• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Mat.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rockshox forks for Soul 27.5" – What do I want?
  • Mat

So on finding out that Cotic are releasing a soul 27.5″ I reckon I’m going to go ahead and get one (as much as I love my handjob it seems that to get up to date with all the latest fads I’m limited in terms of compatibility – 27.5, dropper posts, through axles, tubeless, 10 spd, tapered steerers…). That means I have to match up a nice fork, I want to go with RS (budget, reliability, familiarity and DIY servicing) but I’m a bit confused by all the new options since my ’08 revs.

Damping – whats worth going for aside the basic motion control cartrige? There seems to be moco and moco dna (which is then split into 4 groups…) I’d like to still have a remote lock-out but that seems hard to come by on new models. Also I’d like something with low/high speed compression damping (I think it used to just be on black box models?)

Spring – There’s no more dual air! It was a little bit of a faff to set up but I enjoy being able to tweak the fork myself – ho-hum I guess RS know better than me!

Model – My initial thoughts are a nice set of Rebas set at 120mm but it seems if I want fancier internals I need to get SIDs. Are SIDs less stiff than Rebas? I’m also tempted by going the other end of the spectrum and getting some more revs, the main issue is the travel though I guess, I imagine whatever I do I’d be running them at 120mm most of the time but it might be nice to be able to pop them up to 140. Would I be able to space them down to a 120-140mm fork? I’ve always viewed travel adjustments as an annoying faff on the trail though and something extra to break but I’m intruiged by dual position.

Thanks in advance and apologies if I’m straight back on with more questions on this build!

darrenspink
    Free Member

I managed to get myself some 120mm 2013 revs that came off a kona explosif. These (and now all RS air) are single air. I want to increase the travel so ive purchased a new air shaft to fit as you can no longer just take out or add spacers. If you want to change travel while you’re on a ride then you’ll have to stump up the cash for something like this. (Which I would like to have as well)

Rickos
    Free Member

Dual position is great, but I think that the shorter travel setting also changes the compression damping so that it remains supple for the climbs but too soft for much else. Don’t quote me, but I’m sure I read that in a test on some Revs that Singletrack did. If that’s wrong then fill your boots!

Mat

Thanks Darren, yeah I’m tempted by dual position Revs, at the same time these look rather nice!

matther01
    Free Member

I know you want compression damping but have you thought about x fusion sweeps?

34mm stanchions and it can be raised and lowered (internally not on the fly) from 100mm to 160mm and also has a 46mm trail so should slacken everything out for a bit of a ripper.

Anything over 120mm with 32mm stanchions is a bit noodly IMO…and I’m fairly light in weight.

whiskykai
    Free Member

It’ll be interesting to hear how the 650b Soul performs.

I have a 26″ mk2 Soul which runs a 120mm Reba XX fork. I know it’ll depend on the riding that you do, but if it was me I’d be looking for a 130mm fork and probably something that can easily be adjusted either side of that amount of travel so you can find the optimum setting.

I’d probably avoid the Reba / SID as being a bit too flexy lightweight. (Plus I think they only go up to 120mm) and would be tempted to look at X Fusion as well as Rockshox.

I don’t think you really need adjustable travel these days. It just adds weight and complexity to the fork. Even 160mm forked bikes can climb well now.

chiefgrooveguru

I think I’d run a 120mm non-adjustable travel fork on a 27.5 Soul (I run a 140mm on a 26 Soul) – the head angle is slightly slacker and the bigger wheel gives more trail and the wheelbase is longer, so all adds up to more stability. I’d probably go for Revelations unless there’s a good X-Fusion alternative.

Mat

Cheers guys, yeah I’d considered X-fusion, I’d been looking at velvets though rather than slants. Slants look like they could be worth a shout then and it seems to offer a good range of adjustment to play with (I don’t mind if it’s not trail adjustable). Any views on the reliability of them? I’ve managed to make a set of Revs last 6 years now with no noticable stancion wear through regular oil changes so I feel RS are a known quantity. Any idea on how durable X-fusion are? Are they easy to service at home?

Thanks!

Mat

So if I was a little less lazy I’d have found thisthis and service videos but any thoughts on how durable they are?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox forks for Soul 27.5" – What do I want?’ is closed to new replies.