Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Roofbar advice
  • tartanscarf

I’m looking at getting a set of roofbars to use with a bike carrier and, occasionally, a roof box for holidaying. We’ll have the car for quite some time and I’ll use the bike rack a lot so I’m happy to invest in quality if required. My question is, is there a massive difference in ease of fitting, quality and fuel consumption between a cheap £60 set and a £150 set of, e.g., Thule?

Cheers
    TS

bruneep

Buy once, buy Thule!

Spud

+1

carlosg
    Free Member

I’ll sell you a set of square bar Thule ones cheap (£25 posted) if you can wait a few week while I get round to swapping the foot pack from them onto the aero bars I picked out of someones garden last week (on a pile for the junk man , I asked first) they’ll have a 750 footpack but may need the fitting kit for your vehicle.

nickf
    Free Member

The cheaper square ones create a good deal more wind noise, especially (not sure why) when it’s raining. It can be really annoying; fine if you use the rack once a year and pootle at 60mph, rather less so if you do several thousand miles per year with them, and travel at 80mph.

I’d go with the aero bars, and alloy rather than steel

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/roof-bars-racks/index.php#aluminiumroofbars

Merak

Its worth considering the effect on your fuel economy with the roof bars/bike on. I lose around 10mpg over a long distance. Keeps the cack out of the car, but at a cost. If I could I’d get a towbar mounted rack.

LoCo
    Free Member

Thule, bought some cheaper aero ones at for one of my suppliers and bulid quality, fitting/adjustment is a bit cack, compared to the Thule ones I borrowed 😳

fbk
    Free Member

Another vote for Thule for bars and Thule or Pendle for the bike carriers. I’ve bought cheaper ones in the past and regretted it – ended up paying twice ultimately.

Cougar

+1 for Thule Aerobars. Well worth the premium.

Go to http://www.roofbox.co.uk and pay the same price for Thule as you would for cheapo ones in a shop.

I’ve had Thule and Atera cycle carriers, both work well (though the Atera proved not to be scrote-proof which is why I replaced what was left of them with the Thules).

thegreatape
    Free Member

Got the Thule aero bars here too, very pleased with them, I just leave them one the whole time. Also, had very good service from roofbox. whatever it is mentioned above.

falkirk-mark

When I got mine I just went for the cheapo square ones as I would not leave them on for an extended period of time anyway. plus when they are on you will have a roof box or bike on them anyway.

Holmesey
    Free Member

Thule bars with Halfords Advanced rack.
    Halfords bought the design to their old rack when they made their new gucci one, but actually improved the old one by adding an additional lock, so it all locks down. plus Halfords were (poss still) do a two for one offer on their own brand bike carrier.

if you need bars/feet for a Peugeot 306 or Seat Leon PM me, you can have my old ones for a pint or two.
    cheers Holmesey

kcal

Thule aero bars on my car for the last 6 or more years (not permanently!)
    Easy to take on and off, and to fit bike carriers to –

Roofbox as above – very very good (I think it’s a mate of RobS’ that runs it…)

Altera (think that’s the name) towbar carrier from RB is good; as for a roofbox we wended up with Kamei one which is bloody excellent, long and narrow enough to take at least one bike on the bars alongside..

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve got Thule bars and Mont Blanc bike carriers, but very rarely use them now. Although I live in a low crime area, I just don’t want to use them if can help it, I don’t want to advertise my bikes, so stick them in the car boot if I can.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Roofbar advice’ is closed to new replies.