Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rockshox Pikes differences
  • sonofapitch
    Free Member

Looking at buying some Pikes but not sure which ones are lightest and what the numbers represents.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

GW
    Free Member

454 air are lightest, alloy steerer and air sprung.
    still not v.light tho

coma2s
    Free Member

Higher the number, better they are

HermanShake
    Free Member

The lightest Pikes are Revelations 😀

Pikes have been replaced by the newer 20mm axle Revs.

I have a dual air 454 Pike, great fork but I’m not sure if the U-turn is worth the weight. I use it so rarely as it takes a lot of winding to drop height, but it does make a difference climbing with a lower front end. Similarly I tried a number of differences between the – and + air chambers but even pressure seems best for me, so solo air may be perfectly fine too.

Coils are alledgedly smoother but come with a weight penalty.

smiff
    Free Member

327 are the cheapy ones that came on some specialized pitch.. no compression control, just a blank top cap. mine do have an alloy steerer though and weigh about 2.2kg

Northwind

If lightest is your concern, are you sure you want Pikes? They’re not a lightest sort of fork. Strong, yep.

The current Revelations aren’t as strong or as stiff but I doubt that will make any difference to most Pike owners. OTOH, they’re mostly better damped. And they are a fair bit lighter.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

I will be Looking for some forks for a 456 for winter. Just thinking Pikes for a sub £150 fork.
    Wind down to 120/130 and forget.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The numbers vary and can be confusing…a 409 has a steel steerer, coil spring and internal floodgate adjust, a 426 can either be coil sprung or air sprung with external floodgate and a steel steerer tube and a 454 can either be coil or air but usually has an alloy steerer tube.

I love Pikes. They’re easy to work on, stiffer than anything this side of Lyriks and are ultra-reliable. The dampers can be upgraded from a plethora of kits too. I’ve a set of ’10 bolt through Revelations which are very light in comparison but aren’t anywhere near as stiff.

_tom_
    Free Member

I have a 454 u-turn Air and it seems light enough, don’t think I’d want much lighter for the kind of riding they’re made for.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I have Pike 351’s which have a steel steerer and compression dampening. I like them a lot. Maybe they are heavy but they feel stiff and strong which is just what I need.

jam-bo

Original teams are the bestest.

Northwind

_tom_ – Member

I have a 454 u-turn Air and it seems light enough, don’t think I’d want much lighter for the kind of riding they’re made for.

36s or Devilles not strong enough for you? 🙂

sonofapitch
    Free Member

36’s, Devilles SUB £159? I think not ..

Northwind

Never said they were 😕

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My 409 coils weighed a tonne but ..I like my 454 coils. Much lighter. The difference an alloy steerer makes over a steel one.

james
    Free Member

“Pikes have been replaced by the newer 20mm axle Revs”
    Well, the air ones were. The coil pikes carried on for a bit, until being dropped,
    I think the lowers (and steerer/crown?) carrying on to the Argyle solo air 140mm

There were a few others that would appear to use at least pike 20mm lowers, they being 2009 Revelation Dual-Air and Dual-Air U-turn (110-140mm) and a few OE Recon 140mm 20mm’s from at least Felt and Commencal hardtails

davosaurusrex

Thread hijack! I’ve got a pair of air 426 U-turns that came off my Wolf Ridge, white lowers off an Argyle, been PUSHed by TF, steel steerer, working lovely, few cosmetic marks (not to stanchions) – what are they worth?

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Pound?

davosaurusrex

Throw in a couple of jelly babies that have been in your pocket for a week or two and you have a deal my friend

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Pikes differences’ is closed to new replies.