Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Road wheel with MTB hub??
  • twosheds
    Free Member

I’ve got a XT rear hub with a worn out MTB rim. Is it possible to fit a 700 rim? Obviously the spokes wont fit. I could do with another rear wheel for the road bike. Thanks for any comments.

BadlyWiredDog

Yes you can fit a road rim to that hub, but I’m guessing that the XT hub is a 135mm one while your road bike is likely to be 130mm spacing. I’m not a metallurgist, but I suspect that spreading an aluminium frame out, even by just 5mm, is not a good idea. Don’t know about carbon or steel, but I’d do some checking and maybe just invest in a correctly spaced road hub.

mtbfix

I did it and the steel frame splayed easily enough. XT hubs weigh a freakin’ ton compared to road hubs though.

twosheds
    Free Member

Mmm thanks, its a hybrid frame I’ll have look tomorrow if the hub fits.

druidh
    Free Member

Is it a disk hub?

twosheds
    Free Member

Its a non disc

twosheds
    Free Member

Come to think of it Ive also got front wheel with a nice old hope hub thats still running silky smooth. Its got a ceramic rim thats worn out too. Need to find out the costs of fitting the rim.

druidh
    Free Member

If it’s a non-disc hub, it’s probably 130 and should work fine.

MrOvershoot

If its any help last I built up some winter road wheels for my CX bike using LX centre lock hubs(cheap from On-One a while back) & some old Mavic Open 4 CD rims I had.

Probably not but I thought I would share 😉

twosheds
    Free Member

So I recon I’ll get a better set of spare winter road wheels by using my old (but good condition) hubs on a new set of rims. Say £45 for the rims, £30 to build them?

cynic-al
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    If it’s a non-disc hub, it’s probably 130 and should work fine.

mtb hubs have been 135mm since 1990 at the latest.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Road wheel with MTB hub??’ is closed to new replies.