Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • ROUTES UP SNOWDON
  • AbeFroemanTSKOC
    Free Member

Two things…

1) Does anyone know if it is do-able this time of year (we’re planning on next Saturday) and,

2) Can anyone recommend a good route.

Thanks.

Dan.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

There are only 2 bridleways to the top, but the one that almost everyone does is the Llanberis path. The other is the Ranger path.

Can’t say I would recommend it this time of year. Maybe end of April-May.

grahamh
    Free Member

Matt you beat me to it.

Jenga
    Free Member

Must be half term. Ah well, it’s only a week.

IanMunro
    Free Member

There are only 2 bridleways to the top

There’s 3. You’re forgetting the Rhyd-Ddu path

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

There is Crib Goch which is the semi “climber” route.

Then there is the pig track and the miner track which are both very useable. I wouldn’t go at the moment it’s been all over the news that they’ve had at least 2 or 3 people die on Snowdon recently. We went up it last April and it was still horrific, knee deep in snow, gale force winds etc. Definately NOT worth going up at the moment unless you are a seasoned climber with crampons etc, especially with the recent weather and I think you’d be a fool.

AbeFroemanTSKOC
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I’ve never been to Snowdon before so have no experience of it. I know when to take advice though so I think we ‘ll be sticking to the trail centres.

Cheers.

Dan.

leeph
    Free Member

Munqe-chick…..you went up last April so you think its not worth going up this week? I’ve been up many times in the winter, sometimes its better conditions than our so called summer.

Talking to a mate last Friday who lives in Llanberis – he planned to go up Snowdon on Saturday since I’ve not heard a horror story of bikers dying on the top I would suggest all was ok.

Webcam images you might useful.

http://www.fhc.co.uk/weather/weather.asp

joemarshall
    Free Member

There is Crib Goch which is the semi “climber” route.

Then there is the pig track and the miner track which are both very useable. I wouldn’t go at the moment it’s been all over the news that they’ve had at least 2 or 3 people die on Snowdon recently. We went up it last April and it was still horrific, knee deep in snow, gale force winds etc. Definately NOT worth going up at the moment unless you are a seasoned climber with crampons etc, especially with the recent weather and I think you’d be a fool.

Presuming this is a biker, wanting to ride Snowdon, I’d avoid any of these routes listed above, they’re a)illegal and b)would be crap rides anyway.

If you’re going up the Llanberis Track, it’s a pretty easy path, even in snow. There is one corner that you have to be careful about though, where the track goes under the railway – it does a sharp left turn, and if you miss it, it’s a cliff. I’d worry about ice around there being a bit dangerous.

Personally I think it’s best in coldish weather – coming off the top in snow was really great fun last time I did it. Although this time of year you do have to pay good attention to the weather forecasts, and also find out how far down the snow goes. If you’re planning it for later in the year, bear in mind when you make your plans that bikes are only allowed up before 1st May and after 30th September.

Joe

flyingmonkeycorps

I went up the Llanberis Pass last weekend, and there’s no WAY you’d be going up or down with a bike unless it’s thawed out a lot since then. I wouldn’t be going up at all without crampons and axes, it was actually bad enough that even though we were kitted out properly we turned back at Clogwyn Ridge – sheet ice and 40mph gusts did not make for a good combination.

Coed y Brenin on the other hand was like riding in summer, apart from a few bits of snow here and there.

samuri
    Free Member

Those webcams suggest it’s permanent night on the summit, you would be crazy to go up in that.

Sue_W
    Free Member

It’s not a good idea to go up at the moment without an ice ace and crampons (and know how to use them). there have been far more deaths and serious injuries this yeardue to people standing Llanberis in the sun, looking up, and deciding it ‘looks fine up there’. If you do go up, make sure you are of the mindset to make a sensible decision to turn back if necessary.

