Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 170 total)
  • Roll up! It's Elfin's Monday Anger Management Group Therapy Session!
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ok so there’s bin a lot of bickering and bullying and snideyness and that recently, which reveals there’s a fair bit of pent-up anger and rage in some people. We all get wound up sometimes, but some of us more than others. The phenomenon of Internet Rage isn’t something trivial; as we come to embrace such technology increasingly, so the nature of our relationships with others changes from just face to face/telephone encounters, to textual ones via the web, speshly on internet forums such as this one. I’ve had many a ding-dong with folk I’ve never met, and got a tad wound up of occasion, but is it really all that easy to just turn off and walk away? Certain recent events on here suggest not.

I try to not allow myself to get annoyed with people on the other end of a keyboard, somewhere in the Ether, but it’s not always that easy, and I do sometimes have to bite my lip, and refrain from venting my spleen on someone, as that just doesn’t really help matters. TBH I’d rather see others as potential firneds, rather than enemies.

As someone with a history of experiencing difficulty, at times, in enjoying wholly peaceful interaction with others, I’m learning to curb my enthusiasm for a good fight; whilst there is a certain cathartic satisfaction in battle, it’s also potentially very destructive and detrimental to good happy relations.

So what is it about others online, that winds you up? This isn’t meant to provoke arguments and vitriol, but a genuine attempt at seeking explanation for our actions.

For me, it’s the clash of egos that is my personal weakness; I can’t bear to appear ‘wrong’, or ultimately ‘weak’. I think this is probbly at the root of many people’s argumentativeness, but also, some are driven by a strong sense of morality or ethics, which they want others to share. The need to impose one’s will upon others is another cause of conflict. Seems that the less certain someone is about their own views/values/beliefs, the more vehement they can become in their arguments. Some simply want others to share the enlightenment they believe they have achieved for themselves, however.

What gets your goat? What makes your poo itch? What presses your anger button?

Through sharing, comes understanding….

GO!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

**** *** you *****, why do you have to write such a long post. Like I’m going to read all that, idiot.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Frankly Elfin – anyone who would even bother to think and type the self absorbed tripe above clearly takes life and themselves just a little too seriously!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

What gets your goat? What makes your poo itch? What presses your anger button?

Self-importance

Sawyer
    Free Member

The main thing annoying me at the moment is Joey Barton, and I don’t think he’s on this forum?

j_me
    Free Member

Worms and verbosity.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What gets your goat?

My goatherd.

ahwiles
    Free Member

James Delingpole.

what an irritating xxxxing xxxx.

i mostly get on very well with everyone else, i think?

Harry_the_Spider

I think the Torys are sectretly selling off our oxygen and as a result we’re all going a bit crackers.

Yesterday as a result of not being able to go out on my bike and a huge bill to fix my car I hit an inanimate object very hard three times until I damaged a knuckle. I then hit it twice more which, on reflection, was very very silly.

Torys + Oxygen starvation = Crackers. FACT.

DezB
    Free Member

I got as far as The phenomenon of Internet Rage isn’t something trivial and I thought “It is to me old chap” and stopped reading. 🙂

vinnyeh

nice, cfh. 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Threadworms are not to be joked about though.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

The main thing annoying me at the moment is Joey Barton, and I don’t think he’s on this forum?

Group buy on a hitman?

william
    Free Member

TL;DR 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ok i think some of you misunderstand; I mean what is it about the behaviour of others online, that winds you up? IE, on this forum and others. Stuff like that.

Frankly Elfin – anyone who would even bother to think and type the self absorbed tripe above clearly takes life and themselves just a little too seriously!

An interesting, if not entirely unpredictable response there from Z-11. Interesting that the poster in this case, instead of offering a personal insight or an account of their own experience, seeks to denigrate and discredit another. A very common occurrence on internet forums, it appears. Such behaviour suggests hostility towards another. I’m interested in where this hostility comes from, and how it can be avoided.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m interested in where this hostility comes from, and how it can be avoided.

I can answer the latter part for you….Just flounce off.

😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

oh, i think i’m one of the ‘winders’ rather than one of the ‘wound-up’

if i see someone saying something silly, i’ll say so, and i expect/enjoy the same treatment in return.

if a thread falls apart in a flurry of handbags, i’ll just leave it alone.

yossarian
    Free Member

I’ve sat back and watched some of the bullshit that’s gone on on here over the last couple of weeks and it’s **** pathetic to watch supposed adults behaving like children.

