Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Road calipers on a 'cross bike – will I die?
  • beanum

I’ve got a Ragley Rodwell cross bike which I use for commuting and road riding. I’ve got no plans to take it offroad really so I’m wondering if I’m better off with road brakes? I’m running 105 levers with a Tektro mini-V on the front and Avid Shorty on the back (no Travel Agents) and I’m really struggling with the lack of braking in traffic compared to the V-brakes on my old RoadRat.
    Reading some of the comments about disk brakes on road bikes there seem to be lots of people who claim to be able to lock up their wheels or run the risk of going over the bars with normal road brakes so I’m thinking they must be worth a try simply for compatibility with my brake levers.
    The frame and forks both have a central hole which I assume is in the right place for fitting a caliper brake, I’ve seen people mention “long-drop” calipers which I also assume is to cover the increased tyre clearance on this sort of frame? Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

mattsccm
    Free Member

If the hole is there they will fit. You may have to use deep drop ones. Are you used to dual pivots and do you know what to expect. I swapped bikes to get ride of my cantis or v’s amd went for something with dual pivots. They were no better for me. Spoilt by discs as well.

beanum

I hired a road bike in Majorca a couple of years ago and had no problems cycling down the col to Soller (apart from the brakes being the wrong way round.. 😯 )

I’ve got some mates with “proper” road bikes, I guess it would make sense to grab a quick test ride first…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Road calipers on a 'cross bike – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.