Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)
  • Road riding, what am I doing wrong?
  • mboy
    Free Member

OK, so I don’t ride on the road very much, but I can’t help but thinking I’m doing something wrong. The issue seems to be that no matter what I do, I just can’t get above a 16mph average speed when riding on my own.

On a Mountain Bike, I’m not slow, I’m nowhere near fast but on a group ride I’ll usually be in the top half for fitness/pace. But people I know that I am easily as quick as, or quicker than on a Mountain Bike, would muller me on a road bike!

If it makes a difference (I guess not) the bike is a bog standard (save for the saddle) 2010 Giant Defy 2, fairly heavy wheels and cheap Kenda tyres (not that I’m blaming them), Tiagra 9spd with 34/50 and 12-25, carbon post etc. Before I add water bottles and the like it’s just under 21lb including pedals, so I don’t think it’s the bike holding me back by any means!

What I do find though is on the flat, I’m pretty much always in the 50T ting, but only on the 3rd cog down (21T), if there’s any rise I’m straight for the 34T ring and have to shift up a couple on the back (which infuriates me compared to much closer spaced rings on MTB’s!), but also unless it’s really steep and fast DH, I never get above about the 5th cog (17T I think) on the back. So there’s a lot of wear going on on the 2nd to 5th cogs really, but I barely ever use the 6th-9th.

I was taught years ago to try to spin, and I don’t spin that fast per se, but I’d guess I’m bimbling along at about 80rpm (judging by my “normal” cadence on a stationary bike at the gym) in whatever gear I can push. Should I drop my cadence, and push harder? Should I forget using the 50T ring unless I’m going downhill, and try and spin faster?

Any help appreciated, but from a technical standpoint (not that I should be trying to fix poor technique with changing components) it seems to me that I’d be better off most of the time with a 39T chainring, ie. the same as the smaller on a STD chainset. But then I’d NEVER want a 53T big ring unless I was descending in the Alps I expect, but I’d want a smaller ring than the 39 to aid climbing, making me think I should have got a bike with a 30/39/50 triple on! 😕

simondbarnes

OK, so I don’t ride on the road very much

There is your problem. Rectify that and your issues will go away.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

How far do you ride at avg 16mph?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Suggsey
    Free Member

A lot of people struggle with double road sets initially and whilst I had a triple I wish I had opted for a bike with double as it was so rare that I ever used bail out gear (couple of times on LeJog). What psi you running your tyres at and how wide are they as the resistance of those two factors alone can have some bearing on road speed.
    And take the peak off your helmet 😆

mboy
    Free Member

There is your problem. Rectify that and your issues will go away.

I’ve tried that, didn’t really make that much difference. Still managed about the same.

TSY, anything up to probably 50 miles or so. Did 30 miles last night, and looking back at the line graph for speed/distance on Endomondo, there is absolutely nothing in it at the end of the 30 miles to the start. There is slight variation as it goes along obviously, up or down hills, but no variation in the average.

mboy
    Free Member

What psi you running your tyres at and how wide are they as the resistance of those two factors alone can have some bearing on road speed.

110psi and they’re 25c Kenda’s that came on the bike. I know they’re pretty heavy (I weighed them at 300g each, sad I know!) but it’s not about blaming the kit, I know that much.

And take the peak off your helmet

God damn it, I’ve been found out! Just can’t bring myself to do it, no way man… I’m riding on the road in my Shimano DX SPD shoes by the way, as they’re the most suitable shoes I’ve got really. Stifness isn’t so much an issue, I’m using Crank Bros Acid pedals, with a nice platform, so I don’t need inherently stiff soled shoes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It could be a bike setup related issue? Are your cleats in the right place? Is your saddle low/high enough? Is it far enough forwards/backwards.

john_l
    Free Member

16mph over 50 miles isn’t that slow, especially if there’s hills. But, the only way you’ll get faster is to ride faster for longer.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ahhh right… the solution, I’m sorry to say, is the obvious one…

Jase
    Free Member

So you do 30 miles at 16mph avg and 50 miles at 16mph avg?

Sounds like you’re not pushing yourself hard enough on the 30 mile ride.

LapSteel
    Free Member

I struggle to average over 15mph……. 🙁

I am crap but I have been trying hard for the past 8 months….I do ride a Halfords special though so I tend to blame the bike 😀

mrmo
    Free Member

ride more, ride hills.
    Your in Worcester? go ride up the wyche cutting a few times, pick a gear you have to roll not spin and learn to enjoy the pain. Just because you have the low gears doesn’t mean you should use them.

anyway 16mph isn’t that bad a speed, but it really depends on what your riding, it your riding in the vale of evesham and the wind isn’t blowing a gale should easily be able to add a couple of MPH, ride in the cotswolds and you loose a couple.

mboy
    Free Member

It could be a bike setup related issue? Are your cleats in the right place? Is your saddle low/high enough? Is it far enough forwards/backwards.

