Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rowberrow DH flattened?
  • Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I heard a rumour today that the DH goodness tucked into Rowberrow Woods has bee flattened and signs put up to the effect that we’re all naughty boys.

Can anyone confirm this?

simonm
    Free Member

If its Forestry it sounds about right, they don’t need our help now campaigning to save them from being sacked so back to the normal F&*(*”£$ the mountain bikers pattern.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its a little different a Rowberrow. Private land, leased for timber rights to the FC.

I’ll find out later in the week when I go for a little spin.

megamonkeyboss
    Free Member

Im sorry to say that I can confirm this as its my local spot. The track called magic has been hit the worsed. The xmas trees track has all the big jumps taken out road gap ect. Many of the litle ones are untouched. But I think its a matter of time befor there hit too.

Its been a long time coming tho if im honest many of the horse people that go there have not liked us there, witch i can sort of understand, as i have seen a few times bikers going over the fire roads at speed with out making sure there clear.

Plus about 2 weeks ago now a air ambulance had to land there to help a biker on one of the DH tracks. And as its Private land i dont think the owners want any come backs.

I feel bad for the bristol lads who did alot of building there since still woods went. I guess it time to move on again. On down to Triscombe.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I rode past the start of Majik this morning and the jumps you can see from the forest road look intact and the trail bone dry. I rode the old DH line and it is unchanged (still muddy 🙂 Perhaps it’s just the gap jumps that are gone.

It was busy out with cyclists and the land rovers were out up by the grouse feeders.

wallop

I overheard someone in BAB last week pretty upset about something – I guess this was it.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Only in the UK, what a shame. Still, rebuild it and they will come!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

So given that the bits I saw and rode today are fine, does anyone know:

1. If this has actually happened, and
    2. Precisely what has been affected?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Only in the UK?

do you mean only in the UK will people build jumps on land they do not own and without the landowners permission?

flatfish
    Free Member

Dear god please forgive me…….

I agree with teej 😯

rockfield
    Free Member

Apparently the bigger jumps on majik & the road gaps got removed, but they have already been rebuilt by the local grommets. It was riding super sweet this afternoon 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I can see why the road gaps got removed. They were the main problem for the horse riders. Glad everything else is OK. The landowner is actually quite tolerant as long as it does not interfere with his grouse shooting business.

nickegg
    Free Member

Got to agree with TJ on this…God help me!

We have no right to complain when this happens to trails built on private land. That area is very popular with the equestrian lot and they are more vocal than the MTB community. The gap jumps in question are across tracks frequented by hore riders and, as i understand it, there have been near misses lately so what do people expect?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Personally I’ve seen far more bikers than horse riders in Rowberrow, not sure what TJ’s experiences are, though I suspect I wouldnt want to be party to them. Personally, like most on here, I’m prepared to break a few English property laws to have fun on my bike if I dont see any risk or inconvenience to others.

OK, so gap jumping “busy” fire roads* is maybe a tad irresponsible, but a bit of live and let live elsewhere wouldnt hurt.

* I couldnt and wouldnt do this….

Northwind

agentdagnamit – Member

Personally, like most on here, I’m prepared to break a few English property laws to have fun on my bike if I dont see any risk or inconvenience to others.

I would be too, I just wouldn’t moan about it if the landowner did something about it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“* I couldnt and wouldnt do this..”

I simply can’t do this and wish I could. It’s frustrating but understandable. If I was the owner, I’d open a tea room and apply for a grant to build sustainable trails.

megamonkeyboss
    Free Member

Clad to hear its been rebuilt. I agree, a tea room would be spot on. It may help the dif types of people that go there all get on and have a chat.

soobalias
    Free Member

Tea room? thats just the thin end of the wedge.

first you want tea, then cake, then somebody will make some flapjack before you know it there will be monster energy drinks and tangfastics, after that come the energy gels and folk start wearing lycra.

wont somebody please think of the children

jam-bo

its all part of the game.

All the best DH spots have suffered the same over the years and to be honest it keeps them fresh. Nothing like a bit of landowner destruction to spawn another batch of tracks.

the last time I remember it happening at Triscombe, another 10 full tracks popped up in the space of about 6 months in other parts of the valley.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rowberrow DH flattened?’ is closed to new replies.