Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Roasting pork
  • mtbfix

I've got a big leg joint at home and need to get it roasted. Does it cook the same as the normal ham you buy at the supermarket?

Recipe suggestions welcome.

radoggair
    Free Member

Stick your pork into the oven and cook. When ready, pul out oven, cut the fat of the top ( turn your oven up full or even better stick your grill on), score and rub salt into the fat. Stick under grill/oven and leave until nice and crispy. pork with crackling – done

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

That's exactly what I was going to say!

hoberinos
    Free Member

This is what I do with shoulder – should work for leg (don't quote me on that!).
    Is it bone in?

Dry and score the skin, rub with salt.
    Season all over.
    Whack in oven at full temp for 1/2 hour skin side up.
    Turn oven down to 170º c, cover with a double layer of foil and cook for 4 1/2 hrs.
    Uncover and cook for an hour.

Meat will fall apart, skin will be crackled up good.
    mmmm…. slow roast…

jimmy

get some fennel seeds, chilli flakes, black pepper, sage or rosemary and rock salt in there. Its how the Italians do their roast pork and its AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWESOME.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

*exits thread disappointed it wasn't as expected*

anokdale
    Free Member

Lobby Dosser +1 — Lady Gaga came to mind.

simonjf63
    Free Member

If it's decent quality pork with a good bit of fat under the skin then I'd treat it as simply as possible. Make sure the skin is a dry as possible, score it, salt it. Don't be tempted to oil the skin. Preheat your oven as hot as you can get it then put it in for 20 minutes to half an hour. Turn the oven down to about 180C until done (around 20 minute per pound with an extra 10 at the end). It's more art than science
    Nice glass(es) of wine

el_creedo
    Free Member

I saw some top chef (may be one that all us cyclists hate after some stupid comments in a car review column!) advise that – once the skin i scored, pour boiling water over it and that forces the scoring further open so it's easier to get the heat into the fat once it's in the oven.

So – pour water, drain excess off, leave for a few mins, pat dry, rub salt in, dog it in a proper hot oven, turn heat down after 15mins to normal cooking temp.

anagallis_arvensis

I can confirm the boiling water thing does really help.

nicko74

Oh boo, I'm not the first to think this might be related to Lady Gaga…

mtbfix

Thanks for the tips folks. I have forwarded the link to herself to get things going along for dinner tonight.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I think to get great crackling it's best to get the skin as dry as possible before cooking (i.e. drying with paper towels, leaving the joint uncovered in the fridge overnight, etc.) and score it with a proper sharp knife then lots of crushed salt.

……. hungry now 🙁

matthewjb
    Free Member

Long slow roasting as others have said is the key.

I use a River Cafe recipe. There's a version here.

For the slow cooking phase after the initial 30 minute blast turn the heat down to 100c and leave for up to 24hrs! (Depending on the size of your joint)

BigJohn

I always remove the skin about 45 mins before the meat is done and scrape any fat off the back and let it roast separately (in with the spuds) for about 20 mins. Then take it out and leave it in a warm place. It's the cooling period that lets it go really crisp.

thegreatape
    Free Member

NIce one.

Got a pork joint in the fridge for tonight. Going to try the boiling water trick, and no oil. Have always struggled with the crackling.

epicyclo

I'm pretty sure it was Charles Lamb who came up with this recipe.

Drive your pigs into the shed.
    Burn down shed.
    Eat pigs.