I was out yesterday on the Carneddi and even at only about 400m altitude the track was snow-covered and unrideable on north-facing slopes (which made for a rather long ‘bike-hike’). Where the snow has remained it is now very ‘wet’ and offers little if any traction.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

As previously mentioned DO NOT go up at present, NUMEROUS people have died over the last few weeks, you would be a fool!!!! Need I say more!

james-o
    Free Member

“There is Crib Goch which is the semi “climber” route” …and a bit risky to carry a bike up / across too! no point, you’d be hike-biking for a couple of hours at best.

to those saying don’t go – you’re only a fool to go now if you go unaware of the risks, that goes for any mountain in any conditions. much of the snow has now melted as it’s been warm there over the last 4-5 days, +3-4 on top now. we went over snowdon on foot last week and there was deep snow, almost alpine, but not inherantly dangerous with sense. the reason a few have got killed is, for example, by following the railway down unprepared for winter conditions – it was banked right out over the cloggy cliffs and a slip there would be nasty, it’s what killed those 2 brothers. if you wanted to ride up to the pyg / rangers junction it should be ok with good visibility, as long as you can stay below the deeper snow that thins right out way before you get down to halfway house. just check the snowline.

you need to be honest with yourself about your ability to judge the conditions and manage risk, that’s all.

higgo
    Free Member

As previously mentioned DO NOT go up at present, NUMEROUS people have died over the last few weeks, you would be a fool!!!! Need I say more!

In fact, never leave the house ever. And don’t go to the front door – you just don’t know who could be hiding behind Grandma.

leeph
    Free Member

Providing you can read a map, have some degree of common sense and right gear – you’ll be fine. Clearly some folk on here prefer not to push themselves outside a BMX track in a forest or work for H&S 😉

You might even be lucky to have a day like this……taken in January’06.

http://leeph.pinkbike.com/album/Snowdon/

james
    Free Member

“I’ve never been to Snowdon before so have no experience of it. I know when to take advice though so I think we ‘ll be sticking to the trail centres”

Why?
    Whats wrong with everything else?

Get the Bikefax book on snowdonia and have a go at one or two out of there
    (though they’ve given route instructions on the signposted marin and coed y brenin trails – which just seems like an easy way to bulk up the book)

The one heading NE out of capel curig is a favourite of mine: Though the grassy bits may be a bit wet at the moment

Theres one in there heading out of Llanberis up ‘telegraph valley’ over a pass above the bottom of the ranger path which was quite good too when I tried it (last march):

I’m not saying don’t ride the trail centres, some of them are really good, penmachno springs to mind. Just don’t dismiss everything else because its not a trail centre or snowdon

zokes
    Free Member

Re: Telegraph Valley – You’re doing it the wrong way round! Down TGV to Llanber is the way 🙂

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Leave your bike at home if I were you. People think Snowdon’s easy because of the tourist path/railway. It’s not, not when covered in snow. Tends to kill people who take it for granted. I believe it’s name in Welsh actually translates as “tomb”, or something similar.

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

Are we talking Snowdon or everest here?

james
    Free Member

“Re: Telegraph Valley – You’re doing it the wrong way round! Down TGV to Llanber is the way “

After riding it that way, thats what I thought, but thats just what the bikefax book said to do.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Did Snowdon on 4th Jan. Plenty of Ice on the way down. Was Geee-reat.

Do it! Do it!

andywhit
    Free Member

lol @ the thought of someone taking a bike to Crib Goch.

This was the 31st Jan. We got to about half way up the really steep bit between halfway house and the second railway tunnel, and took the common sense decision to turn back, as riding in snow is ok, but riding down bits that steep on ice is a bit of a no brainer.

This made it all worthwhile 🙂

genesis
    Free Member

4 deaths in the last fortnight and an appeal from the authorities for ‘common sense’ to be used by those venturing up the higher peaks – work it out for yourself. Being a member of one of the MRT support groups in the area its been a tough winter for the guys, one of the busiest of recent years.

