Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Routes close to dundee
  • macmclaren
    Free Member

im after any recommended oof road routes near to dundee.

Mainly the angus glens but any ideas would be good.

Cheers

crazy-legs

If you've got a car, head out to Pitmedden Forest (not far from Perth).

rolfharris
    Free Member

If you're into downhill, yo ucould come and ride Dunkeld DH track with me tonight.

Otherwise, Loch Ordie has some nice routes around dunkeld, 30 minutes or so drive from Dundee. Tentsmuir Forest is about 15 mins drive away (or a ride) and the Sidlaws are popular.

MS
    Free Member

macmclaren – What sort of riding do you do. There are losts of trails around forfar, kirrie etc that we ride alot of. Also trails up clova, esk etc we use to.

Give me a email if you want to know more, but you shouldnt be stuck for trails!

Gilesey
    Free Member

Sidlaws are fun – have a look here.

Helps if you can drive up there, otherwise head north through Camperdown park, Birkhill, Dronley and Kirkton of Auchterhouse and if you've still got the legs straight up Auchterhouse hill.

My favourite loop is to ride along the road towards Tealing then up Craigowl hill on the landrover track to the top. Then it's singletrack/doubletrack up and down the four peaks of Craigowl, Balluderon (Syd Scroggie's hill), Auchterhouse and Kinpurney.

macmclaren
    Free Member

cheers for the replies.

Rolf harris. Cheers for the offer, DH is not my thing. Tho what are the rest of the trails like up there. looking for challenging XC stuff.

Sidlaws – done them to the death unless im missing something.

Pitmedden – i tried that a few weeks back. Again unless im missing something i wasnt that impressed. Maybe it was just me but nothing flowed. It was very stop start.

MS – u have mail.

cheers again

swiss01
    Free Member

pitmedden stop start? you're missing something

macmclaren
    Free Member

Fair one, where did i go wrong. I just followed the road in till i came to a wide open area. Parked there and followed single track off to the left. ??

steelytail
    Free Member

There's tons of stuff in the Angus Glens.
    Glen Dool to Loch Muick and back via Bachnagairn/Capel Mounth is a classic.
    Also plenty in Glen Esk like loop North from Tarfside village or continue over to Glen Tanar and return via Mount Keen.
    Some nice stuff near Backwater Reservoir too. Cat Law, Minister Path at Prosen are all good too.
    Buy a couple of maps and explore, you'll find some real gems.

macmclaren
    Free Member

cheers steely. Thats exactly what i was after,

steelytail
    Free Member

There's loads more too around the Braemar area. I don't have a list but could do with doing one as I get asked often enough.
    I will sit done later and try to list them.

send me an email if you want me to reply with my list.

macmclaren
    Free Member

cheers steely. my email is macmclare4athotmail.com

i couldnt see yours in your profile.

metalheart
    Free Member

Haven;t been in years but Sidlaws all was a fave on the xc circuit back-in-the-day.

From Tarfside you can do a loop up the Firmounth down the Fungle and back over Mount Keen… ok but I;ve only done that from the Glen Tanar side.

Also Mount Battock/Clachnaben (again only done from Deeside but should work…)

steelytail
    Free Member

macmclaren
    I tried to email you but it wouldn't work.

macmclaren
    Free Member

sorry its macmclaren4athotmail.com

moremudplease
    Free Member

pitmedde is xc heaven,we have 13 mile loop in the woods,12.5 miles of that is singletrack,the problem with pitmedden is that it is like a rabbit warren,I was taken round 7 or 8 times before I could navigate it myself,people travel for miles to ride this,easily the best in the area if you like fast techy rooty trails,even more enjoyable with a splash of water

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

What moremudplease says. I was fortunate enough to be shown round Pitmedden earlier this year and it was bone dry and absolutley brilliant. For over two hours we rode 95% singletrack. I went a few weeks later and found about half of it – definitely need to get up there again and try and find some of the trails I missed the second time.

mr_stru

The few times I've been to Pitmedden I've found enough great trails to make it worth going back. You do need to spend time there learning where the good stuff is though. I still get lost every time I go there. It does have some of my favourite bits of single track though, the sort of stuff I'd happily spend a few hours riding the same section repeatedly.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Pitmedden – superb.

I still don't know all of the trails, but the circuit that moremudplease showed me earlier this year will stand up to many repeat visits.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Routes close to dundee’ is closed to new replies.