Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Rockshox bushing replacement tools – anyone got them?
  • willsimmons
    Free Member

Also, older Lyriks like mine are prone to some play in the bushes and it keeps them supple, take away the play and you get too much stiction.

I think here-in lies my problem. Almost all the manufacturers now seem to be battling for the smoothest feeling fork, and as you say looser bushes is one way of helping this. I remember years ago it would take quite a few hours on a fork for them to bed in and loosen up, nowadays they're like that out of the box. I could still be wrong but I think my apparent 'wear' (increasing looseness over time) is a symptom of that. I don't think it being a 29er fork helps either, as the bushings are the same depth as they are in a 26" fork except now they've got a longer fork to deal with. I seem to remember that Boxxer bushings have considerably bigger surface area, so if I have indeed worn them perhaps RS need to come out with 29er bushings? Just a few thoughts

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sorry PP but thats how you come across? Maybe try using a bit more humble comments?

I got it anyway though, as clearly I wouldn't have a clue and I need telling that I'm wrong. I might be wrong but there are much better ways of communicating that

It's the way I am and I'm neiter sorry or about to change. I call a spade a spade. 🙂
    What I was doing, however, was trying to give someone the best advice I could, save him money and hassle and point him in the right direction. I'm fairly certain that his forks will be fine after a full proffessional service and he doesn't need to chuck £100+++ on tools and risk ending up with a fotk that has no small bump response whan he gets it wrong. I was pointing out it's not just a simple matter of replacing them

What should I have done?

Googled the tool, posted a link, and let him ruin his forks, FFS?

What would you rather have?

Advice from someone that knows roughly what to do, and why to do it, warn you of the pitfalls and advise you not to do what you're about to do?

Or advice from someone telling you how to do the job regardless?

Becasue if I'm wrong, all he ends up with is a nicely working set of forks! But if my ficticious counterpart is wrong, he chucks a couple of hunderd quid down the drain AND ends up with buggered forks!!!!!

Eh?
    🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

could still be wrong but I think my apparent 'wear' (increasing looseness over time) is a symptom of that. I don't think it being a 29er fork helps either, as the bushings are the same depth as they are in a 26" fork except now they've got a longer fork to deal with

I think you're right. Instead of a tight fork wearing in, you end up with a bit of slackness instead.
    My first set of Rebas went like that. I had them serviced at less than a year old, then kept them and used them hard for another 3 years and they were still as tight as they were after the service when I sold them. Similar with my Recons, but I didn't keep them that long after the service…..
    I think there's fair chance yours will do this – Go loose, one service, then never need doing again. 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup there you go again PP 🙄 I am not getting on your case but here's how I see it:

Its not that you might be right and you ARE helping people (which is good) it's your attitude that's the problem but as you said "It's the way I am and I'm neiter sorry or about to change" so there is no point continuing on this topic really?

And YOU may notice I didn't use FF$ and am still polite and also like to help people on here, hopefully with some decorum 😯

willsimmons
    Free Member

PP, I value people's advice but I also respect the fact that they might have an idea of their own rather than presuming in the first instance that they don't know what they are in doing. In my case I have spent ~ 8 years working in the cycle industry and have quite a lot of experience of riding and fixing bikes. You clearly have a lot of knowledge, that is valuable on here but perhaps I and others would value it more highly if put across in a different context. I am not saying I am perfect, because I am not but the superiority air that comes across from people on this forum at times, and in life in general, is a bugbear of mine.

I won't go on about the tool again, but as with the rationale I put before with the options I was aware of at the time the purchase of the tools MAY have been the best option available to me. Note I also asked if there were any shops/or anyone who had the tool. I was just trying to work out what the best course of action was. Sending each pair off for an expensive service, potentially every 6 months if the same thing happens again, would get very expensive.

One set of the forks (two are displaying the same symptoms) are on their way to LoCo now and I will report back with what the outcome is, regardless of whether I have got it totally wrong. I suspect though that we're both right, he'll fit new ones, sized specifically for my CSUs and they'll last considerably longer – OR AT LEAST I HOPE SO!!

Macavity
    Free Member

Whats the difference between a bush and a bushing?
    When is a bush not a bearing?

Macavity
    Free Member
    willsimmons
    Free Member

For anyone interested the bushings have been replaced, sized 'tight' by Loco Tuning and the forks are now back to their former glory. I will be sending off my other pair of forks for the same thing in the near future.

Wasn't keen on tapping into the fork to attempt 're-sizing', as that seems somewhat of a bodge to me and surely you wouldn't have a uniform fit along the length of each bushing. So with the agreement of Loco we went for replacement.

I would thoroughly recommend the service from Loco Tuning by the way.

whytetrash

Ahhh …I love a happy ending 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox bushing replacement tools – anyone got them?’ is closed to new replies.