Cleats definitely in the right place, saddle height and position set with the help of a couple of veteran roadies after initially I had it slightly too high and backward.

16mph over 50 miles isn’t that slow, especially if there’s hills.

Really? Most people I know that ride road a bit are in the 20mph+ club, I’d not dare consider going on a ride with them cos I’d be on my own inside a couple of miles!

Suggsey
    Free Member

The stock wheel that came on my Giant were replaced with some very nice Mavic Kysirium Equippes and some Michelin Krylon Carbon tyres and boy did it make a difference! As someone else has said just ride more on the road and to be honest whilst I had the same M520’s on the road bike I did wear stiffer soled SIDI MTB shoes on the road bike. Heavy shoes will make it harder when I switched to my DX shoes on the MTB from the MT91 boots it felt like I was pedalling in racing shoes.

loddrik
    Free Member

Riding on road, that’s your problem, maybe you need to up the lycra and start taking yourself far more seriously.

mboy
    Free Member

ride more, ride hills.
    Your in Worcester? go ride up the wyche cutting a few times

Yup will do. Ironically last time I did a route including the Wyche, my average speed over the ride was no different. The slog up the Wyche was made up for by significantly breaking the speed limit coming back down through Malvern Link! 😳

pick a gear you have to roll not spin and learn to enjoy the pain. Just because you have the low gears doesn’t mean you should use them.

Is contradictory advice to what I was given! 😕 ARGH!

EDIT: And there’s the funny thing… On my hardtail, I’ve gone 1×10, and don’t find it limiting at all offroad, yet on the road, I could do with more gears (or certainly lower ones) if anything!

Ed2001
    Free Member

Yeah 16 mph av that sounds like your cleats 😆
    If you really want to get faster I would advise joining a club and riding with them. Simples

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If it’s not the cleats, it’ll be the colour of your bike!

samuri
    Free Member

Nah, they might say that. A normal road rider will go along between 16mph and 18mph average in reality.

Obviously it’ll be a bit faster in a big group but that’s because it’s easier. 16mph is alright especially over 50 miles, just ride a bit more and it’ll come.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Why cant you do more than 16mph though? what happens if you do try? Are you out of breath? Do your legs hurt? Do you just run out of energy?

Cleats definitely in the right place, saddle height and position set with the help of a couple of veteran roadies after initially I had it slightly too high and backward.

Just cos they are “veterans” it doesnt mean they know whats best. Have a look at Steve Hoggs bike fitting website, really useful.

simondbarnes

Really? Most people I know that ride road a bit are in the 20mph+ club, I’d not dare consider going on a ride with them cos I’d be on my own inside a couple of miles!

Relatively few people will average over 20mph consistently on solo rides of any distance. Group rides make it much easier to achieve higher average speeds.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Dont forget roadies are as prone to bulls**t re average speeds as MTBers are 😆
    Back in 2009 when I got properly riding fit for distance/endurance on the road I was doing regular (three consecutive days) 80 mile by myself averaging 18mph over hilly terrain. Ir amused me a number of times seeing out and out roadies out for their 20/10 mile sprints (which yes may have been done at 20mph plus) but could they last 80 miles at a fractionally slower speed? I liked to think not as they were not training for that type of riding.
    I will echo the need to embrace the pain though if yuou want to improve and would recommend investing in something like a Polar with cadence/HR etc etc.

swisstim
    Free Member

Also…80rpm is not spinning. Winter is the time for long slow spinny miles – which should be 90-110rpm, very good for leg speed. 80rpm and not really pushing on isn’t going to help you get fast this time of year. 80rpm and a ‘bigger’ gear sat down will build power but not leg speed which is what it sounds like you need to me.

tonyg2003

Hi. 16mph average very much depends on the terrain you are cycling. For meiIn cambridgeshire – where I cycle once a week – crap. In the south Wales Breacons – where my inlaws are – pretty good.

The only thing I’d say is if you can’t push bigger than 50×18 (or similar) on the flat then you need to start trying harder :D. Put simply – going fast on a road bike hurts and you need to train for it.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Relatively few people will average over 20mph consistently on solo rides of any distance. Group rides make it much easier to achieve higher average speeds.

Apart from huge bullshitters of which there are many on most forums.
    As I said join your local club start to ride with them
    BTW most people dont make easy rides easy enough and hard rides hard enough.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What do you use to calculate your average?

damo2576
    Free Member

Err, shift to a bigger gear and pedal faster?

16mph is reasonable though, how much climbing?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Why are people getting tetchy about some of the advice been given 🙄 I’m hoping to pick up some pointers, but I reckon riding with a chaingang will in time drive up your speed as well as more miles.

jam-bo

14mph average over 50 hilly miles yesterday.

But then I’m a fat unfit DH’er who stupidly signed up to do the Dartmoor classic in 7 weeks time…106 miles or bust…

mboy
    Free Member

Apart from huge bullshitters of which there are many on most forums.