KT1973
    Free Member

While the oven is preheating, score the skin of the pork. It will be scored already, but it's always best to add a few more lines. To do this you can use the point of a very sharp paring knife, or Stanley knife, or you can now even buy a special scalpel from a good quality kitchen shop! What you need to do is score the skin all over into thin strips, bringing the blade of the knife about halfway through the fat beneath the skin.
    Now place the pork in a tin, skin-side up, halve the onion and wedge the two pieces in slightly underneath the meat. Now take about 1 tbsp of crushed salt crystals and sprinkle it evenly over the skin, pressing it in as much as you can. Start by pouring a small amount of the oil into your hands. It’s very important to warm it up by rubbing your hands together before applying it. Use just a little at first. You don’t want it to get too wet and sloppy, and you can always apply more if needed. Use fingertips in softer, more sensitive areas and full hand in areas such as the back and shoulders. A good technique is to start with the feet, working up to the neck area, then turning her over on her back to work on her chest and legs. Become an expert on how to give a massage by using this for ultimate blood flow to the genital area Rub her feet, but don’t spend too much time here or she might get sleepy. Then work up the back of her legs, softly touching her inner thighs, brushing her genital area. Use your fingertips on the lower part of her bottom and top of her legs together, ending with tickles in her inner thighs. Working up, tickle the insides of the bottom crack. Work up the back, massaging on the outsides of the spinal cord, but not the spinal cord itself. Lightly tickle the lower middle back for a special sensation. Spend a few moments on an erotic massage of the neck and arms. Don’t rub too hard, still keeping with gentle movements. Rub her hands, devoting your time to each individual finger. Finish by holding each of her hands in each of your hands for a loving moment. Tell her you are going to turn her over at this point, and assist her in her repositioning as if she is a delicate china doll. Gently rub her shoulders, and lightly touch her nipples and breast area, stroking the outer sides of the breasts together. You don’t want to be too invasive at this point, but you don’t want to ignore her super-sensitive areas either. Use fingertips down her stomach, gliding down towards her legs, lightly brushing her inner thighs, near her genital area. As you brush her inner thighs, gently rub her entire vulva, following with clitoral stimulation. Slowly use your fingers to give her internal pleasure. Place the pork on a high shelf in the oven and roast it for 25 minutes. Turn the heat down to 190C/375F/Gas 5, and calculate the total cooking time allowing 35 minutes to the pound. In this case it would be a further 2½ hours.
    There's no need to baste pork as there is enough fat to keep the meat moist. The way to tell if the meat is cooked is to insert a skewer in the thickest part and the juices that run out should be absolutely clear without any trace of pinkness.
    When the pork is cooked remove it from the oven and give it at least 30 minutes resting time before carving. While that is happening, tilt the tin and spoon all the fat off, leaving only the juces. The onion will probably be black and charred, which gives the gravy a lovely rich colour. Leave the onion in, then place the roasting tin over direct heat, turned to low, sprinkle in the flour and quickly work it into the juices with a wooden spoon.
    Now turn the heat up to medium and gradually add the cider and the stock, this time using a balloon whisk until it comes up to simmering point and you have a smooth rich gravy. Taste and season with salt and pepper, then discard the onion and pour the gravy into a warmed serving jug. Serve the pork carved in slices, giving everyone some crackling.

Works for me everytime

swollen
    Free Member

Sounds good KT- I'll have to try that one

bassspine
    Free Member
    KT1973
    Free Member

bassspine – Member
    junkie pig

yum

teagirl
    Free Member

Spouse just made ours, that a chum supplied, slathered it in coriander seed, harissa and black treacle with mixed herbs, nom nom!

genesis
    Free Member

2 ways to get top crackling either scald it then rub in salt, or score the fat the rub in a mixture of 50:50 flour and salt.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

This is from Mrs Steelfreak:
    I had a 13 lb leg of free range old spot for Christmas day. It was so local we saw the pig and had a photo of it I cooked it in the manner that my father taught me.

Get a big enough roasting dish, with at least 5cms or 2 inches around whole joint.

Make sure it is well scored, "the meat" as others said.

Place in the centre of the pan. Pour boiling water over the joint until the pan has 2inches 0r 5cm water around the meat.

Make a tent with foil making sure that it does not touch the meat.

Whack in an oven pre heated to 200c for 1/2 hour (to get the water in the pan boiling).

Turn oven down to 150c and cook for 2 hours.

Take pork out, turn oven down to 80c.

Check that there is 2 inches juices in pan. if not top up. skim off fat.

Re tent pork, making sure that the seal is airtight.

Leave overnight. If you think that this is extravagant turn you heating off downstairs for the night. The heat of the oven kept our house warm.

About 10 am if eating at 12 take out oven, de tent, drain juices in a pan, put meat back into the oven.

simmer juices until 1/4 of quantity, add a large glass good cider, 1/2 good quality chicken stock cube, tablespoon worcester sauce, 2 table spoons redcurrant jelly, 1/2 jar good crab apple jelly. and thicken with a mix of cornflour and water in a little of the gravy (add gradually), when reduced to half. If lumpy sieve.

You will have the most tender pork and fabulous gravy that you have ever tasted and you will be able to pull the bones out with your hand. The only drawback is that it is tricky to carve as it is so tender…

You will have the most

Steelfreak
    Free Member

forgot to say 1hour before eating take out oven. brush with jiuces or gravy, salt and whack back in the oven for 1/2 hour on 150-180c.

Leave to rest for 1/2 hour before carving.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Roasting pork’ is closed to new replies.