Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road lights
  • supercyril
    Free Member

I am looking to purchase a front light for my winter road bike/ commuter. It will be used on unlit B roads so I would like something fairly bright. I have a budget of around £100 and I was just going to buy the fairly popular Magicshine MJ872 but is all that light necessary for road riding? Would I be better with something smaller,lighter and dare I say better built?

Oh, my commute is a 36 mile round trip so I would like the battery to last 2hrs+ on a reasonable setting.
    Thanks

RealMan
    Free Member

I use an exposure joystick for night time commuting and it’s perfect. Nothing left on your bike to be nicked, and it lights up where you’re looking, and it’s perfect for when you’re going round a roundabout or whatever to shine in drivers eyes before they pull out of an entrance and t bone you. I feel so exposed and vulnerable on roads with just a bar light.

Also 3 hours at max setting, brilliant build quality, customer service etc. etc.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I have an MJ872, its great, very bright. But its not very focussed, its spreads the light everywhere. This probably makes it better for mtbing, but I use it for road riding anyway, I like the fact that the whole road is lit. But when going fast, I’d prefer something with a bit more throw perhaps.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    _tom_
    Free Member

DX P7 on low setting and a bikehut rear light on flash mode works well for me 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

i am using an Ay-up on the bars and another one on the helmet, and then a couple of tacx barend lights, on the back i have a pair of smart 1/2 watt lights.

Think redundancy, you never know if a light will fail, my commute is 33 round trip mostly on country roads with no lights, being stuck with no lights is not a situation to find yourself in.

doodlebug
    Free Member

This winters commute i’ve been using : http://www.bikelights.com/urban500.html
    Absolutely superb light ! There is a lot of different prices around the net at the moment, but i think you should get one just above your budget.

benz
    Free Member

Surely you could not go past Smudge and have some change for some chips on the way home….

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/4.html

supercyril
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I’ll have a look at those in the morning.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road lights’ is closed to new replies.