Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • NoTubes – Sealant going 'off' into a ball
  • scoobmw
    Free Member

Has anyone else had trouble with Stans fluid going ‘off’ inside it’s container?
    I have bought a couple of 568ml packs of their sealant over the last couple of years, and both, once opened, and used a few times to add sealant then packed away again, end up with balls of latex forming.
    Seems like a complete pain/waste of money .. because if there’s a ball of latex forming it:
    1) Blocks the funnel, which is a pain in the bottom when pouring fluid into the cup/syringe
    2) Presumably means the latex is all getting stuck together and therefore is not going to be as much latex in the fluod that does go in the tyre.
    Anyone else seen this? Is it simpy that buying big bottles of this stuff is counter prodictive cos if you don’t use it it will go off of it’s own accord.

druidh
    Free Member

That.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I haven’t had that. I buy the 1 Quart (a litre near enough) bottles and I haven’t had this problem but I do seem to use it quite quickly.

Trimix
    Free Member

You could avoid the problem with a tube of course 🙂

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve not had it going off like that in the bottle, only in the tyre.
    A quart bottle lasted me for most of 2012 I think, running two bikes with Stans rims.
    It was sat in an openened bottle in the garage for most of the year.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

You can stop that by squeezing all the air out of the bottle and gaffer taping up the lid.

JoeG
    Free Member

I’ve used Stan’s sealant for many years. A bottle lasts me a year or longer as I top up tires occasionally. I never had it clump up; either in the tire or the bottle.

br
    Free Member

Not had the problem, are sealing up the bottle after opening?

Also, I just pull the tyre side off and pour in, saves messing with syringes/funnels etc.

bigjim

Never happened to me, I get the stan’s coral forming in the tyres after a few months though, which is quite common. Are you sure what you are experiencing isn’t just the nozzle hole being sealed by the sealant as you pour it out? This happens to me, especially with a new bottle when upside down.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Never happened to me, I’ve had a 1 Quart bottle sat opened (With lid on obviously) for best part of 11 months.

scoobmw
    Free Member

Druidh – haha 🙂

Re keeping the bottle sealed – yes – though never tried squeezing air out of the bottle first
    Not totally convinced the red bottle cap is that airtight for that to work but could always try
    I don’t think it’s the latex sealing the outlet hole or no-one would ever buy the stuff 🙂 the hole is way too big for that though given you have to shake it all up inverted maybe as you say bigjim, that maybe has an impact but again can’t see it otherwise it’d happen to lots of folks?
    It’s happened to me a couple of times with a bottle in the garage, up to a year old.

Anyone tried any different makes with any proven success out of interest?

scaled
    Free Member

with the Joes sealant you have to invert the bottle and keep squeezing, if you just try and pour it through it’ll clog the tube

smogmonster

I used Wheel milk from Just Riding Along for years without it ever going off.

FuzzyWuzzy

Never had Stan’s go off when in the bottle and have had some more than a year after opening.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had some and it went off, Stans hasn’t yet (about a year)

Maybe it’s just down to luck or some outside factor like garrage temperature?

njee20
    Free Member

I stopped using wheel milk because it went off insanely fast – changed tyres after a couple of weeks to find it dried out. Not so much in the bottle admittedly.

Never had a problem with Stan’s either – often have several bottles on the go, up to a year old and never had one dry out.

scoobmw
    Free Member

Maybe it’s just down to luck or some outside factor like garrage temperature?

Leaning towards this.
    🙂

Will continue with Stans methinks. Despite the general mess when you can’t seal a puncture and need a tube it’s still good IMO.

bigjim

the hole is way too big for that though given you have to shake it all up inverted maybe as you say bigjim, that maybe has an impact but again can’t see it otherwise it’d happen to lots of folks?

it has happened to me a few times, when you invert the bottle all the wee rubber bits fill the nozzle and seal it up, just tap it or shake it again until it works.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘NoTubes – Sealant going 'off' into a ball’ is closed to new replies.