Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Roadie bike gear set up help please.
  • granny_ring

A friend bought one of THESE online a couple of months ago and I’m trying to sort out the gears for her.

For a start the chain is rubbing on the inside of the cage on front mech. Without the cable connected and when unscrewing the low screw, the mech catches the seat tube before allowing enough clearance from the chain so it rubs. Mech looks inline to the chainrings. I was thinking that the bottom bracket is too short in the spindle?

Also the front shifter has 3 settings for a triple, as bike is fitted with a double chainset should the bigger ring be used with the middle or outer click on the shifter?

Hope that makes sense….not used to these darkside bike thingies…..

TIA

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Can’t help with your chanline issue but the shifter should be big ring on the middle setting and the inner on the RHS.

gearfreak
    Free Member

Send it back as not fit for purpose. There is a reason they are so cheap…

gearfreak
    Free Member

But, yes sounds like a BB with a longer spindle is required.

granny_ring

She cant find the receipt, I was going to speak to the shop concerned.
    Ok if the big chainring is on the the middle shifter position then chain clearance is determined by the cable tension?

Pyro

Might not be 3 clicks for a triple, some of the shifters have a ‘trim’ position to stop the cage rubbing in certain positions. One to watch if you’re tuning it up.

Also yes, sounds like the BB spindle is too short.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

If it’s a HT2 BB, maybe it’s been assembled with the spacers on the wrong side? Should be 2 on the drive side, one on the NDS

Edit… doh, cartridge BB, guess you’re right about the spindle

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Roadie bike gear set up help please.’ is closed to new replies.