Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Rotor bolts
  • ratherbeintobago

Anti-seize or not? Will threadlock stop them sticking?

Andy

andyl
    Free Member

threadlock – will stop them coming undone and help prevent seizing due to corrosion and more importantly mean you don’t have to do them up stupidly tight – so don’t be tempted to 🙂

winterfold
    Free Member

You would think threadlock was the way to go but some of the alloy torx bolts that are used are not up to it

Like alloy spoke nipples on light roady wheels the fraction of a gramme that is saved is not worth the aggravation when they round off 🙁

orangefive
    Free Member

Rounded two of mine off last week, drilled heads off and then remembered I used threadlock, couldnt shift them – going to have to go to frame builders place tommorrow for some precision drilling out. Dont think ill be using threadlock on them again…

rustler
    Free Member

Cant say I’ve ever used threadlock on rotor bolts, & cant say I’ve ever had any come loose either.

orangefive
    Free Member

It seemed a good idea at the time. 🙄

andyl
    Free Member

Winterfold – you shouldnt be using aluminium bolts on discs IMO. Save them for shifter clamps etc.

Most rotor bolts come with threadlock already on (shimano anyway). All you need is a tiny dab of the blue medium stuff (i get the prit-stick style thing from halfords for £6.99).

You then just need to nip them up and you shouldnt have any problem undoing them, especially if you use decent steel machine screws and decent tools not some 99p multi-tool with rounded allen keys.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“GREASE is the word”.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Ti bolts and grease for me, no problems.

OCB
    Free Member

Decent stainless bolts and grease for me, plus a quick check every so often.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any old bolts here, never check them, never struggle to get them out.

PaulD
    Free Member

Shimano triangular T25 bolts and the aluminium bridge-washers properly folded over a flat on the bolt is elegant and secure.
    I use copper grease on the bolts and have never had a problem.
    Years ago I tried stainless steel Allen bolts and loctite….yet another invention for the ‘Easy-Out’ kit.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what al said – use ccopper grease as you should on all parts that dont move to mak esur eyou can get them off [headcups , BB ups et] but allen key ones are much more likely to strip than torx head ones IME

andyl
    Free Member

Going on the amount of people that seem to have problems then I change my mind – use grease/anti seize. I have never had a problem with threadlock myself but I am used to working on cars so i am used to stuck stuff.

If anyone has problems with them undoing you could maybe put a dab of anti-seize on the thread but then put a bit of anti-seize near the head which will keep out moisture which I am guessing is a big cause of a lot of problems as it will get in between the disc and the hub and the disc and the bolt head. Lots of forces and vibrations going on so probably easy to get moisture in there.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Rotor bolts’ is closed to new replies.