way better and lighter than the 55 ETA's I had prevously. Very versatile fork, it didn't feel out of place on the DH runs at Aston. Have got a second pair for my hardtail… 🙂

takisawa2

Just to add, I've never found an air fork I was totally happy with either. Had some Sids tuned by TF about 8yrs ago, & they were pretty lovely afterwards though. Coil every time for me nowadays.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Reckon you should play around with your Revs a bit more:
    1) Let the air out of the -ve chamber
    2) Set 20-25% sag depending on your preference on the +ve
    3) Set -ve: anything up to 10psi more than the -ve if you want small bump sensitivity but quicker blow through on big landings, or vice versa if you want to stop blow through at the expense of small bump sensitivity

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I really liked the Fox Van fork, but at 140mm, its simply too long

Actually it might not be. I've got that exact fork on my Inbred. When I checked it out, they are only 2mm longer A to C than a 130mm Revelation. Suits my bike very well TBH.

Christowkid
    Free Member

I'm sort of wondering about Pikes too.
    Have a set of '08 coil U turn Rev's ( q.r. ) on an '08 Soul, my first modern fork/bike, and I really like them both. I'd considered Pikes before getting the Rev's but they would have bust my budget at the time and also invalidated the frame. At the time i hadn't really understood the value of the maxle, but now feel that maybe a maxle is the way to go….. but changing both frame and forks means a huge hit on the pocket!
    I do like the coil, it's sweet and has been maintenance free. Being able to dial between 100mm and 130mm suits me and the bike too….. just wish they were maxles!
    hmmmm.
    Q

Denis99
    Free Member

Still undecided, so I'll have a play with the settings and see what it does.

Thanks for the replies.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘RS coil Pikes – tell me about them’ is closed to new replies.