Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 152 total)
  • Roadies and team kit
  • nickc

I'm feeling slightly smug about this, so forgive me, but what is it about some folks on road bikes who go about dressed in full kit (in this case Cevelo test team) on a really nice bikes, and then sort of, well, forget to do the "good at riding" bit.

Came upon a bloke yesterday, dressed as above, passed him, he clung to my wheel for a bit, I pointed out a pothole, and he went crashing through it, then couldn't keep up, then had a pop at me for riding too fast…

I mean, if it was me, I'd make sure that I could at least hold my own if was going about dressed like that,

uplink
    Free Member

Who knows?
    A couple of years ago CSC were giving away full team kits as [strike]bribes[/strike] corporate gifts, maybe he got it all free?

I got 3 lots of kit & some other stuff off them 🙂

Ed2001
    Free Member

You are a cycling God

oldgit
    Free Member

I couldn't wear team kit, though I did when I was young then again there wasn't much choice then, basically your club or a teams kit.
    Ti Raleigh
    Magniflex Fufamicine?
    KAS

MrSmith
    Free Member

not much different from the xc mincers rolling with the motocross look, i'm sure they wear full facers so people can't see their lips move as the make BBRRHMMM BBRRRRHHMMMM noises

nonk
    Free Member

maybe he had way more miles in his legs that day than you?

cynic-al
    Free Member

It's the equivalent of stormtroopers at Spooky Wood, or wearing Man U strip for 5 aside.

njee20
    Free Member

Replica team kits are generally the preserve of the idiot and certainly not the decent rider.

For full effect you should have full Radio Shack kit, riding a Specialized, or full Cervelo kit and riding a Colnago etc.

This chap seems to conform to the stereotype.

titusrider
    Free Member

I'm with nonk on this its quite likely hes done 90 miles already and was shagged and appreciating the drafting for a bit. I did 101miles on sun and by the end there was no way I could anything except cling on to a wheel and stare at a rear brake (including crashing through holes!)

ooOOoo
    Free Member

They do look cool

njee20
    Free Member

Even if he had done lots of miles you don't shout at some randomer for going too fast. He was an idiot, even if he had done 90 miles.

headfirst
    Free Member

then had a pop at me for riding too fast…

WTF?

DWH
    Free Member

Yeah, it's amazing what people wear isn't it?

Just recently I've seen loads of people wearing parts of the England football team kit and most of them looked like they could barely walk to the park let alone get picked for the national team.

nickc – You'd better put together some kind of list for us so we know where we stand. I usually wear my club kit so I guess I'm exempt, but what do I need to do to (say) wear a Team Sky top?

For starters can you tell us what you wear and what your 10 mile TT is or how many BC points you've got – and what kit we get to wear if we're faster / slower than you.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Whilst I was out yesterday on the MTB I passed a chap (on an MTB) wearing HTC Columbia kit..

oldgit
    Free Member

Here's a fine example.
    I did a organised 100K ride, and a guy turned up with a Rainbow jersey and looked like he was giving it the big I am. His manner and jersey led me to believe that actually he was someone, after all no one has balls that big do they?
    Then on the ride I came across him just as I was finishing a final loop before the dash for home. This guy and his cronies looked at the signs pointing to this final leg and totally ignored it and procedded to overtake us to finish before us.
    He might be a nice bloke but to me he will always be a gonad.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

I wear team kit when on my road bike

oldgit
    Free Member

What circuit is that, and why is that fella admiring the view instead of getting on a wheel?

mcboo
    Free Member

Couple of tools out yesterday wearing their "I did the Marmotte" jerseys. One of them still had his race number on the bike.

No kidding

AntLockyer
    Free Member

@oldgit, it's Redbridge AKA Hoghill. I think that guy was assesing the gap the break had got on us. That's the crest of a horrible steep climb.

DezB
    Free Member

why is that fella admiring the view instead of getting on a wheel?
    I reckon he's thinking of nicking the riderless bike 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah I could see it was a climb. Don't know if I'd fancy hoghill, thought it looked new.
    I suppose I should get over there for a race.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

It's a difficult place to race. I'm not much of a climber.