Why not go over during the summer, summit really early to avoid the cycle curfew then hit Llanberis for some shandies by the lake in the sun.

higgo
    Free Member

genesis – Member
    …an appeal from the authorities for ‘common sense’ to be used by those venturing up the higher peaks…

I’d say common sense was an absolute requirement. Understanding the risks and making rational decisions based on the risks and your capabilities. That’s not the same as saying nobody should venture up there or (as someone else did) that anyone who did was a ‘fool’

genesis – Member

Why not go over during the summer?Why not indeed – it’s good in the summer. But why not go in the winter too? It’s different.

p.s. this site is useful (but not working at the moment): http://www.llansadwrn-wx.co.uk/ice/snow.html

genesis
    Free Member

Indeed Higs.

The FDHR crew rode in the winter the vid is (was) on their site.

How about a summer solstace Snowdonia national park multi peak bonanza, like an mtb version of the Grand Slam where you do all the 3000fters in one day?

flyingmonkeycorps

Sillyoldhector – Member

Are we talking Snowdon or everest here?

It’s that attitude that gets people killed! 800m up on ice you can quite easily slip and die.

Snowdon just over a week ago, not far past halfway:

I’m not saying don’t do it, if it’s thawed a lot it might be rideable, but I’d get in touch with the Rangers before you set off.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Crib Goch in March 2005

Anyone seriously thinking of riding that is looking for 1st prize in this years Darwin Award.

I regard myself as a fairly serious walker, and have been up many hills when i shouldn’t have. Never put myself in more danger than i can’t get myself out of. If you feel happy to ride Snowdon this time of year, then so be it. You can only ride the llanberis and rangers path. ALL the other routes are climbs and unrideable. I ain’t your mum, but whatever you do, don’t take risks you can’t cope with. Play safe out there

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Actually it was February 2005

Pix of the valley. It was lovely and warm. T-shirts and shorts

Then the Mountain, was a waist deep in snow and so cold i got blistered cheeks from the cold wind. This was halfway up the PYG track. Couldn’t take pix aft this as it was too cold

AbeFroemanTSKOC
    Free Member

… just a quick update for anyone thats interested.

What a weekend !!!

Wednesday pm – CYB MBR route.
    Thursday – CYB The Beast route.
    Friday – Snowdon (don’t know what the fuss is about – middle ringed it)
    Saturday – The Pont Scethin route from Bikefax (awsome route – one for the climbers amongst you)
    Sunday – Penmachno (I missed out on this one as I had to get home but my friends rode it really rated it).

I think we got in a fairly good mix of trail centres and natural routes. We were very lucky with the weather, no rain at all and mild all weekend.

The snow line on Snowdon was just after the second bridge after the really steep bit, it was carrying from there until just before the summit where it became rideable again. The descent was unreal – still smiling thinking about it now. It was just over 2 hours up and about 30 mins down.

😀 😀 😀

zokes
    Free Member

Glad you enjoyed it! I’ve ignored CyB since they ‘improved’ it a couple of years back, but that Pont Scethin route is excellent, especially if you get the views.

AbeFroemanTSKOC
    Free Member

It’s just over a year since I last rode CyB and I agree that they have definitely taken the edge off some of the sections. I can’t remember the exact name but it is one of those Adams family sections – I’m sure used to be extremely technical and rocky but is now smooth and a little sedate. Having said that I also think that some of the other sections have been improved. I guess with the amount of traffic that those trails must get it must be like painting the Forth bridge to keep them in a decent condition.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’m liking that the person at the top telling people not to go biking up Snowdon at this time of year was also telling them that if they do go up, to take one of the three impossible / pointless / dangerous to bike routes up!

Sounds like it was good weather for it. A lovely ride in the snow isn’t it.

Joe

snaps
    Free Member

Is that Pont Scethin route this one?
    http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/pont%20scethin.html

zokes
    Free Member

Is that Pont Scethin route this one?
    http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/pont%20scethin.html

Yup….

AbeFroemanTSKOC
    Free Member

There are two main climbs and they are fantastic. The switchbacks on the second look unrideable but somehow you can just get round them. The climbs are difficult but rideable – a real challenge and a real sense of achievement at the tops.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘ROUTES UP SNOWDON’ is closed to new replies.