• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by kaya.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Routes in North Yorkshire
  • Mat

I'm heading back down to Englandshire for the first time in a while to see relatives and wanted to get some riding in. I'll be based in Middlesbrough but don't mind driving far although I specifically would like to do stuff in the moors not the dales (Want to see all the places I went to when I was small)

I've ridden Dalby, was fun but having studied in Edinburgh for the past 4 years I've been spoilt for trail centre's so I'd rather see some natural stuff.

Cheers in advance!
    Mat

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

mail me. e-mail in profile.

keavo
    Free Member

when? i live in boro and ride the moors regularly. mail me if you like.

Pippalarge
    Free Member

Check out the rides section at mtbguisborough.ning.com – we're out every tuesday and thursday evening and weekends – Guisborough forest is the closest good riding to the boro and a gateway to the moors.

Chew
    Free Member

Not sure how rideable the Moors will be this time of year. Probably still snow around and sandstone base will just ruin your bike.

If you're in Middlesborough, i'd get myself over to Swaledale/Reeth. Excellent riding over there. Pop into the Dales centre and they'll point out some cracking routes.

sing1etrack

Probably still snow around and sandstone base will just ruin your bike.
    Nah, not a problem.

As Pippalarge said, mtbguisborough's as good a place to start as any.

midlifecrashes

Head up the B1257 through Gt Broughton up to Clay Bank car park. Another 150yds on out the road and you can see a gate on the left, route from there can be made out over Urra Moor and pick up on the Westerdale track which gives you all sorts of options over that corner of the moors. Plenty of choices for out and back, loops or figure 8 rides.

keavo
    Free Member

still some snow about, i was walking through it for about 1/2 mile at the top of fryupdale a few days ago. don't think conditions are any more likely to ruin your bike than at any other time really.
    personally i find the dales a bit too much wide rocky tracks but maybe thats because i don't know the best bits. i know plenty of varied riding around the moors, cleveland/hambleton hills, guisborough etc.
    stick with your idea to ride the moors mat.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Is the LWWalk a ride-able path?

keavo
    Free Member

its 43ish miles long. don't know whether its all rideable, some of it is, but there would be some carrying up and down and some boggy bits. there are other tracks close by that would be a similar but more rideable experience. further east, past glaisdale i'm not too familiar with. thats not taking into account rights of way problems.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Head up the B1257 through Gt Broughton up to Clay Bank

Thanks for this one! Love the forum for making me aware of stuff that i have never ridden locally.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Just wondered as it's a walk I still have to tick-off.
    Not very interesting I'd imagine though!
    Much of the NYMoors is pretty exposed, flat and devoid of trees on top.
    It's the fringes that tend to be interesting, for me it's the southern edge that I'm more familiar with, say Sutton Bank to Dalby-ish as I lived at Nunnington.
    The NE coast line is very rugged and wild, anything up from Filey towards Redcar-ish.

keavo
    Free Member

osmotherley to clay bank or bloworth is quite scenic up and down, the walk goes over the top of a few hills. after that its flatter, i wouldn't fancy walking it.

Pippalarge
    Free Member

I'd agree with Keavo and Ti29er – there's still a fair bit of snow about, typically it seems to have drifted into a lot of the rideable tracks. The fringes are def the place to head for at the moment.

didmatt
    Free Member

Love riding on the NY Moors, lots of different routes for whatever your into riding really. And Mainly very quiet and isolated most of the time too. Not to mention miles and miles of amazing single track!

Went out yesturday and theres still alittle of snow in places, but nothing like what it was…

smoggy
    Free Member

For a smaller ride, park up on flatts lane (Normanby) near the NHS offices and head towards Eston hills, there's a few miles of trails there, and it's a bit more accesible than the moors………….plus i reckon all the snow's gone from there!

🙂

HitchinBoro
    Free Member

The only problem with The Eston Hills (That I grew up riding BTW) is the number of teenagers on motorbikes from South Bank and Grangetown who are only too happy to relieve you of your bike using a knife.

I intend to get up very early one Sunday when I'm next up in Boro to relive old days before they're up out of their pits.

keavo
    Free Member

never had the pleasure of riding eston hills, i prefer to get further out:-)

kaya
    Free Member

Try mtbe.co.uk they have a routes section with some nice rides, here's the link http://www.mtbe.co.uk/routes-f18.html you should find some thing you like there.

Ps yes there is still some snow on the sheltered bits on top but not too much hope you enjoy your ride and if you would like some company send me a email and I will see what I can do.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Routes in North Yorkshire’ is closed to new replies.