• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by aP.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Roadbike transmission.
  • singlespeeddan
    Free Member

I am debating whether to go ten speed for my new project. Have been 9 speed on the old one and it has been bomb proof. What is the longevity of 10 speed stuff like? I notice tiagra is becoming 10 speed now.

RealMan
    Free Member

Loving my Ultegra 6700. Proper nice kit.

Much better then my old used and abused sora 8 speed, for some reason..

But it is just one more, go for whatever works out cheapest (or looks the best). But don’t be scared of having one more.

crikey
    Free Member

I’ve had 10 speed Ultegra on my ‘good’ bike for 2 years now, and it’s never been a problem, not changed anything and have put a fair few miles on it including the Tour of Flanders sportive. I’ve also got 10 speed 105 on my cross bike which has had considerable battering including the 3 Peaks.

Nae problem jimmy.

GJP
    Free Member

Never had any problems – lasts as long as 9 speed IMO

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

Was thinking 105 shifters, and tiagra mechs/derailleurs. Can probably get the shifting and brakeing for under £300 and then use an old square taper bb and a stronglight crank for a retro look.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

My 10 speed has been grand. I like having an extra cog since I use a cassette with a mega range and its nice to have more gears in there. Maybe if you use a close ratio cassette then 9 speed would do you?

Have a look on Merlin and all those German bike shop sites, they usually sell groupsets really cheap. I got a full sram Rival (not oem either) groupset for about £400 ealrier this year

aP
    Free Member

The Chorus 10 speed on my main road bike has been totally trouble free for 6 and a half years, I rode the Maratona this year on the same chain as I rode the Marmotte on in 08, probably should have changed it as I’ve ridden about 20,000 miles since then on that chain and cassette.
    It’s about to be retired for Chorus 11 and the old stuff will go onto my no.2 cross bike.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Roadbike transmission.’ is closed to new replies.