Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Roof carrier for a Whyte E-120
  • fbk
    Free Member

Ok, I’ve just picked up my new E-120 to replace my E-5 (warranty replacement) and it won’t fit on my Thule 591 carrier 🙁

Just wondering if anyone who’s got one can recommend me an alternative?

Ta.

loddrik
    Free Member

Didn’t think Whyte’s had roofs…

fbk
    Free Member

🙄

smurf
    Free Member

Interesting. How does it not fit? I’ve got a mojo and that’s got a slightly funny downtube and it works just fine

smurf

fbk
    Free Member

It fitted the E-5 nicely, with the upper grip squeezing between the struts on the frame at the bottom of the downtube.

Unfortunately the E-120 is pretty cramped round the bottom 1/3 of the down tube with the shock mounts and things – no way anything will fit in there!

judderman
    Free Member

I use an altera rack, they are designed to fit specific car models. they are very well made but exspensive. http://www.roofbox.co.uk is a good place to look.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i use a thule outride 561 – basically if it’s got a back wheel and a fork it fits. it’s proper good, really solid…

fbk
    Free Member

Hmm. Unfortunately I’ve still got the Maverick forks from my old E-5 – propriotory 24mm “QR”.

Please don’t give me reasons to start upgrading again!!!

Judderman – it’s just the bike carrier I need and the altera one seems to grip the bike in a similar way to the Thule one I’ve got so same problem applies!

theflatboy
    Free Member

it comes with a bolt-through step-up attachment thingy, but not sure if it would fit those forks. seriously, though, it’s a great rack.

i took it on the channel tunnel and some young girl got out of a car with her’s and the rest of her family’s bikes all on it. looked at ours (with front wheel in separate carrier also on roof)and said to her dad, “daddy, that man’s bike’s broken”
    😆

allyst170
    Free Member

I use a VW one and it fits my Marin mount vision perfect. I believe its actually a re badged mont blanc discovery.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/photo.php?pid=281533&id=1268659574

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

fbk, rocky mounts do adaptors to convert from the standard qr racks to 20mm, and to maverick(24mm) as well…

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

allyst170 which mount vision and what size do you have? I have a large 09 and i’m looking for a rack for it as mine – including the atera mentioned above – do not fit it due to the position of the shock

allyst170
    Free Member

DoctorNick, I’ve got a medium 09 5.8. The rack I’ve got is perfect for the mount vision. Was really worried as I left my lbs with it and headed towards the car for the first. Never gave the rack any thought. Couldn’t believe how good of fit it turned out to be. The clamp shape fits the contours of the down tube perfectly. Only issue I have with the rack is if you have wide front tires you’ll have to deflate them to get them to sit in. Mount vision high rollers are fine though. I driven from York to Lake district in foul weather and at speeds a good bit above the legal limit and the bike is sound.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

thanks mate, that’s great, i’ve been after a rack for it as my thule and ateras don’t fit. Marin suggested a rack that was only available in the US and the bolt throughs are 15mm so no good for that other thule. i’ll have a look at one of those.

Anyway i’ll tell you a story about my new mount vision, when i picked it up like you it didnt fit on the carriers, but while trying to fit it on i noticed a dirty great crack in a weld by the shock mount. To be fair ATB sales were excellent- apart from one woman on the phone who shall remain nameless- but then again 2 grand bikes( or any bikes for that matter) shouldnt get to the dealer with cracked frames. I think it’s called quality control. However i love the bike.

fbk
    Free Member

Thanks for the help guys. I can’t follow the facebook link but I’ve had a look at the Mont Blanc one – Seems promising but I’m not convinced as the downtube on the e-120 seems a lot fatter.

I’ll have a look.

As for the crack – that’s a bit rubbish! At least my E-5 had the decency to survive for 18 months before cracking 🙂

allyst170
    Free Member

If anyone requires pics then forward me your email and I send them to you.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

e 120’s look like carbon fibre mount visions to me!

In fairness to atb-sales, after a very frustrating phone chat and a very annoyed e-mail to their MD they sorted things out very well.

AlSuth
    Free Member

fbk – did you ever resolve this problem?

I am picking up a new E-120 in a couple of weeks and I am having a similar dilema.

The shop I am buying it from have suggested that I DO NOT use any type of carrier that clamps to the carbon frame. That would rule out most conventional roof top carriers, regardless of whether or not they were capable of gripping the frame in the right place. I am not particularly keen on a form mount carrier. Surely it must put considerable force through the forks when the car bounces along?

An alternative might be to use my existing Avenir boot rack with a false cross bar convertor (http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=1975&f%5FFullProductVersion=1&f%5FSupersetQRY=C163&f%5FSortOrderID=1&f%5Fbct=c003154c003131c003181) – this attaches to the headtube and the seat post, so metal and metal. Hopefully when the bike is tied in the only part of the bike that would be in contact with the rack would be the non drive side crank arm.

Has anyone had any experience of using these devices, particularly in respect of a carbon frame?

fbk
    Free Member

Hi ???

In the end I’ve been using an older Thule rack that grips the frame in a similar fashion to the Mont Blanc rack mentioned (a U shaped clamp grabbing either side of the downtube from underneath). I do use an extra strap round the clamp and downtube though to hold the thing in place.

I think the “don’t use any form of carrier” line is a bit excessive. I was always stressed about the carbon fibre thing until my old E-5 failed on the aluminium main frame!

Enjoy the new bike – E-120s are fantastic 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

haha, i read the first post on this thread and was about to recommend the 561… then realised i already had, 2 months ago 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

apart from one woman on the phone who shall remain nameless

(probably Debbie, I’ve had the misfortune of speaking to her in the past) but to be honest you shouldn’t be dealing with ATB direct your Whyte dealer should do all that for you, mine does and I’ve always had excellent results 🙂

Goes out to check his E-5 for cracks.

r6ymy
    Free Member

What about the type where the bike fits on inverted, and is clamped by the saddle and the handlebars? I have a very old Thule one like that and Halfords used to do one.
    Here’s one:
    Inverted roof mount carrier

NigE5
    Free Member

Slight hijack
    Where abouts do these E5 frames fail 😕

judderman
    Free Member

speaking of cracks just had my E-120 crack around the headtube/downtube 😥 ATB have said they will warranty 😀 apparently there is an issue with the filler cracking in this area on some bikes.

fbk
    Free Member

I honestly think my E-5 failure was a rarity – the bike shop certainly seemed surprised when I took it in.

The crack ran from the weld on top of the downtube, round and under the upper shock mount. That certainly explained the constant creaking I’d been having for the last few rides! I think it must’ve been a Friday afternoon frame welding job 😉

Dibbs
    Free Member

I cracked my E-5 a couple of years ago (the weld around the bottom link mount), the replacement frame arrived in three days.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Roof carrier for a Whyte E-120’ is closed to new replies.