BigDummy
    Free Member

If we see flabby chaps who can't play football wearing football shirts we assume that they are expressing support for a team, not pretending to be a member. We may charitably assume the same of people who buy replica cycling team kit perhaps. 🙂

bullheart
    Free Member

I wear a string vest and bloomers.

glenh
    Free Member

Without wishing to be rude, how can that pic be "the crest of a horrible steep climb."?
    I can clearly see in the background that there are no hills for many miles 😛

zangolin
    Free Member

Wear what you like – fast or slow, riding god or mere mortal why should it matter?

oldgit
    Free Member

Though to balance things about a bit. We saw some people in Francais De Jeux kit and they were Francais De Jeux riders out training.

One thing you have to know about me, and that is I'm a terrible snob when it comes to cycling. It's learnt behavior from the 70s so some of the stuff I see today can often burst a blood vessel.

oldgit
    Free Member

Without wishing to be rude, how can that pic be "the crest of a horrible steep climb."?
    I can clearly see in the background that there are no hills for many miles

When the guy up front is giving it the berries at 32MPH it becomes steep!

Okay 32 is a bit of an exaggeration but you know what I mean.

Gary_M
    Free Member

These threads make me laugh, it's usually the same story 'why do people wear team kit when I don't and I'm so much better than them', or 'I passed them on my downhill bike up a 25% climb'.

nickc I don't understand why you care what people wear.

I wouldn't wear team kit, it's not my thing, but I couldn't give a toss what any other rider, fast or slow, wear what you like.

convert

The difference with cycling pro team kit to football kit (and indeed corporate setup) is that footballerists have traditional club colours and then horrible marketing men adorn them with a few coportate logos (Man U and Aon next year for example). In cycling the actual name of the pro cycling outfit is virtually unknown to the public and the corporate sponsor takes the lead name, with kit colours designed around their corporate image. Therefore in my eyes your Sunday afternoon kick about footballerist is wearing his preferred club colours as a sign of homage and the Sunday rider is wearing a giant advert.

Wear club/team kit if your are in the team, otherwise choose something that actually looks good!

oldgit
    Free Member

Gary_M I bet you would ride a bike in public with frayed cables you hippy.

I think it all went downhill when they bought out coloured bar tape.

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

I'm with GaryM, why care what people wear? Although I did work with a guy who rode a hybrid with child seat decked out in a full team kit, he had to ride in something, life too short for caring about what someone has plastered all over their lycra.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I rode in this morning;

on a lilac tourer

Wearing
    Red/white/black top
    Orange addidas football shorts
    Skate shoes (brown, with red laces)

I do hope I didn't offend you :p

Dibbs
    Free Member

ife too short for caring about what someone has plastered all over their lycra.

If the price is right I don't care what it looks like (I draw the line at denim-look lycra though). 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

I'm not saying I dress in gash kit, most certainly not, but I couldn't care less if other people decide to dress in horrible gear.

Frayed cables?, no way, things have to look right – for me. The devil's in the detail.

nickc

I don't really care what folk wear. The point I was trying to make was; he was obviously out enjoying his day tooling about on his bike minding his own business. I came past him then he decided to chase me, but couldn't. Do you see what I mean? It was almost as if because he was in the kit…

I'm faster than some folk people are faster than me. It was just a bit of a weird experince is all. To be shouted at for doing a ride at my own pace by this random bloke.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Why don't people wear plain roadie kit?
    MTB clothes aren't peppered with corporate logos

oldgit
    Free Member

I remember when you had to remove the logos on race shoes.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Oh yeh the random telling you to slow down thing was odd, very odd.

I remember when it was all fields round 'ere.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

I can clearly see in the background that there are no hills for many miles

The place itself is on the top of a hill the picture is fcing toward London which is flat.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘Roadies and team kit’ is closed to new replies.