Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road biking in the Peak District
  • RickyRah
    Free Member

I’m after a bit of advice for a long weekend of road biking we’re planning in the Peak District. Me and a couple of mates are meeting up in few weeks time for a 3 days of road riding. The problem is that I’ve never been since I was younger and don’t really know where to start. I don’t mind doing some research on routes (I’m looking to take in some long climbs) but I’d appreciate some advice on places to stay. If we travel by train from London we were going to head for Glossop. Any recommendations on cheap/bike friendly places to stay nearby would be a great help?

Thanks is advance.

Rochey
    Free Member

I would be interested in reading further as I’m looking to do the same soon.

AT
    Free Member

Lots of good climbs, Holme Moss, The Strines, Snake Pass, Winnats Pass etc. Can do a good 50 mile circuit from Glossop -> Snake Pass -> Ladybower -> The Strines -> Holmfirth -> Holme Moss -> Glossop.

sambob
    Free Member

You’d be better heading over to Hope or Edale instead of Glossop, as you can get to all the riding from Glossop anyway, but they’re much nicer places to stay. Castleton yoth hostel is nice, plenty of B+B’s in the Hope valley. One route would be From Hope over the Snake pass (big climb+descent) to Glossop, over Chunal (2 mile climb), through Hayfield and over to Chapel En Le frith and on to Whaley Bridge, up to Buxton, down the A6 to the edge of Chapel again, and up to Sparrow Pit the down Winnats Pass back into the Hope valley. 50 miles, 5500ft climbing.

tlr

How far do you want to ride each day? Look up the route of the Phil and Friends ride for o good 150km ride round some hills.

RickyRah
    Free Member

We’ll probably be looking to do 50-80 miles each day.

Thanks for the advice. The only reason we were looking at Glossop is because he may be getting the train and so we would need to be close to a station.

BadlyWiredDog

Glossop’s okay, but not overly blessed with group accommodation, though there are a few bed and brekkies – you can reach Hope, Edale and Castleton, Hathersage etc by train as well, though less frequently.

No Discerning Taste who posts on here runs an ace, bike-friendly B&B over Mellor way – google Lily Bank Farm – Youth Hostel at Edale is nice enough and well located, though maybe not if you’re accessing it from Edale station.

Loads of great riding and some half decent caffs as well. I live in Glossop and could be persuaded out as a human GPS in exchange for cake depending on when you’re up – there are some ace back road bits that you’ll likely miss if you take the more obvious main roads, a fair few of those are lovely as well, but some are worth avoiding if you can – I particularly loathe the Woodhead Pass, too many big lorries, bends and brain-dead drivers for a start.

RustySpanner

If you do go to Glossop, can’t beat the Globe for superb food and beer at very reasonable prices.
    Scruffy, old fashioned, friendly boozer type atmosphere.

Think they do accommodation too.

It’s veggie, but you’ll not notice.

Reviews here.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road biking in the Peak District’ is closed to new replies.