Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rollers! (the small round mechanical type)
  • maxtorque

I might finally, and somewhat resentfully, be coming round to the idea, that in the UK, to maintain proper fitness, some form of mechanical training device can be useful. Can people with a set of rollers tell me what the work out is like? I fancy rollers rather than a turbo as the balance skills sound usefull and more engaging etc?

There are a few cheap sets on the usual internet outlets, any experience of if the cheap ones (~£120ish) are any good, verses more expensive ones (>£200) ??

Also, a lot of the time it is unclear as to if they suit MTB’s? Persumably i just need to get a set of V smooth tyres? Again, any recommendations (will be running my race hardtail on them)

I’m sure this has all been covered before (what with the weather this year) so thanks in advance if people end up repeating themselves on here 😉

OmarLittle
    Free Member

the minoura action rollers are supposed to be good for their price, have been thinking of getting a set myself but not got round to it yet.

Sam

I’m really liking my JetBlack rollers – best value out there IMO having come from a set of the Tacx. Yes, you just need slick tyres and your mtb will be fine. Wider, thicker tyres and lower pressure will give you more resistance. It’s hard to do the full on high intensity intervals as you can on a turbo but you can still get a pretty solid workout.

maxtorque

I assume, the smaller the roller, the “higher” the effective road speed for any gear (they spin faster so higher bearing losses)?

Any idea how those Jetblacks would compare to these plasticy ones from CRC?

Elite Parabolic Rollers

Sam

The appear to have larger diameter rollers so could be a bit lower rolling resistance. From what I’ve heard you shouldn’t really expect the bumpers to do very much, and to be honest after you do a couple of ‘doorway’ sessions you’ll be fine anyhow. I suspect that in general alloy rollers should be more durable and less likely to deform.

maxtorque

yeah, i’m not fussed about the side bumps on the rollers, tbh, i was planning to be able to sidehop on and off them without getting off my bike……….. 😉

Looks like it might be worth spending a bit more and getting some ally ones for durability?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I started on those Elite ones, they were OK, felt a bit plastic but perfect for getting started.

I sold them and upgraded to the Elite ones with resistance in, again they are a little plastic but I’m able to train on them with a 42*11 max gearing on my CX bike and generate enough watts to give me a solid workout. (6w/kg)

Not sure what how effective the parabolic shape is, but as a warning signal to move to centre they are very good.

Recommended

maxtorque

I have bitten the biscuit and ordered a set of JetBlacks. I like the sound of ally rollers, and that it will make it real easy to add a DIY eddy current brake to one of them to change the resistance if/when necessary 😉

maxtorque

Roller arrived, skillz sharpened:

😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rollers! (the small round mechanical type)’ is closed to new replies.