Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • RS Coil Lyrik problem (?)
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some Lyriks (the 170DH kind) off a guy here (no complaints with the sellar whatsoever). He has just told me that the spring is extra soft, due to him weighing 8.5st. I weigh 11.5st, so I understand that I will need to change the spring. Not a problem.

My question is: Do you reckon it would be ok to ride it tomorrow with the extra soft spring? I obviously don’t want to do any damage to them as they are in brilliant condition.

He has supplied the spare springs so I do have one to fit when I can get round to it.

Bregante

It’s a 10 minute job. If you have the correct spring, why wouldn’t you fit it now?

I can’t comment on whether extra soft would be okay for your weight or not as I haven’t weighed 8.5st (or 11.5st for that matter since I was about….. Well a very long time) 😳

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

It won’t break anything, but it’s a fairly straightforward job to swap them over.

Undo bottom nut, undo allen bolt at travel adjust knob, remove adjuster mechanism. Big spanner on the top and unscrew the spring assembly and lower spring mount. Swap lower spring mount to new spring and reverse what you’ve already done. Half an hour tops.

mikey74
    Free Member

Because (I’m at work now so I can’t check) I’m not sure if I have all the right tools, especially a large socket to undo the spring cap. Does any oil need to be changed? I can’t remember.

Rickos
    Free Member

Try and keep the forsk on their side as you do it (in a bike stand or something) so they don’t pee the oil out of the bottom nut. Simple job though. You’ll probably need a 24mm socket or spanner though, which you may not have.

Gotama
    Free Member

Edit- too slow at posting 🙄

tomaso
    Free Member

When you undo the bottom allen bolt only take it out 75% and then give it a whach with a soft faced hammer to ease the spring from its seat. Then you can just pull the spring out when you undo the top cap.

Go online and download the Rockshox manual and if you are still unsure have a quick look on youtube for a vid.

mikey74
    Free Member

If I’d know I could have done it before I’d fitted them.

The next questions is: Does anyone know what weight spring I need?

Rickos
    Free Member

I’d say one down from the one RS recommend on their website, so if they say firm go medium (medium is red).

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/service/coil_spring_chart.pdf

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I had coil lyriks. I’m 82kg so the RS chart puts me between the standard red and firm blue spring. The red one was far too soft.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks folks. For your information: They aren’t U-turns, they are the 170 DH versions.

Rickos
    Free Member

In a reverse of what stuart says, I’m about 80kg, so also on the cusp and found the red medium spring just right. FoD rooty, woodsy type riding for me if it makes any difference.

sobriety
    Free Member

Ride ’em, then you’ll have a better idea of what weight spring you actually need, at least that’s what I do.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve just changed them to the standard spring as that was what was in my old Lyriks, I think.

Anyhoo, when I opened them up I just found that the spring just slid out the top, and thenew one just slid in. No need to undo the lower bolt- is this normal?

LoCo
    Free Member

sometimes yes, cover the spring in decent grease to keep it nice and quiet, and enjoy the new forks 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘RS Coil Lyrik problem (?)’ is closed to new replies.