• This topic has 23 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Road bike mudguards
  • Dekerf
    Free Member

Right, preparing my commuting road bike for the winter and need some new mudguards…

So any recommendations?

and not those crud guard ones, got them last year, and what a waste of money. Great idea, but poor execution.

I am after a more permanent set ideally that fit well and keep the spray off me!!!

RealMan
    Free Member

crud roadracers. Fit to pretty much any bike, and stop the spray so well. I’ve got some touring style mudguards that don’t fit race bikes, and they don’t work nearly as well as the mk2s. Also they’re really light.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

SKS Chromoplastic here. Rock solid and don’t rattle…

Mister-P
    Free Member

OP says

and not those crud guard ones, got them last year, and what a waste of money

And the very first reply is…

crud roadracers

Do you have eyes on your frame? If so then a second vote for the SKS here.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

SKS Chromoplastic vote no 3.

RealMan
    Free Member

Figured he’d used the mk1 versions, the mk2s are much better.

sweepy
    Free Member

SKS chromoplastic No4

ourmaninthenorth

I use Tortec Cromo Tec reflective full guards. Just as good as SKS. Rattle free, and keep the water and sh*t off me and the bike.

EDIT: actually, only the rear is a Reflector. The front is a regular Tortec – it has a better mudflap, which is essential on the front guard.

Assuming you have the clearances/bosses to mount them….

ir_bandito
    Free Member

On a similar note, does anyone make clip-on ‘guards for 650c wheels? Just built a tiny bike up for my missus but the frame doesn’t have mudguard bosses.

djglover
    Free Member

sks again

Dekerf
    Free Member

Thanks, will look at the SKS range then.

The crud ones i had were the mk2 ones and no amount of bending or adjusting could get them to fit properly, ended up wearing chunks of them away…. parts of them kept falling off too, and not that quick to remove, so when i removed them this spring they were tossed!!!

Was hoping if i dont have eyelits (think the rear does, but not the front) the remains of the crud guards could be used, as the actual plastic attachments to the frame were good on the race guards.

headfirst
    Free Member

sks raceblades are good too, no rattling and easy on and off

Bez

SKS Race Blades if you have no eyes, SKS Longboards if you do, Velo Orange or Gilles Berthoud if you fancy some old school chic.

speaker2animals

headfirst – you must be a genius if you can fit raceblades and they don’t rattle. They aren’t bad, far from full coverage but if you are fitting to a “racer” with no clearances/eyes it’s probably Raceblades or Cruds. SKS did show a Raceblade long at Eurobike, just a question of whether they hit the market in time for winter. Look a “better” option than the cruds, in photos admittedly, who knows how well they will work.

Taff
    Free Member

OP says

and not those crud guard ones, got them last year, and what a waste of money

And the very first reply is…

crud roadracers

Do you have eyes on your frame?

In his defense… guard and roadracer are two different crud products 🙄 I’ll get my coat…

sl2000

you must be a genius if you can fit raceblades and they don’t rattle

Does that apply to everyone? If so I must be a genius 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

To be fair if he can’t get roadracers aligned properly he’s got bob hope of getting SKS race blades sorted. They’re not just more hassle to fit but they move about more on the bike and need constant fettling.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Dekerf. If you’ve still got the roadracers and don’t want them, i’ll have them.
    Ygm

DezB
    Free Member

and not those crud guard ones, got them last year, and what a waste of money. Great idea, but poor execution.

Wrong! What frame could you have that they don’t fit on?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Crud guards utter, utter shite!!! I never even got 12 months out of mine!! I have just fitted Giant fenders to my Defy and….. after 3rides the rear bridge holder thingy snapped!!! SKS chromoplastics that were on my old pompy never failed, best mud guards by miles IMHO. Wish they would fit on my Defy 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

The Crud Road Racers fit fine if you follow the fitting instructions. They work well, provide decent coverage and don’t rattle. The only minor issue I’ve had with them is that larger pieces of gravel can get caught betwixt tyre and guard.

Race Blades also seem to work fine for me, though a lot less coverage. I tend to use these on wetter summer days as they’re more easily fitted and detached.

cupra
    Free Member

Crud roadracers fitted to two bikes and they work great, have also used SKS chromoplastic in the past without issues but sks raceblades are utterly pointless imho.

rootes1

SKS Chromoplastic here. Rock solid and don’t rattle…

if they fit they are a no brainer…

if not and as an alternative to crud/raceblades

might be worth looking at Giants close clearance guards as they are a sort of cross between SKS proper and clip ons:

sure you cold mod proper SKS to do the same as the giant ones with some brackets

DezB
    Free Member

Those things wouldn’t go near my frame, at least I was able to mod the Roadracers to fit. Easy off, easy on. No problem.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Road bike mudguards’ is closed to new replies.