Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • roadies! saddle bag or jersey pockets?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Been using a small saddle bag on my cross bike and was going to use it on my road bike this weekend but the zip went on it. Stuck tyre levers and inner tube in my back pocket and got a small pump on the bottle cage. Seemed to work fine so wondered if most people just put stuff in their pockets or does anyone use a saddle bag? if so any recommendations? ta

Marmoset
    Free Member

Pockets here, carry a tube, phone, canisters and multi tool and raincoat if it look slike it might be required.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Both 🙂 Tube, CO2 micropump, change and spare tube and micro tool in saddle pack. Food, keys etc in back pocket 🙂

marc
    Free Member

An old Camelbak does the trick.

nickc

pockets.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Pockets.

headfirst
    Free Member

what foxy said

hels
    Free Member

I’m so paranoid if I cycle commute I carry two pumps at last count, and at least 4 tubes. Full waterproofs, number 8 fencing wire etc etc.

bob_summers

pockets. no shortage of them this time of year with all the layers.

if not, a sawn off bottle in the spare cage holds a few extras, anything to avoid the saddle bag…

ourmaninthenorth

I don’t have a real problem with the saddle bag so long as (1) it’s very small (I sue the tiniest Specalized) and (2) it’s cinched up super tight to avoid any rattling, swinging or other distraction.

Saddle bag takes: tube, allen keys, CO2 + head, tyre levers, chain link, patches, tube.

Pump (Lezyne, natch) mounted next to bottle cage.

Pockets then only have phone, keys, money and the odd gel.

meeeee
    Free Member

topeak micro saddlebag

micro aero

and pockets

nickc

and the odd gel.

bacon and guava fruit? Marmite and jam?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Rule 29:
    Saddle bags have no place on a road bike, and are only acceptable on mountain bikes in extreme cases.

oddjob
    Free Member

Pockets.
    There is no way on earth I am putting a saddle bag on any of my bikes – ugly rattly and scratch the seat post.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Pump stays on the frame so that I don’t forget it, everything else lives in one of these which is on the seat tube bottle cage, has the benefit of keeping everything dry when it rains.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

One of the tiny saddlebags, so I can just throw on a bottle and go.

Tube (2 for long ride), levers, allen keys/chain tool, links, CO2 pump and spare canister.

Bazz

Saddle bag, i have a phobia of coming off and the allen keys on my multi tool performing keyhole surgery on my kidneys.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Rule 29:
    Saddle bags have no place on a road bike, and are only acceptable on mountain bikes in extreme cases.

Only talking a spesh min-wedgie for £9 🙂

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

@foxyrider:

RULE 3:
    No matter how good you think your reason is to knowingly breach The Rules, it is never good enough.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

both here too

Rorschach
    Free Member

Rule 1:
    Obey The Rules.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Makes me a ROUNTAIN BIKER then – neither a proper mountain biker or a proper roadie 😉

tony_m
    Free Member

Rule 83:
    Stuff The Rules 8)

Can’t stand carrying more than a snotrag and a few sweets in my jersey pockets, so Carradice Barley saddlebag or Prima rack pack here.

FuzzyWuzzy

Both for me

Saddle Bag:
    2 x tubes
    multi-tool
    tyre levers
    tyre patch
    chain tool
    missing links

Pockets:
    phone
    keys
    food
    wallet
    cleat covers
    latex gloves (mostly as backup for cold rather than keeping hands clean :p )
    and depending on conditions arm warmers/rain jacket

Just bought a Topeak top tube box so will migrate keys + phone to that in future.

turboferret

Pockets for me, mainly because I don’t have a saddle bag. 2 phones, some cash, pump, tube, multi-tool, levers and a couple of cereal bars fit fine.

Cheers, Rich

Bream
    Free Member

Pockets, all the room I need, even for all dayers 😀

maxlite
    Free Member

Smallest bag possible (specialized mini), which means everything is always on bike ready to go….

as ‘FuzzyWuzzy’

Saddle Bag:
    tube
    multi-tool
    tyre levers
    tyre patch
    chain tool
    missing links

Pockets:
    ph

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Rule 83:
    Stuff The Rules

I agree. If I know that the saddle bag on my road bike contains everything I need for a ride (spare tube, tyre levers, multitool) then I know I can just get on and ride it without having to stuff loads of stuff into my jersey pockets. I have a pump on the frame and my pockets just contain a phone and wallet along with my keys and a bit of loose change.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Both – small Pedros bag
    (made from recycled inner tubes) – for multi tool – spare tubes x2 – tyre levers & emergency £10 Rest goes in pockets – mainly mini pump – Montaine jet stream jacket – gels/ energy bars & phone

cheers_drive

Both for me

Small saddle bag stays on bike so I can just grab the bike and go when I get home from work. having said that other than a non essential tweak using the multitool i’ve not needed to use its contents in over 2 years.
    Tube
    Multitool inc chain tool
    Adhesive patch
    CO2 inflator + spare canister
    Tyre levers

Pockets:
    Food (if any)
    Spare clothes (if any)
    Money and keys

The saddle bag does not rattle or damage the post. Perhaps it spoils the lines of the bike but as soon as I get on it wearing lycra I do that anyway.

kennyp
    Free Member

If I’m out on my mountain bike, especially up in the Highlands, then I take a Camelbak or rucksack stuffed with everything I need to survive, including spending a night in the hills if need be.

On the other hand, if I’m on my nice road bike everything is stripped back to the minimum in order to stick as closely to The Rules as possible. I even do things like ditch the wallet and just carry a £20 note and a credit card to save weight, as if that makes even the slightest bit of difference when you’re as slow as me. However it makes me feel better.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

both. mainly because i am quite forgetful and would never have anything with me. tube and tools in saddle bag, pump attached to frame and then phone, key and sweets / jacket / hat / money in pockets.

My mountain bikes also have seatpacks, again for the same reason.

jonb
    Free Member

Most stuff in a saddle bag. Pump, tube tool etc. I rarely use so just leave them in there. Also when I’ve got full pockets it makes it hard to find what your looking which is never good if your going down pothole strewn roads in a bunch at 25mph+

I only really ride for training and club runs though. The few races I’ve done I’ve carried water, gels, food, pump, tube, smallest tool I can find.
    I suppose it depends what you are riding. If I’m out for a solo century or longer then 2 of my pockets will be full of food and I’ll also have a map if it’s a new route and a jacket if it looks like it may be cold or wet.

poisonspider
    Free Member

What are the rules on a Camelbak on the road bike?

crazy-legs

Both for me:- small saddle bag with tubes, levers, patches, gas can, multitool cos then I know it’s all there.
    Little pump, plus any spare clothing, food etc goes in jersey pockets.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Rule 32:

Hydration packs are never to be seen on a road rider’s body. No argument will be entered into on this.

dustytrails

Pockets only here. I hate having stuff rattling around on my bikes, road or mountain. Only bottle cages on road bike & nowt on mtb – camelbak

rootes1

pockets

Hornet600
    Free Member

Aren’t there enough rules in life already without making more for something you do to enjoy?
    (Lights touch paper and runs for the hills! :lol:)

Hornet600
    Free Member

I use saddle bag, very small, just room for 1 tube, micro gas head and 1 cannnister. Then use jersey pockets for everything else.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘roadies! saddle bag or jersey pockets?’ is closed to new replies.