I think the problem might be I genuinely know some REALLY quick guys… They’re not forum bullshitters anyhow.

As I said join your local club start to ride with them

I enjoy Mountain Biking way too much, the road bike is primarily for a bit of extra cycling, or for when I NEED to get out on a bike, but don’t have all day for a long Mountain Bike ride.

The only thing I’d say is if you can’t push bigger than 50×18 (or similar) on the flat then you need to start trying harder :D. Put simply – going fast on a road bike hurts and you need to train for it.

OK, seems it might be my technique then. Mountain Biking has taught me to push hard on the climbs to reap the rewards of freewheeling on the downs, or just turning the cranks over slowly on the flat. Road riding is obviously massively different, and I do pedal all the time, just obviously I need to pedal that bit harder to go faster!

Reassuring to know I’m not as slow as I thought I was anyway… Cheers guys.

jota180
    Free Member

16mph average?

Sounds like my sort of mediocrity, embrace it 🙂

damo2576
    Free Member

Pedal faster/harder to go faster shock!

oldgit
    Free Member

16 mph average is fine, try a bigger gear for a small change.
    Club runs tend to be between just under 17 and just under 19mph average.
    Training averages are a totally different kettle of fish and unique to individuals so don’t bother with those.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You can borrow my Tcr advanced sl with my 50mm carbon tubs, it has a double (and it weighs 14.9lb) if you want though I suspect you will still average 16mph.
    I’ve placed top 25 in most of mtb events I’ve done (dyfi,crc,no fuss etc) but I’ve had my arse handed to me in every cat3/4 race I’ve done and cat2’s are on a different planet.
    It’s a different game all together.Mtb fitness does’nt necessarily translate to road speed.

mboy
    Free Member

What do you use to calculate your average?

Tracking it all on Endomondo. Exactly 48km done, in 1hr54. Altitude gain/loss of 437m apparently, though I don’t trust Endomondo all that much for altitude, as it wasn’t a particularly hilly route I did. Well not IMO anyway.

Why cant you do more than 16mph though? what happens if you do try? Are you out of breath? Do your legs hurt? Do you just run out of energy?

Erm, it’s probably not being used to the pain to be honest. I find if I do push for a bit, up the speed on the flat, my legs start to hurt and I end up slowing back down again and the whole thing wasn’t worth it as I just burn out quicker. Suppose I need to work on pushing a little bit more each time, for a little bit longer. Not out of breath (though last night I was coughing up lots of lung butter for the first 10 miles, hadn’t realised this cold I had had affected me so much), not out of energy certainly inside of 40-50 mile rides anyway.

Sandwich

And mine! 😀

shedbrewed
    Free Member

In the same sort of boat as you, except I’m not worrying about it.
    I don’t have a special bike (2010 Tricross) on cheap Schwalbe blizzard tyres and I pedal in northwave winter boots.
    I found that over the last 6 months as I’ve been doing more miles my av speeds have come up.
    There have been a few changes; first off I have been doing more distance in each go. I went up from 4 to 9 then to 16, then to 28 then to 45. My av speed over the 9 miles was 19mph, but would drop to 14 over the longer distances and then as time has gone on it has slowly come up to 16-17 depending on weather.
    I also drink a glass of milk when I get home to help my muscles, but truth be told the steady increase in distance is what makes the difference.
    It’s also meant that I enjoy it more. Quite simply I’m getting fitter through practice.
    Pedal more, enjoy more.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I find if I do push for a bit, up the speed on the flat, my legs start to hurt and I end up slowing back down again and the whole thing wasn’t worth it as I just burn out quicker. Suppose I need to work on pushing a little bit more each time, for a little bit longer

Thats why I said it could be a bike setup issue. I’ve found if my saddle or cleats are in the wrong position then my legs start to hurt quite a bit sooner than they normally would.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

but truth be told the steady increase in distance is what makes the difference.

This doesnt really make the difference at all. Going out and pootling along for 80 miles isnt going to make your speed over 30 miles any quicker. Riding hard and fast over 30 miles will (or over even less of a distance)

mboy
    Free Member

You can borrow my Tcr advanced sl with my 50mm carbon tubs, it has a double (which weighs 14.9lb) if you want though I suspect you will still average 16mph.

Cheers

I suspect you’re right though, unless there was a placebo “this is lighter, it should be faster” effect and I put more effort in.

I’ve placed top 25 in most of mtb events I’ve done (dyfi,crc,no fuss etc) but I’ve had my arse handed to me in every cat3/4 race I’ve done and cat2’s are on a different planet.
    It’s a different game all together.Mtb fitness does’nt necessarily translate to road speed.

Good point, cos the guys I know who are pretty quick still won’t road race unless it’s a distance event, and even then they still finish a looooong way off the pace. I’m not even that quick on an MTB, but I’m comfortably quicker on an MTB than I am a road bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Road riding, what am I doing wrong?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts