Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road rides leaving from Stirling/Stirling Uni ?
  • whatnobeer
    Free Member

Will be heading over to Stirling next weekend and I’m looking for any suggestions for a road loop of between 60 and 70 miles, hopefully avoiding any of the busy main roads nearby. I don’t know the area that well, but we’ll be parking at the Uni campus and heading out from there. Any locals got any suggestions?

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Loads of routes!

Best bet is looking on Stirling Bike Club, Saturday rides with a cafe at the end! Doesn’t get better

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Brilliant, cheers bazookajoe, hadn’t even thought of looking at their website!

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Think the road rides are still 1000 from The Peak at Forthbank on Saturdays, the animals may leave a bit earlier but it’ll all be on the website and no doubt someone else’ll be along shortly, I’ve not really rode with them for a while. mmmm … corrieri’s

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Not sure what time we’ll be arriving, so we might just steal one of the routes from their forum and follow that. But lots of inspiration there.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’ve ridden with the stirling club a few times – great rides if you can make it out with them.

StirlingCrispin

Missing busy main roads completely is difficult but they’re not too bad away from rush hour and loops can be put together mostly avoiding them.

From the Uni, I’d be heading west over the Dukes Pass (Callander via Doune) and back via Aberfoyle. Or add a few miles on by taking in Loch Katrine (closed road, and stunning!)
    Or – head out to Kippen, Fintry, Carron Valley and back into Stirling.
    Or – head east through the Hillfoots, across Glen Devon and back via Auchterarder.
    These routes can get icey is the temp drops and can be done keeping off main roads.
    I work on Uni campus and there are a couple of roadies there that will be happy to give you more info. Ping me an email if you want me to pass your email address on.

fasthaggis

I have seen big groups leaving from the Peak sports centre ,when I have been using the climbing wall on Sat mornings.

The Peak

StirlingCrispin

Oh – and head into Corrieri’s at the Causewayhead roundabout. It’s the cycling cafe. The brewery (in BofA behind the Queens’ hotel is also cyclist friendly!

And don’t forget the Sherrifmuir Rd which climbs straight out of the Uni across to Greenloaning/Blackford.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info! I can see myself spending most of the afternoon on google streetview and RideWithGps plotting a plan of attack 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road rides leaving from Stirling/Stirling Uni ?’ is closed to new replies.