Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rounded off Chainring bolt – Best way to remove?
  • simonb
    Free Member

Was trying to remove the big chainring last night as a tooth is broken but inadvertendly rounded of one of the bolts and its stuck! Any ideas on the best way to remove the bolt? It’s a shimano XT one. Managed to remove the other 3.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

drill i out

Stoner
    Free Member

you could hammer an appropriate sized torx bit into it.

philjunior
    Free Member

Drill, you might need to restrain the other side somehow whilst drilling (big screwdriver or the proper tool).

Will drill easily as it’s aluminium.

simonb
    Free Member

Cheers for tips, will try drilling the bolt out tonight.

Rickos
    Free Member

I did this and ended up with a little set of special drill bits that had a thread running the wrong way, so basically you drilled the appropriate sized bit into the rounded off hole, it gripped and then spun the bolt out easy as pie. I forget what their called, but any handyman shop should have them.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

drilling would no doubt work but you could also try using a screwdriver on the rear of the chainring bolt. Don’t forget that this has a slotted bit on it as per the picture below (which features a Torq bolt but it’s the first pic i found).

Put a suitable sized screwdriver in and turn it round to loosen off the bolt from the rear.

Of course, it may just spin but if its been in there a while there will be enough dirt and gunk in there to give resistance so that it loosens off.

sheppie_hill
    Free Member

I had a similar problem – cured by applying heat to the bolt and turning as it cooled.

cynic-al
    Free Member

big rings wirk fine with broken teeth.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rounded off Chainring bolt – Best way to remove?’ is closed to new replies.