I cannot be bothered to offer any insight as to why people behave like this on forums, I suspect however that people have always displayed these kind of tendencies….and they have always been pathetic.

Blackhound

Nothing really winds me up, I can see threads disintegrating and leave them to the usual suspects to do there worst. If anything it makes me smile as I go to a happier place. Or ride my bike.

Harry_the_Spider

and how it can be avoided.

I would suggest punching a Vauxhall Vectra. But only twice.

I am much calmer now.

Pigface
    Free Member

Elf what colour is the sky in the world you live in?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMu1T_Tg5Fw[/video]

Elfinsafety – Member
    Ok i think some of you misunderstand; I mean what is it about the behaviour of others online, that winds you up? IE, on this forum and others.

vinnyeh

elf you’re not preparing to spam us with some anger mangement book/drug/iphone app/religion you’ve devised are you?

cynic-al
    Free Member

*LOL at Fred getting drawn into an argument on this thread*

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

supposed adults behaving like children

I think that’s what winds me up, that and people hiding behind tags. I suppose that’s one and the same though, isn’t it?

D0NK

Winter not enough people getting out riding, SAD, etc.

Get out, ride your bikes more, less time on here, problem solved 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I agree with cynic-al.

Until TJ turns up, that is…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

Ok i think some of you misunderstand; I mean what is it about the behaviour of others online, that winds you up? IE, on this forum and others. Stuff like that.
    I have to say, you! Mainly when you post pictures in a thread where its all getting a bit heated, specifically the pictures you post that have no relevance to the fight discussion going on. Please stop it, it just makes you look a bit silly.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Somebody punched my Vauxhall Vectra, makes me quite cross.

Northwind

I don’t have a Vauxhall Vectra to punch so I have to come on here and emorage at people.

But, what annoys me about this place is the people who’ll drag any argument off into their preferred topic (Thatcher/the left are killing britain/the tories are selling britain/we didn’t vote for the government/all politicians are thieves/whatever. So many threads start off well, go on for a page then suddenly the usual suspects arrive and it all goes to crap.

Also anyone who says Bliar or calls George Osbourne Gideon or posts drivel about octopi.

And also that JeJames advert

khani
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member
    I agree with cynic-al.
    Until TJ turns up, that is…
    POSTED 3 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

you should be prime minister 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

Winter not enough people getting out riding, SAD, etc.

Get out, ride your bikes more, less time on here, problem solved
    No idea what you mean

People who don’t ever seem to stop and think about what is being said or ever admit they are wrong – on that note you had much more of a point on the Islam thread than I gave you credit for and I was a bit more OTT than was called for.
    Why discuss things if you are not prepared to have your opinion changed/admit you are wrong?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I slapped the back of a BMW X5 today as he was blocking me from getting to a T junction as he wasn’t positioned correctly, I could just get my hand out of the window to slap the back of his car, totally freaked him out and he went mad, laughed my head off, like I am now at this thread.

Gary_C

I would suggest punching a Vauxhall Vectra. But only twice.

Somebody punched my Vauxhall Vectra, makes me quite cross.

I don’t have a Vauxhall Vectra to punch so I have to come on here and emorage at people.

[Clarkson Mode] I would suggest that its Vauxhal Vectra owners that want punching, may bring them to their car-buying senses [/Clarkson Mode]

😉

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Ok i think some of you misunderstand; I mean what is it about the behaviour of others online, that winds you up?

Passive-Aggressive behaviour

😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Times are tough for all of us, but by cutting public services back to the marrow underneath the bone, we expect to be able to flesh out the situation by the end of this parliament when we’ll suddenly reveal that we hated Liberal-Democrats all along, secretly.

That do?

khani
    Free Member

Perfect, I’d vote for you 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I dont really get wound up by anyone on here, its all a bit of a laugh. I’m sure Ive wound others up though and I apologise

Northwind

Oh, I meant to say, I get wound up more on here than I would on most forums because when it’s good, it’s very good. The bad side of this place wouldn’t even be noticed on Visordown, because you can’t ruin that which is already s**t. But on here, it’s disappointing.

Harry_the_Spider

I’d just like to point out that it was my own Vectra (the disloyal bastard) that got a damn good thrashing.

Back to the OP. There does seem to have been a nasty spate of the internet equivalent of children poking each other with sticks recently.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘Roll up! It's Elfin's Monday Anger Management Group Therapy Session!’ is closed to new replies.